webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Don't Believe the 4G Hype
Don't Believe the 4G Hype
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By berdinkerdickle
  • 1 Post By berdinkerdickle
  • 2 Post By sledge007

Old 02/13/2013, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tazmorator (Leader Emeritus)

It ain't nothin
Attached Images
File Type: png shot_000001.png (255.4 KB, 43 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 02/13/2013 at 06:53 PM.
berdinkerdickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and sledge007 like this.
Old 02/13/2013, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is that sarcasm?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

What is this 4G you speak of? 'Tis foreign speak to us Sprint FrankenPre2 users.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

4g always makes me laugh, sure for some home user downloading a PC game thats a few GB, the speeds useful, but what in the name of all thats weird, is that speed required for on a mobile phone? it does what? shave a few ms off showing a website? download angry birds a few seconds faster?

tv/netflix is already good enough on hsdpa or god forbid *gasp* wifi, 3G/HSDPA is good enough tbh.
Old 02/13/2013, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

4G is relatively expensive for the price of data used compared to residential, isn't it?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
4g always makes me laugh, sure for some home user downloading a PC game thats a few GB, the speeds useful, but what in the name of all thats weird, is that speed required for on a mobile phone? it does what? shave a few ms off showing a website? download angry birds a few seconds faster?

tv/netflix is already good enough on hsdpa or god forbid *gasp* wifi, 3G/HSDPA is good enough tbh.
Helps quite a bit for business users. Our company has a couple of sites we need to log into for service calls and it takes forever on 3G (or less). On a 4G connection, I can pull up the site, check the service call tag and do what needs to be done before the 3G phone finishes pulling up the main page.

Old 02/13/2013, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, somewhat, that 3G is not the mobile panacea. The biggest benefit for a data connection like that is for streaming and most people are going to avoid that on a cell connection since it's a great way to chew up your monthly data allowance.

You notice that when you try to connect over 3g the waiting is always done at the beginning. Once you get going, everything is pretty smooth. The biggest thing LTE has going for it is that relatively few people actually use it, so it's easy to connect. When you try to get something over 3G your device has to wait in line to deal with the tower, because 3G is used by everyone around you too. That's why the phone companies try so hard to get everyone to use wifi - to help congestion.

Once LTE is used more widely, it will start to show the same problems.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2013, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tazmorator (Leader Emeritus)

I live in the boonies.
No hard line.
I need 4G.
I email big files in and out on my phone.
4G makes a huge difference on my cell phone.
I posted that pic above, because that was one of the fastest speeds I've gotten.

Yes, it was sarcasm.
Those speeds are impressive.
Old 02/13/2013, 03:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Helps quite a bit for business users. Our company has a couple of sites we need to log into for service calls and it takes forever on 3G (or less). On a 4G connection, I can pull up the site, check the service call tag and do what needs to be done before the 3G phone finishes pulling up the main page.
those must be quite some hefty webpages, ive always thought that even up to 8mb/s i get on hsdpa is more than enough for pretty much anything, even my laptop tethered to my phone and/or mifi (also hsdpa) was just as fast as using my home router for pretty much everything except bulk downloads.
Old 02/13/2013, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not sure how heavy the pages are (I'm pretty sure they are pretty loaded).... but when I put my Pre2 next to another work phone with 4G, the difference in speed is night and day. I struggle to get anything done on a 3G phone now a days. Even using a (mobile) banking site like BoA is so slooooooow on 3G.

Old 02/13/2013, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

When I broke my SGS3, went back to my Pre3 for 5 days.....um yes.....there is a difference....and it was more than a couple of ms, I can guarantee that. Once you get used to LTE, going backwards is like going to dial up. It might not seem like that big of a deal for you, but for me it was.....shrugs.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle and HelloNNNewman like this.
Old 02/14/2013, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

so no-one misses fixing a sandwich while waiting on there 14.4 dial up modem to load
Old 02/14/2013, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataran View Post
so no-one misses fixing a sandwich while waiting on there 14.4 dial up modem to load
i threw an old one out last year i still had in storage, dont know why i horde stuff ill never use, esp tech stuff.
Old 02/14/2013, 12:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i threw an old one out last year i still had in storage, dont know why i horde stuff ill never use, esp tech stuff.
Nostalgia. I still have my first Sprint brick phone and my ION ISH (Integrated Services Hub) - which will never be useful for anything again. Technically the phone could still be used, but I was told that will change when the network upgrades are complete. I believe I still have my first Palm Pilot (a III I believe).

Developer of: SMS Auto Forward/Reply, GPS Viewer,
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix
Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/15/2013, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

I still use dial-up and its relatively fast (as long as its not image heavy and I'm not doing other web stuff).
HTC One (T-Mobile)
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7" 2012
Apple iPhone 4 (Verizon)
gamer765 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0