Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I'm pretty sure that free terrestrial only does not count as zero TV...
    I'm near zero, then. My broadcast viewing is never that great an amount compared to (used to be) VHS/DVD and (now) streaming...

It's nice to have the option to look out a "live window," but I'm only rarely following any shows...

Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    Do Smart TVs have the ability to add apps?
    Yes they do... Roku has Apps (real Apps that do things like games or screensavers with options) as well as channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    What do you mean? Sideloading?

I'm sure they will offer some kind of an app and media catalog to go with it, since content purchases are the point of selling a "Smart TV", having some sort of a revenue stream long after the product leaves the store shelves.
    Both Roku and Google TV have an "App and Content" type "Store" with both free and paid selections.

The Google TV offerings are somewhat slim considering the volume of Android Apps that are out there. It's not just a compatibility issue - many things that will run are simply not marked by the developers as suited to GTV. Sideloading of free Apps becomes a bit of a necessity then, and requires some trial and error to determine what works and what doesn't.

For example, from my minimal tests thus far:
    Pulse News Reader - works
    Lookout Mobile Security - not working
    Coin Dozer - not working

Some of the things that are marked as working, do not function well. The AccuWeather app is horrible. The widget doesn't auto-refresh and there are no settings to make it refresh on a schedule - you have to enter the widget and click a refresh button - that's just broken. I'll be looking for a replacement from the free Apps and trying some sideloads.

Some of the things work surprisingly well, like Scanner Radio. One app that just works on phone/tablet/TV. Nothing broken about the way it behaves.

I realize sideloading paid apps is a no no (I won't be attempting that) and sideloading APKs might leave my system open to exploits... But one has to fiddle...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I just stepped up to the Sony NSG-GS7 with Google TV. When Best Buy had them $50 off last week, I couldn't resist any longer. It's definitely a big advancement over the Roku. Pretty cool to have a full web browser (Chrome) right there on the TV. The next step is getting a Channel Master CM-7001. It will integrate the Broadcast TV into the Sony box and give me TV and Streaming in the same interface, plus DVR capabilities.
    so you can route the HDMI from the Channel Master into the Sony device and control the tuner with the Sony remote?
    "zero TV"???

i haven't paid for television service in over a decade, i haven't had a television set for about 5 yrs, and i haven't had home-based internet service for the last 3 months.

i thought i was just some poor broke dude that couldn't afford the luxuries of telecommunicated entertainment media.

turns out, i'm on the cutting edge!! i had no idea i was so hip!

i kinda suspected it though. i do say 'whatever' a lot. that's a sure sign of being cool.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    so you can route the HDMI from the Channel Master into the Sony device and control the tuner with the Sony remote?
    Yep... Tuner and program guide... Plus the DVR functions as well. All on one remote and through one input channel on the TV bringing me OTA + Streaming unified.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    There's another article about 'Zero TV' households (in Forbes I believe) saying the newest generation coming out of college over the past 5 years has no TV at all, but instead simply uses their smartphones, laptop, or tablet to stream video. This newest demographic coming up is so used to mobile devices, they don't feel the need to spend money on a large stationary TV. (I'm definitely not in that demographic).
    This new Demographic may need to reallocate their money on new eyes!
    I don't quite get all this talk about mobile TV usurping a non-mobile version. Hasn't the trend in the past 10 years been to larger televisions, because the cost of HD viewing has gone down - considerably - and people actually want to see what's going on with more clarity.

