Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Uner the "Cingular GPRS Imminent" rumor:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/206-1.htm

it is stated that, for Cingular at least, "You can even be notified of
    incoming calls while you're checking email or surfing the web."

I certainly don't have that capability with my T-Mobile GPRS service. If I'm using the phone, I can't check email. If I'm checking email, calls to my phone go directly to my VoiceMail, with NO notification of incoming calls to the Treo.

Comments and observations? Thanks
    This is a limitation of the GPRS configuration on the Treo. Handspring designed it this way. It is not necessarily Carrier dependant.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Appleman
    This is a limitation of the GPRS configuration on the Treo
    That was my understanding. But what in the world is the claim about being notified about incoming calls while checking email ? See initial post.
    Hmmm, I dunno. Maybe they just meant that you can be reading e-mail and have the web browser open. It's sort of matter of perspective and describing in layman's terms what you can do, when technically this isn't possible if there is an active data transfer.

Also, none of that info is official. When does become, maybe they will fix that, who knows.
    Originally posted by Michael_L

That was my understanding. But what in the world is the claim about being notified about incoming calls while checking email ? See initial post.
    The Treo GPRS is class-b

This is taken from the official GSM website:
    Class B
    "Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended".

I haven't tried email but my surfing is interrupted if I receive a call and resumes when I hangup.
    This is a limitation of the GPRS configuration on the Treo. Handspring designed it this way. It is not necessarily Carrier dependant.
    I would desagree with you.
    From my own experience:
    I can download Emails (using 2bAnywhere) and receive calls at the same time (GPRS enabled). And vice-versa, of course.
    Not mentioning SMS.
    Therefore, it must be carrier dependant.
    Maybe you are misunderstanding what is actually happening, Handspring says this:

Can I browse the web and talk on the phone?
    Not simultaneously. Treo communicators are Class B GPRS devices, which means they can be attached for both voice and data, but can't use both services at the same time. U.S. GPRS phones currently on the market are class B devices.

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8796
    U.S. GPRS phones currently on the market are class B devices.[/I]
    I don't live in the US, and my device wasn't bought in the US.
    If Handspring bothers to precise "US GPRS phones (...)", it might mean that there is a restriction for the US territories that might not exist in the rest of the world.

It is a well know fact that, because of a different choice originally, the USA are not yet up to the level of Europe and the Middle East (and what to say about Japan?) as far as mobile telecommunication is concerned.
    This must be another example...
    Ahh, I see now. Lucky you!! Thanks for informing me on this matter.
    But theoretically could they not include a small app that would receive *packet data* notification of incoming calls from Cingular, and then allow you to stop your data transfer to switch to the voice call?

IOW, I know my CDMA Treo can't do both at the same time, but it has always seemed to me that it wouldn't be hard for Sprint to allow me to switch back and forth when I got calls if they were on the ball.
    --invention is the mother of necessity
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by nzmoko
    I haven't tried email but my surfing is interrupted if I receive a call and resumes when I hangup.
    Now we're getting somewhere. When _I_ am checking email and an incoming call is placed to the Treo, it goes straight to VM. No call waiting indicator or the like. AND, just for good measure, it also interrupts my data connection as well. So, I seem to have the worst of BOTH.

Please, which carrier do you use? I'm with T-Mobile, but the problem also happens roaming on the Cingular network.

FWIW, a call to T-Mobile said I should be notified of an incoming call during a data transfer, and be able to answer the call (and interrupt data transfer) or ignore the call (and let data transfer continue). Sounds like that's what you have. No?

