1.    #1  
    ...but will continue destroying my Treos in an effort to make them better (eh?)

The 180 'modula backlight' is coming along ok but my enthusiasm has waned slightly after HS discontinued the 180. Will post some pics as soon as I figure out how to piece back together my digital camera which became the latest gadget in a long line to succumb to one of my 'experiments' (the wife still doesn't know the camera is dead!).

Looking at a LINUX OS machine which I've been watching the development of for a while.
    Specs:

150Mhz Texas Instruments OMAP processor (similar to ARM)
    64mb RAM / 32mb Flash ROM
    TriBand GSM (900/1800/1900Mhz) phone with vibration alert.
    GPRS
    GPS (built in)
    SMS
    Ir port
    MMC/SD slot
    Handsfree and Speaker
    Bluetooth (built in)
    Screen is HiRes greyscale (? dropped the ball there)
    Calendar, ToDo, Memo, Contacts, Email, Internet browser

Smaller form than Treo.

No keyboard and no stylus (eh?) - it's all done via jogdial and is very fast and intuitive.

No PalmOS but I'll live (shame this spec, minus the screen, is not in the Treo!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nzmoko; 02/12/2003 at 09:03 AM.
    Who is making this? Any links?

And with no stylus(I assume then that the screen is not touch-sensitive) how does one input data?
    Thanks for the link. I did look at the input method on that device. First spin the wheel to scroll through a series of three letters, and then press a button to choose one of those three letters.

Not only would input be laboriously slow, but I would think my hand would cramp up when typing anything longer than a one sentence memo!

Cluemeister
  4.    #5  
    Originally posted by Cluemeister

Not only would input be laboriously slow, but I would think my hand would cramp up when typing anything longer than a one sentence memo!

Cluemeister
    Hey Cluemeister

I don't normally input vast amounts of text into my Treo, so it's perfect for me. If I have to, I use a wireless CyKey keyboard (Ir).

I mostly use the phone and SMS therefore I want a phone with PDA capabilities - not the other way around and let's face it, HS haven't got it totally right...... yet, but who has?
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    HS haven't got it totally right...... yet, but who has?
    Not for me this Invair Handheld!
    Gives me the feeling to go back in time, at least as far as the display and the imput method are concerned!

Agree with you, Handspring haven't got it totally right (and God knows that I criticised Treo and Handspring in this forum!), but I would never exchange my Treo 270 for two Invair handhelds, even if it comes with Bluetooth, MMC/SD slots and other features that I still can't believe Handspring didn't implement in the Treo!
    Looks an interesting device. Though the lack of a thumbboard is probably going to be a showstopper for me as well. However, the tiny size and light weight are nice, plus all the features (triband, SD, GPS!, BlueTooth) that you would expect from a device this expensive.

Actually, I should say devices. Look at

http://www.invair.de/html/technische_daten.html.

The Filewalker Business is a PDA only and is already available, the Filewalker Messenger is the PDA Phone with the specs below.

The Business PDA is 650 euros, so the Messenger is probably going to be at least 800 to 900 euros.

So, all HS need to do is copy the specs, use the Palm OS instead, add color, and the thumbboard. For less than 700 USD of course :-)

150 grams (5.3 ounces)
    TI Omap 5910 Dual Core CPU; 150 MHz
    64 MB Main Memory
    32 MB Flash ROM
    High Resolution Grayscale Display with EL Backlight; (160*240 Pixel, 16 grey scales, 42x63 mm = 1.7 x 2.5 inches )
    Data-Entry-Mode and menu structure in 5 languages (german, english, italian, spanish, french)
    Li-Polymer-Battery
    TriBand GSM (900/1800/1900 MHz);
    Hands-free and vibrating function
    GPS
    GPRS
    Bluetooth
    IrDA Port
    USB/RS-232
    MMC and SD–Card-Slot
    LINUX (Kernel-Version 2.4.18)
    MS Outlook Synchronisation (2000/XP);
    MS-Exchange-Server-Support
    PC-Client for Win98/ME/2000/NT/XP
    KDE-PIM-Synchronisation; Linux-Client
    Applications: Worldtime, Date, Alarm, Linux Calculater, Games PIM: Notes, Contacts, Calendar and To-Do List
    PC-Synchronisation: Backup, Update, PC-Client
    Optional Password security
    Email-Support:
    SMTP and POP3
    100 mm x 55 mm x 21mm = 3.9 x 2.2 x 0.8 inches
    2 year warranty

Availibility: September 2003