webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > HP Slate 7 hands-on
HP Slate 7 hands-on
Like Tree8Likes

Old 02/24/2013, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

From engadget:
HP Slate 7 hands-on

Well, this might just be the biggest news to come out of Mobile World Congress. Long after discontinuing the TouchPad (and the rest of its mobile devices, for that matter) HP is back with a new tablet. This time, though, it runs not webOS, but an old safety: Android. Interestingly, though, HP is returning to the tablet space not with a high-end flagship, but a lower-end device priced to sell. The Slate 7 is priced at $169, with modest specs that include a dual-core A9 processor, 1GB of RAM, 16GB of built-in storage, a 7-inch, 1,024 x 600 display and dual 3MP / VGA cameras. All that said, it could worth a second look when it goes on sale in April. Meet us past the break to see what we mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg livedsc043602.jpg (61.6 KB, 28 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by somline; 02/24/2013 at 02:06 PM.
somline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

HP to make $169 Android tablet Slate 7

HP to make $169 Android tablet, eschewing Windows - Yahoo! News
Old 02/24/2013, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Let's keep the news in the Mobile Nations family

From Android Central:

Hands-on with the HP Slate 7 | Android Central
Old 02/24/2013, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
Let's keep the news in the Mobile Nations family
I just don't trust a site (family) selling fake batteries to it's members :-)
Old 02/24/2013, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

From the engadget article: "...with specs as middling as its build quality."

So, not much has changed. It even looks like the industrial designers basically iterated the Touchpad/Touchpad Go and said, "Hey, look, here's an Android tablet! And it's got Beats Audio! Hey...come back over here!"

About the only good thing about this is that it's more or less running stock Android. The Nexus 7 still reigns at only $30 more, though, and it runs Android 4.2.

HP really seems to have no idea what it's trying to do, even when it plays at the low-end.

Last edited by dignitary; 02/24/2013 at 03:19 PM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
In the meantime, we'd like to say thank you to HP for using stock Android -- the world really doesn't need another custom skin, don'tcha think?
In the meantime, we'd like to say no thank you to HP for using Android -- the world really doesn't need another Android tablet, don'tcha think?

There you Engadget, fixed that line for you

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by somline, geekpeter and RumoredNow like this.
Old 02/24/2013, 04:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I guess they really are done with WebOS ?. Im actually mad about this..... >. What really ticks me about this, is not that it's Android, but it has no effort in it's specs...its like what they did with us.

HP Slate 7 specs | Android Central

Last edited by Ventus221; 02/24/2013 at 05:19 PM.
Ventus221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

pity their "budget" entry is still not very budgety, my 7" allwinner tablet cost a massive £56, why would anyone buy their garbage for more when u can get cheaper that do exactly the same.

not like i expected better from them ofc.
Old 02/24/2013, 05:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

HP,

Did you screw up again...

$169 should be $99...

With the Palm tech they should have Palm TouchStone...

Charging with a USB... so year 2000...

Got my kids a low budget tab for the holidays (NextBook 7, with Google Play, for $79)...

HP You still do not get it...

HP TouchPad, Touchpad Go... could have been...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 02/24/2013, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

<threads merged>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 06:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I could see using Android as a hold over for open webOS to improve (from what we have been working with through webOS Ports that you guys can get, it is no where near being "shippable"). But, I don't know how I feel about this SLate 7 device. The ElitePad is a great looking tablet, on the other hand. The Slate 7 just looks like a rebranded tablet.
Old 02/24/2013, 09:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Oh my! HP want's to release a 7 inch tablet no one has ever thought of that before... except amazon, barnes and noble, kobo, google etc.

Considering the above i really don't see how hp releasing a 7 inch tablet is big news. I'm also kind of surprised they did. Maybe people really are climbing all over each other to get a 7 inch android tablet, so they'll just take HP because it's there. Oh well. HP not doing anything with WebOS is certainly NOT a surprise. I'm over it.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 09:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh my! HP want's to release a 7 inch tablet no one has ever thought of that before... except amazon, barnes and noble, kobo, google etc.

Considering the above i really don't see how hp releasing a 7 inch tablet is big news. I'm also kind of surprised they did. Maybe people really are climbing all over each other to get a 7 inch android tablet, so they'll just take HP because it's there. Oh well. HP not doing anything with WebOS is certainly NOT a surprise. I'm over it.
You know when some of us were begging HP to release the TouchPad Go, others were saying that there wasn't a market for it. The market leader was sporting a 10 inch, so why should HP? Just think, HP was poised to beat Apple to the market with a 7 inch tablet and they blew it just like they have done with everything else. Samsung has always had a 7 inch tablet, BTW.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/24/2013, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

