1.    #1  
    I was browsing http://www.treomb.com , and saw a thread from some dissatisfied customer claiming Handspring is going bankrupt. Does anyone else know anything about this? I just bought a 300, (it rocks), but if there is a shred of truth to this I might buy the extended warranty to avoid going through Handspring for possible repair(s). Here is a snippet from one of his many emails to Handspring: "your company is going bankrupt (by the way this was confirmed to me by many sources, including the retailer from which I bought my phone) and to cut down costs your using completely untrained and non professional staff." Anyway, I hope it's not true...............
    <b>Weinerdog</b>
    Originally posted by leafswild
    I was browsing http://www.treomb.com , and saw a thread from some dissatisfied customer claiming Handspring is going bankrupt. Does anyone else know anything about this?
    Never take too seriously an unhappy customer berating a company he/she is having problems with. At least not until they are calmed. Hey, I get unhappy too, I know how it works.
    If indeed Handspring is going bankrupt, the normal procedure is not to be in cahoots with the entire world about it but rather with its lawyers. And although Handspring is restructuring and laying off some workers, the economy dictates this behavior from many companies in the US nowadays.
    (BTW, the dissatisfied customer you have mentioned is in Europe, and handspring might be "restructuring" differently overseas.)

Vivent longtemps le Treo!
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by leafswild
    I was browsing http://www.treomb.com , and saw a thread from some dissatisfied customer claiming Handspring is going bankrupt. Does anyone else know anything about this? I just bought a 300, (it rocks), but if there is a shred of truth to this I might buy the extended warranty to avoid going through Handspring for possible repair(s). Here is a snippet from one of his many emails to Handspring: "your company is going bankrupt (by the way this was confirmed to me by many sources, including the retailer from which I bought my phone) and to cut down costs your using completely untrained and non professional staff." Anyway, I hope it's not true...............
    Read the original tale of woe.

I see this guy got his "news" on this from a sales clerk with a vendor who no longer is licensed to sell Handspring products. It is pretty common in my experience for dropped vendors to always blame and bad-mouth the company that stopped supplying them, rather than accept any blame for themselves for not meeting quota etc.

Let's see if he relies on this clerk for his stock tips and investment advice hereon out. Gee I wonder if the vendor's latest hot line of product might just happen to come from a company that the sales clerk says is going to really hit it big in the financial news soon. That would be a real coincidence.

Not to say Treos never have problems or that Handspring hasn't had its share of financial woes lately. But so have hundreds of other reputable companies, including Palm itself, etc. Who knows what will happen next to any of them?
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    HS canned their marketing department. It's because they're letting the phone companies that sell their communicators do the marketing now, just like other phone manufacturers do.

As for bankruptcy, I read somewhere in the past month that HS has enough set aside in the coffers to keep going through the end of this year or next. Don't expect to see their soft yellow underbelly floating upside anytime soon.

Also, they've got plenty of innovation that's marketable. I would expect to see a merger long before a bankruptcy.
    I understand that Handspring basically put everything into Treo development because they needed the Treo to be a hit for Handspring to survive. Well... the Treo, while applauded, has not been a commercial hit.

So, my question is does anyone know if Handspring has the resources to develop a 2nd generation Treo? And, if not, what hope do they have of surviving?

-C
    HS will never say what they've got planned, but numerous folks have been privy to leaks that a new communicator is in development. But there are few details. One source says a new form factor.

As for the Treo being a success, they've changed their distribution channels and are letting their carriers do the marketing instead of advertising them to consumers. Last report I saw said that over 100,000 Treos have been sold since their inception. The numbers are probably better that other Palm phones on the market. HS got out of the PDA market and has made a big splash in the niche communicator market.
    Last edited by J. Kevin Wolfe; 02/19/2003 at 01:31 PM.
    Examining the Handspring financial report for the quarter ending in December of 2003, it seems that Handspring had a quarterly loss of about $12 million. They have about $53 million in cash right now, and about $85 million in current assets. They spent about $5 milllion in R&D, which has not changed much compared to the previous year (which I assume was during the Treo development).

It seems that Handspring has approximately 1 year left to operate, given current assets and expenses. In that year, they have enough resources to develop the next generation line of Treo type devices. I assume that these will be the 3rd generation, since I assume that Handspring has not been sitting still, and has been developing a 2nd generation model since the release of the 1st generation Treo.

The financial statement is at:

http://www.shareholder.com/handsprin...eleaseID=99902

-C
    Furthermore, Handspring has been working very hard to develop strong relationships with the carriers, leading to the Treo being offered through the multitude of carrier retail sites. For instance, T-mobile just announced, within the last couple weeks, that it will be selling the Treo through its retail outlets. I don't believe you can underestimate the impact on demand of people being able to pick up the phone, handle it and really see what it can do.

Beyond this, HS has dramatically cut its expenses going forward and effectively eliminated any inventory risk as the distribution chain is almost entirely pull oriented, there is an order before HS makes a product.

All in all, the strategy is there, just have to see how the game plays out, but I would be shorting HS stock just yet.

Gargoyle
    sprnt still needs to improve ads. they need to hire t mobile ad agency.

maybe handspring will be bought.
    Ok

we all know Handspring is in trouble and their "Assets" are too valuable to disappear in bankruptcy.

So now I pose this question to all.

Who, in your opinion, would make the best merger/acquistion partner for Handspring...and why
    I doubt they will be bought until they are bordering on insolvency, which I don't think they are right now. I believe Dubinsky, Hawkins, et. al hold at least a significant plurality of shares, if not an outright majority and I doubt they are particularly disposed toward working for corporate bosses again. If communicators take off, I could see the rumored strategic alliance with RIM turning into a merger. The software branch of the Palm spinoff will probably stake its fortunes to licensing the OS and not be particularly interested in mergine with anyone. The hardware branch really doesn't have anything of value to offer except, maybe, their customer list.

JMHO

Gargoyle
    Originally posted by gargoylejps
    . . . but I would be shorting HS stock just yet.

Gargoyle
    Didn't you mean "wouldn't" ???

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    Here is a nice and informative article about the current status and future of Handspring. From the looks of it, things are not too good, but I wouldn't give up on HS in just yet...