I have difficulty understanding how some people (younger kids I guess), can say a 4.5 inch screen - or 10 inch for that matter - is a preferred choice to watch a sports game (or CGI movie) over a 50 inch HD screen. If it's a hockey game, good luck following the puck (Canuck eh?).
    College / University kids may be embracing the "zero TV" option, but give it a few years (when their eyes start to go), and evidence may change their thinking.
    Computer Vision Syndrome - American Optometric Association
    " Computer Vision Syndrome describes a group of eye and vision-related problems that result from prolonged computer use. Many individuals experience eye discomfort and vision problems when viewing a computer screen for extended periods. The level of discomfort appears to increase with the amount of computer use. "

Robert Joyce, O.D.: Overworked Eyes: Will Your Computer Make You Go Blind?
    " ... computer vision issues are ranked by OSHA No. 1 on the list of health-related office complaints. The National Eye Institute, again unsurprisingly, recently released data showing a 66 percent increase in the prevalence of myopia [shortsightedness] in the 25 years since the advent of the personal computer. "
    Increase in Prevalence of Myopia in the United States Between 1971-1972 and 1999-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Guys, please... don't forget the rest of the world...

Here in Brazil; for example, TVs is selling more and more each year, and in the next year we gonna host the World Cup... you cannot imagine how many explosions we have in our TV's market in each Soccer Cup...

The same way, I believe that there is many other countries with a giant market to TVs... and more with streaming services installed!

Best Regards...
    Good point ; those LG`s webOS smart Tvs have to come with models for every pocket and before June 12th,2014

The Official Website of the FIFA World Cup? - FIFA.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansing2002 View Post
    This new Demographic may need to reallocate their money on new eyes!
    I don't quite get all this talk about mobile TV usurping a non-mobile version.

I have difficulty understanding how some people (younger kids I guess), can say a 4.5 inch screen - or 10 inch for that matter - is a preferred choice.
    don't worry. the "new demographic" is kids who spend as much of their time away from home - and their parents - as possible. Pretty much like they always have. so now they have their personal multimedia devices to gain connectivity without needing to be near a wall outlet/cable jack.

eventually they will grow older and lazier, have unplanned pregnancies, and become couch potatoes that want a big screen to park in front of. Pretty much like they always have.
    RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    I have been living without TV since 1993, but I'll buy one if it runs with webOS
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I highly doubt that. They want this in the hands of the average consumers fast to gain marketshare. That's a highly competitive market, that is actually shrinking. More homes have no TV's of any type right now because of mobile and tablet devices and streaming services. These companies can't come in with prices that make consumers balk... they need to sell a lot of them so I'd bet we'll see them come in at today's prices.
    I wouldn't be so sure, that company like LG would be considering consumers (when it comes to pricing their gadgets) when releasing their latest generation of TV's. LG announced new sets of televisions models one set 55-inch screen and another with 65-inch display, with high price tags costing around $5,999 and $6,999 dollars each set. So I could image that if LG decides to add latest technology(like 4K, officially known as Ultra High Definition), into their WebOS powered television with voice control it will cost insanely expensive for regular folks.

Which again comes mind, the real significance of LG buying WebOS. I really don't see the magic or logic of LG, only considering WebOS operating system to power (home) appliances , and it's also so silly of LG only making TVs that we could guarantee will cost more than $5,000 which it again will limit consumers buying them. Let's hope that some idiots at LG really thinks things full head on(right and with proper management) and executes things correctly this time around with WebOS. I think its enough of knuckleheads of executives/CEO's burning through nice chances and opportunities with WebOS....LG you bought the rights of WebOS, make it shine
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    But will it take 5 minutes to turn (boot) on?
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    But will it take 5 minutes to turn (boot) on?
    If it does, I may seriously consider slitting my wrists.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    brandongoeszoom likes this.
    WebOS on a TV sounds nice...
    Problem is: how do I take my 55" TV with me, when I want to make a call on the go? Will people look awkwardly, when a TV that size sticks out of my back pocket, when I enter a bar?

Just joking.
    War doesn't prove who's right, only who's left...
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    WebOS on a TV sounds nice...
    Problem is: how do I take my 55" TV with me, when I want to make a call on the go? Will people look awkwardly, when a TV that size sticks out of my back pocket, when I enter a bar?

Just joking.
    I'm sure a lot of folks will be asking you questions, is that a TV you carrying on your pocket or that you are too happy to see them
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    Buddy1969 likes this.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12