webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > LG webOS powered TVs expected in Early 2014 in 82 countries
LG webOS powered TVs expected in Early 2014 in 82 countries
Like Tree26Likes

Old 02/27/2013, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

According to The Verge’s sources, and loosely confirmed by LG VP of communications John Taylor, we can expect LG Smart TVs to run on webOS starting in early 2014, with a launch possibly expected at CES.

Not only with webOS be available on LG’s Smart TVs, but the company also plans to integrate it into its main TV products. WebOS-powered TVs would ship in “82 countries with multiple screen sizes and price points,” according to LG’s North American VP of smart TV, Samuel Chang.

LG webOS-Powered TVs Expected In Early 2014 | Ubergizmo
Pilotovef is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 02/27/2013, 02:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rnp

Finally, webOS in Brazil... but not in phones...

Detailą: the App Catalog come together?

Detail˛: IF... the App Catalog come, the developers must enable his apps to other countries or this gonna be automatic?

So many questions...

Best Regards...
Old 02/27/2013, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

All it requires is a suitable battery and you've got yourself the worlds first 40" Tablet. Take that Surface Pro.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, xandros9, davidtm and 4 others like this.
Thanked By: Alm_Makarov
Old 02/27/2013, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

But Bill Gates has an 80" tablet!
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/27/2013, 11:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
All it requires is a suitable battery and you've got yourself the worlds first 40" Tablet. Take that Surface Pro.
I found the video of similar device from Lenovo. Hope the LG will bring us the same

Pilotovef is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by hagster likes this.
Old 07/08/2013, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
News Contributor

For 2014: LG´s smart TV with webOS platform.

Updating the information:
At the recent Streaming Media East conference in New York City, Matthew Durgin, director of smart TV content for LG Electronics, was asked if Android would ever find a home on LG sets.

"Not that I can see, to be frank with you, Durgin said. "I think that LG's TV platform has evolved to the point where it's become a very strong differentiator for us in the market. We do have a motion remote which actually has a better experience than most smart TVs out there. Also, we've recently made an investment in WebOS. We purchased WebOS from HP. Now we have a development team in Silicon Valley who's developing for the 2014 platform using WebOS."

LG: Don't Expect to See Android on Our Connected TVs - Streaming Media Magazine
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, HelloNNNewman, geekpeter and 1 others like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 07/08/2013, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

If this is true, I may need to re-think making some enyo apps...

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, HelloNNNewman and endamcgrath like this.
Old 07/08/2013, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

why would you think this isn't true?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 07/09/2013, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sadly, I'm still a student so I can't afford one. I bet that they'll cost over 9000$ ;D
Old 07/09/2013, 01:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

I highly doubt that. They want this in the hands of the average consumers fast to gain marketshare. That's a highly competitive market, that is actually shrinking. More homes have no TV's of any type right now because of mobile and tablet devices and streaming services. These companies can't come in with prices that make consumers balk... they need to sell a lot of them so I'd bet we'll see them come in at today's prices.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 07/09/2013, 08:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Interesting. According to the article zero tv means most of them have the physical tv set but they don't have cable.
Zero tv really means zero cable.
Overall cable tv penetration is about 84%. I remember the days when it was in the low 90's.

"Nielsen's study suggests that this new group may have left traditional TV for good. While three-quarters actually have a physical TV set, only 18 percent are interested in hooking it up through a traditional pay TV subscription."
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2013, 09:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

There's another article about 'Zero TV' households (in Forbes I believe) saying the newest generation coming out of college over the past 5 years has no TV at all, but instead simply uses their smartphones, laptop, or tablet to stream video. This newest demographic coming up is so used to mobile devices, they don't feel the need to spend money on a large stationary TV. (I'm definitely not in that demographic).

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2013, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Guess I'm ahead of the trend... I've been "Zero TV" since 1996.

The advance to digital broadcast helps. When I was in a major market I built my own DB4 Antenna and pulled in the major market and the neighboring secondary market just in a stationary position. If I aimed it right I could pull in another secondary or, in a different direction, a tertiary market. Indoors, in an apartment, I had a range of about 50 miles. With analog passthrough turned on for my converter box I could also pick up 3 Canadian stations.

With the homemade DB4 in the optimum position I had (if I remember correctly) 23 channels, including those X.2 and X.3 subchannels. I had a movie channel, weather channels, old school TV show channels, current TV rebroadcast channels, cartoon channels and even a music video channel... There is no lack out there in major markets for broadcast. Many locals are subscribing to services to run on their X.2 and X.3 subchannels which expand their content. PBS is a great believer in digital broadcast and their expanded output is very nice. X.2 is for the kids and X.3 is food/home/travel shows.

Now that I live in a tertiary market I'm down to 10 channels and there are no subscription services expanding content outside of PBS. I picked up a Roku 2 XS last year, shortly after moving here. Roku is a nice way to get your foot in the door with streaming to your TV. Watched tons of NetFlix. God bless Plex media server...

I just stepped up to the Sony NSG-GS7 with Google TV. When Best Buy had them $50 off last week, I couldn't resist any longer. It's definitely a big advancement over the Roku. Pretty cool to have a full web browser (Chrome) right there on the TV. The next step is getting a Channel Master CM-7001. It will integrate the Broadcast TV into the Sony box and give me TV and Streaming in the same interface, plus DVR capabilities.