$169 for a 7" Android tablet with Beats and dual cameras? For the average consumer who doesn't follow the constant clusterf***s from HP, this sounds like a good deal. HP is still a household name, once again for the average consumer, and people will buy them. That being said, I'll probably pick one up at the next HP fire sale for $49.99 +/- a few bucks. Release is set for April, so the fire sale shall be in May. Setting the date in my Pre3 calendar.........done.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc likes this.
Old 02/24/2013, 10:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
$169 for a 7" Android tablet with Beats and dual cameras? For the average consumer who doesn't follow the constant clusterf***s from HP, this sounds like a good deal. HP is still a household name, once again for the average consumer, and people will buy them. That being said, I'll probably pick one up at the next HP fire sale for $49.99 +/- a few bucks. Release is set for April, so the fire sale shall be in May. Setting the date in my Pre3 calendar.........done.
I think this device even though not top specs will sell. Price wise, it's priced correctly. Is the performance good enough with the cpu? If not, it's DOA. Can this (and other devices in the family) eventually be a trojan horse for open webOS? Maybe. Enda McGrath's (from open webos) tweet suggests so. We'll see with the higher end models which might be able to run dual oses better with better cpus and more memory.
I think HP actually needs any tablet to show stockholders it isn't completely out of the mobile space. Not an inspiring device. But we'll see what other higher end models look like.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 02:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Aus Article:

THE Mobile World Congress gets underway in Barcelona today, but already announcements about new devices are flowing thick and fast.

Hewlett Packard, for example, has announced that its new consumer-oriented tablet computer will run Google's Android operating system – not Microsoft Windows 8 RT, a cut down version of Windows 8 written for ARM processors. HP will continue to sell a tablet with a fully-blown version of Windows 8 for the enterprise market.

RT cannot run regular Windows desktop applications, a limitation reflected in sales of Microsoft's consumer-oriented Surface tablet. Those sales have been underwhelming.

The new Android HP Slate 7 will have a 7-inch screen, making it similar in size to the Amazon Kindle Fire, and it will cost $199 in Australia. It will go on sale here in April.

HP's previous consumer oriented tablet, the HP TouchPad, was a disaster. The TouchPad, which used Palm's WebOS software, was on sale in Australia for less than a week in 2011 before being withdrawn from the local market because of poor US sales.

Speaking in Barcelona on the weekend, HP mobile devices head Alberto Torres said the Slate 7 will use a relatively "vanilla" version of Android.

The company is avoiding the interface modifications Asian manufacturers apply and the deeper changes imposed by Amazon and Barnes & Noble for their tablets.

Competitor Samsung Electronics earlier announced it would launch an 8-inch Android tablet that will compete directly with Apple's very successful iPad mini, which launched in the US last year.

The Galaxy Note 8.0 will be slightly larger than the Slate 7. It will run Android and accept pen input.

Samsung has an extensive range of tablets in the mobile device market. They include the Galaxy Tab 7, Galaxy Tab 10.2, Galaxy Note 10.1, and the vanilla Android Galaxy Nexus 10.

Mozilla, the non-profit foundation behind the Firefox Web browser, is showing off its new smartphone operating system in Barcelona.

Yesterday it said phones running Firefox OS would appear mid year, starting in Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela.

But the Firefox OS faces an uphill battle taking any market share from its closest rival Google's Android, which is well established as a free, configurable, open source mobile operating system.

Mozilla Foundation however has an ally in phone companies, who are interested in seeing an alternative to Apple and Google, particularly one coming from a non-profit foundation. Thirteen phone companies around the world have committed to supporting Firefox phones.

Phone makers that plan to make Firefox phones include Huawei and ZTE of China and LG of Korea. The first devices will be inexpensive touchscreen smartphones.

All the phones will run on chips supplied by San Diego-based Qualcomm, whose CEO Paul Jacobs appeared at Mozilla's press event.

Huawei too has been early to announce a new smartphone in Barcelona – the Ascend P2, which it calls "the fastest smartphone in the world".

It has a relatively small 4.7-inch, high definition screen, a powerful 1.5 Gigahertz quad-core processor and is 4G LTE capable. The company said it can achieve speeds of 150 Mbps, fast enough to download a two-hour high-definition movie in less than five minutes.

~*~

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aust...-1226584908004

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT Audio-Dock ~ HP iPaq. hx-2790b.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 02/25/2013 at 02:11 AM.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/25/2013, 02:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
I guess they really are done with WebOS ?. Im actually mad about this..... >. What really ticks me about this, is not that it's Android, but it has no effort in it's specs...its like what they did with us.

HP Slate 7 specs | Android Central
Maybe they are trying to kill Android.....
renater is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 02:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
it sounds like a watered down touchpad go with less awesomeness.
Old 02/25/2013, 02:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewl88 View Post
I think this device even though not top specs will sell. Price wise, it's priced correctly. Is the performance good enough with the cpu? If not, it's DOA. Can this (and other devices in the family) eventually be a trojan horse for open webOS? Maybe. Enda McGrath's (from open webos) tweet suggests so. We'll see with the higher end models which might be able to run dual oses better with better cpus and more memory.
I think HP actually needs any tablet to show stockholders it isn't completely out of the mobile space. Not an inspiring device. But we'll see what other higher end models look like.
their problem is that nothing stands out or is unique or even flashy looking, expensive hardware for what it it, stock android, i mean why wouldnt you get a knockoff chineese import instead?
Old 02/25/2013, 04:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I just...I mean if the bootloader is unlocked, ill be less hostile about it. But hey, HP could have a port of Open WebOS ready to run on this, will a whole slew of workable drivers....Ill call it here.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0