1.    #1  
    Read the press release at Handspring's site:
    http://www.handspring.com/company/PR...ine_021903.xml

Now, the conspiracy-theorist in me wonders if this could be used by carriers to effectively lock-down the device and make it such that you could only install applications that you download from their web sites. I can't imagine things going that way, but I can still worry.

Scott
    or how about disconnecting or otherwise messing up folks who they think are using too much bandwidth... one has to wonder about this kind of big brother stuff
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    or how about disconnecting or otherwise messing up folks who they think are using too much bandwidth... one has to wonder about this kind of big brother stuff
    Along those same lines, I was imagining them doing an inventory of your device to see if you had NotifyMail's WirelessModem app installed.

Of course, we could be worrying over nothing. Hopefully, this will be used for the power of good.

Scott
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I know it's easy to believe Satan is running the airwaves, but I have a feeling that the carriers are looking for a way to put the Treo's power in a "regular Joe" package. Just think about how may problems each of us has had, how much time we've spent with the idiots at our carriers who couldn't help and often fixed problems through extensive trial and error, or just how much learning curve we all experienced getting to know our new toys.

I think that the Treo, in it's current incarnation, is extremely intimidating to anyone with a normal inclination towards things of a technical nature. I'm sure we all know someone who couldn't figure out how to load a Palm app if their life depended on it (I actually have clients who pay mew to do this for them).

With the advent of technology the likes of that implied in this article, you could call your provider and they would be able to push an app to you. You wouldn't have to do a thing. Updates to ROM and base software could be managed centrally as well.

I don't think this will prevent those of us who really want to customize our devices from doing so. It may have us abandon the current schema for loading apps (Although I seriously doubt it).

Right now, you really have to be technically inclined to use a Treo (I know, it doesn't seem this way to those of us who've been waiting and waiting for the Treo, but believe me it is. I gave my wife, who is quite intelligent, my Treo in the car the other day to make a call, and she just couldn't figure it out). I believe they're looking for the MicroSoft answer to user interface. This is the current race in IT right now. Make a 3G device that any monkey can learn to use and you'll be fabulously wealthy like Mr. Gates.

Am I right or wrong ???
  5.    #5  
    KKenna, yes those are valid points. I can certainly understand the dilemma that the carriers go through with smartphones. Having more control on their end not only allows them to get a piece of the pie (ala Handango) but also, theoretically, allows them to reduce customer support issues (or the amount of time required to solve them) if they only allow apps which they've stamped with their seal of approval. We enjoy the liberal side of this which brings with it added complexity (for the average user) and the potential for crashing the phone. On the other side are things like the Orange Microsoft Smartphone and Verizon's BREW. Hopefully this sort of technology can be used to allow them to push apps and ensure stability for the average user while not constraining us "power users."

Scott
    Originally posted by Scott R

Along those same lines, I was imagining them doing an inventory of your device to see if you had NotifyMail's WirelessModem app installed.
    Then I play a game and call it something else or block the ability for it to detect that WirelessModem is installed!
    What worries me is that when I clicked on Action Engine's web site: htttp://www.actionengine.com/
    I got the notice: "The page cannot be displayed." The future is now unclear as ever...ouch
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    i think if we had to muddle through it, then everybody should suffer!!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    The Handspring press release has it wrong.

It's www.action-engine.com.

You need to add the hyphen between action and engine.

Cluemeister