LG had better bring a set top box to market... I'll be swapping over when they do.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 07/09/2013, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

My son had no TV for the 4 years in college. He claimed he never missed it. Yet, when he moved away for a job in another state, he bought a TV first week he was there. Too bad webos TVs weren't out yet.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2013, 07:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

<--- 22, no TV, no college.

@NNNewman, thanks for linking the article... quite informative..

As another "Zero TV" person here, i've never had much use for a TV, especially a large one. Anything i decide to watch, i find online, all of the music i enjoy (aside from what my mother owns) i've likewise discovered online.

Having watched Steve McQueen's "The Cincinnati Kid" in HQ on my Pre+'s "tiny" screen, courtesy of YouTube, i realized that the breathtaking, lifelike clarity was something a TV could never offer. The pixel density of the Pre allowed for a true "same room" experience, while a TV is often mis-calibrated in a garish way, with pixels being visible from five feet away. A TV is also something you can't take to the bathroom with you.

I don't mean to crap on TV as a medium, it's just for me personally, it's a step backwards. I want to watch what i want, when i want it and where i want it, rather than having a $100 cable subscription, where the networks decide what to offer. A lot of the stuff i watch isn't even available through the traditional means, being from the '60s and '70s. YouTube on the other hand is a breath of fresh air. I've watched dozens of full length movies on my Pre+, like Bullitt, The Mechanic, Gone in 60 Seconds, The Getaway ('72) and many others i don't remember off the top of my head, since it's been over a year since then.

That said, i'm not completely averse to owning a TV as a device, something to keep around the house. Five years ago, i used to use a 23" monitor, but since buying a 10" netbook, it's been sitting unused.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a used, refurb or even broken Vizio E-series 24" and rebuilding it around an IPS screen. Not something i plan to do this year, but the TV's lack of pedestal appeals to me , and it would make a good hybrid TV/monitor for when and if i'll need one.

Pics here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/VIZIO+-+...HDTV/8293043.p (black)
Vizio E-Series Razor 24" Smart LED 1080p 60Hz Wi-Fi Vizio Apps - White - BJ's Wholesale Club (white)

Note: it's supported by a "loop" behind the screen, rather than the usual base
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 01:55 AM   #16 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I don't care of "Zero TV" movement and i don't care about LG webOS TVs as well.
But i hope we phone/tablet users will get some software bits out of the licensing of webOS by LG and perhaps new app development. And therefore an early 2014 product release is a great sign.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 02:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Do Smart TVs have the ability to add apps?
rnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 03:19 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnld View Post
Do Smart TVs have the ability to add apps?
What do you mean? Sideloading?

I'm sure they will offer some kind of an app and media catalog to go with it, since content purchases are the point of selling a "Smart TV", having some sort of a revenue stream long after the product leaves the store shelves.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 03:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Guess I'm ahead of the trend... I've been "Zero TV" since 1996.

The advance to digital broadcast helps. When I was in a major market I built my own DB4 Antenna and pulled in the major market and the neighboring secondary market just in a stationary position. If I aimed it right I could pull in another secondary or, in a different direction, a tertiary market. Indoors, in an apartment, I had a range of about 50 miles. With analog passthrough turned on for my converter box I could also pick up 3 Canadian stations.

With the homemade DB4 in the optimum position I had (if I remember correctly) 23 channels, including those X.2 and X.3 subchannels. I had a movie channel, weather channels, old school TV show channels, current TV rebroadcast channels, cartoon channels and even a music video channel... There is no lack out there in major markets for broadcast. Many locals are subscribing to services to run on their X.2 and X.3 subchannels which expand their content. PBS is a great believer in digital broadcast and their expanded output is very nice. X.2 is for the kids and X.3 is food/home/travel shows.

Now that I live in a tertiary market I'm down to 10 channels and there are no subscription services expanding content outside of PBS. I picked up a Roku 2 XS last year, shortly after moving here. Roku is a nice way to get your foot in the door with streaming to your TV. Watched tons of NetFlix. God bless Plex media server...

I just stepped up to the Sony NSG-GS7 with Google TV. When Best Buy had them $50 off last week, I couldn't resist any longer. It's definitely a big advancement over the Roku. Pretty cool to have a full web browser (Chrome) right there on the TV. The next step is getting a Channel Master CM-7001. It will integrate the Broadcast TV into the Sony box and give me TV and Streaming in the same interface, plus DVR capabilities.

LG had better bring a set top box to market... I'll be swapping over when they do.
I'm pretty sure that free terrestrial only does not count as zero TV, if it did then something like 60% of the UK population are zero TV. I think it means you don't receive any live TV services and rely purely on streaming services (and physical media).

For the record we have never felt the need for any pay TV services although we did subscribe for a couple of years during the OnDigital era as a way to get a STB for digital (was practically impossible to just buy one).
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/2013, 10:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rnp

Guys, please... don't forget the rest of the world...

Here in Brazil; for example, TVs is selling more and more each year, and in the next year we gonna host the World Cup... you cannot imagine how many explosions we have in our TV's market in each Soccer Cup...

The same way, I believe that there is many other countries with a giant market to TVs... and more with streaming services installed!

Best Regards...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0