1.    #1  
    Check this out:
    http://www.pocketloft.com/forums/sho...p?threadid=429

What do you guys think of this? I just got my two Treo 300's this past Friday. Now more details of the Sony TG50 have come out and I'm starting to have second thoughts.

I'd love to have the 320x320 screen, OS5/ARM, MP3 player, and memory expansion slot. Although I like the Treo's phone-integration, clear cover, and closed-lid functionality. Also, I'd have to pair the TG50 with the Sony T68i and Voicestream or AT&T service. The T68i can be had for $0, but I don't think I can get a signal inside my house with either of these services. Also, having unlimited data on Sprint changes the way I'll be using this device. With the TG50, I'd have to be constantly keeping track of my data usage.

I've got about 12 days left to return my Treo 300s, so I'll have to mull over it some more. I wonder if the TG50 might hit the stores before then.

Scott
    Scott,

Frankly I don't understand the comparison between the T300 and the Sony device... While I completely agree that the TG650 is VERY attractive from a spec perspective (the form factor is boring and clumsy), unless I missed something, there's NO PHONE functions.... Treo still wins in my book.

When Sony comes out with phone functions, I'm in...

L
    Lee Ladisky
    it's a beautiful unit and sony makes a great product but it doesn't really talk about how it is as a phone. IS it a phone too? sorry if that's a dumb question, but i read through that review and it talked about palm features, mp3, voice recording, but did not mention telephony
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    i see lee and i were typing at the same time with the same thoughts...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Aarrons12,

Great minds think...and sometimes they even think alike! ;-)

L
    Lee Ladisky
  6.    #6  
    You guys are correct. It is not a phone. However, it has Bluetooth built-in. This allows you to "pair" it with a phone such as the Sony-Ericsson T68i (which can be had for free after rebates on VoiceStream or AT&T). So, you'd use the T68i to talk on and the TG50 to surf the web, check email, instant message, etc. with the T68i tucked in your pocket (no wires needed). You could also spend an extra $60 (I think they've gotten that cheap in some places) on a Bluetooth wireless headset as well. So, for about $460, you'd have a multi-component (but very nice) solution.

Scott
    thanks but i'm not going backwards at this point... by the time i have gotten my $450 worth out of the treo300, there will be other devices out that will include what i want. personally the mp3 player and camera stuff aren't what i am looking for.

the best improvement i could see would be a better quality unit, followed by memory expansion slot and replaceable battery. however i am living with the treo quite nicely and would not trade it for 2 devices fer sure.
    For MP3 nothing beats the iPod. I'll stick with the Treo with the assumption that the next generation of Treos will look and feel much better than the Sony mentioned here and the Treo 270/300.
    Lungamente vive il Treo!
    moose
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
  9.    #9  
    Hey, no problem guys. Diversity is a good thing. Everyone's wants/needs are different. And as much as I'd like OS5/ARM and 320x320 (those are the top features for me), 12 days from now I'll probably still be posting here about my Treo 300 (but we'll see). I should post my impressions of this thing pretty soon. So far, despite some major headaches getting Outlook Calendar to sync, I've been very pleased. FYI, for those who may be on the fence about buying a Treo 300 and who may have been concerned about the poor screen of the Treo 90 (since you can't really play with a real Treo 300 at most stores), don't be. While the screen is still low-res, it's plenty bright and the colors are pretty vibrant.

Scott
    I think I'm pretty much sold on a convergence device. I really don't want to carry around two devices again. I agree with you Scott that the TG50 is a reat device! an OS 5, 320x320, integraed keypad, BT, mp3 player, voice recorder pda is very appealing. If you really need more powerful pda functionality, then I say go for it. But if the T300 adequately fullfills your pda requirements, then I would stick with it. However considering there probably won't be a upgrade for the T300 for the forseeable future, teh TG50 may be worth looking at. TG50 with the Sony Ericcson T608 would be incredibly hard to resist, but alas that phone is nowhere in sight...
    Originally posted by Scott R
    So far, despite some major headaches getting Outlook Calendar to sync, I've been very pleased.
    Scott
    i guess i was lucky, i never really used outlook calendar. i need email reminders of my appointments. one of the coolest things i have been able to do with my treo is sync it with yahoo calendar through their intellisync conduits, then i get 2 email reminders of my stuff, one several days and one a few hours before.

now if i could just solve the address book issue, since i don't use outlook for that either, and i don't use yahoo for mail. well, nothing is perfect.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i guess i was lucky, i never really used outlook calendar.
    Well, I've never had a problem syncing with Outlook before. I got a response from Chapura. They recommended doing a hard reset (ugh). I did it, resynced, and everything seems to have worked so far. I haven't reinstalled WeSync yet, though. Part of me wonders if that was somehow interfering with the Outlook calendar syncing (though it never gave me trouble on my Samsung i300), so I'm thinking hard about whether to reinstall WeSync.

Scott