As others have noted, that is opposite of what is posted on the HandSpring site. Others here have contended this is a limitation of the Treo implementation of GPRS, not a carrier or GPRS issue per se.
    My 270 w/Cingular and gprs works just as advertised! If I'm transfering data from the net or checking my email and a voice call comes in, I will get a pop up window and the option to answer the call or ignore it. If I tap ignore, the call goes off to voicemail and what ever data transfer that was in progress will continue. If I choose to answer the call it will temporarily suspend any data transfer and the call can be answered at which point when I end the call the treo returns to handling the data transfer that was in progress.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    My 270 w/Cingular and gprs works just as advertised!
    I'm determined that MINE will too. But, take at look at these two documents from HandSpring. They seem to be contradictory to one another:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=8796

The official answers from HandSpring as to whether Call Waiting works during a data transfer are YES and NO. This seems to mirror users's experience rather nicely<g>. YES for you NO for me. I just can't figure out how to change categories.

I called, pointed this out, and was given a Case# and told to DISABLE Call Waiting and see if that helped. It did NOT. I think they actually thought the interface was "reversed." It was not.

So, I'm still pestering HandSpring on this one.
  14.    #14  
    My 270 w/Cingular and gprs works just as advertised!
    Well, after jumping through the usual hoops with HS Tech Support, I was put on hold for an extended period. When the tech returned, he advised me that they had just tested two Treo 180 models. One worked w the Call Waiting during Data Transfer, and one did not. So, they advised me it appears to be a FIRMWARE problem. A call-back from TS is pending. Don't know how they'll resolve this. Probably yet another new Treo.

FWIW, from my Phone Info screen:

Firmware Revision is 534b09gg.3
    Software Revision is v.3.5.2H5.7
    Product Revision is GPRS 1.1.1

I'd be curious to know how this compares to your WORKING Treo.

Michael
    I have the same firmware as you but the software is:
    v.3.5.2H5.6 and the rev is:
    GPRS 1.1
    This is an interesting thread now. I have never really tested this before, but have now discovered that I am experiencing the same behavior as Michael_L. If I am in an active data transfer the call goes straight to voicemail.

I confirmed with my provider here in Canada, Fido, that the call should come through and not be transferred to voicemail.

My Phone Info:

Firmware: 534a09gg.3
    Software: v.3.5.2H5.6
    Product Rev: GPRS 1.1

I really hope this is something that can be fixed by myself, maybe a reinstall of the GPRS upgrade. I do not need to go through replacement hell, especially being in Canada. Handpsring really likes to send out locked phones to customers in Canada.
    I just noticed this thread, so let me add my .02 cents here. This issue of simutaneous data/voice on the Treo 270 is not possible AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $First$ $of$ $all$, $I$ $doubt$ $the$ $Treo$'$s$ $dragonball$ $processor$ $could$ $handle$ $the$ $multiprocessing$ $power$ $needed$, $and$ $OS$ $3$.$5$ $probably$ $cannot$ $handle$ $this$ $kind$ $of$ $multitasking$ $either$. $Of$ $course$ $I$ $might$ $be$ $wrong$ $regarding$ $this$ $part$. $Anyway$, $from$ $what$ $I$ $understand$, $this$ $arguement$ $is$ $mute$ $b$/$c$ $gprs$ $cannot$ $handle$ $simutaneous$ $data$ $and$ $voice$ $transefers$. $This$ $is$ $not$ $a$ $feature$ $of$ $gsm$/$gprs$. $However$, $such$ $functionality$ $is$ $found$ $in$ $UMTS$/$WCDMA$ $technology$ $which$ $will$ $replace$ $gprs$ ($primarily$ $in$ $europe$ $1st$). $UMTS$ $will$ $offer$ $transfer$ $rates$ $up$ $to$ $2Mbps$ $initially$ $an$ $up$ $to$ $10Mbps$ $by$ $2005$, $according$ $to$ $designers$. $It$ $is$ $likely$ $to$ $be$ $dominant$ $outside$ $the$ $United$ $States$, $and$ $therefore$ $good$ $for$ $roaming$ $globally$. $Commitments$ $from$ $U$.$S$. $operators$ $are$ $currently$ $lacking$, $though$ $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $Wireless$ $performed$ $UMTS$ $tests$ $in$ $2002$. $This$ $is$ $distinct$ $from$ $1xEvDV$ $which$ $will$ $be$ $the$ $3rd$ $phase$ $of$ $cdma2000$. $1xEV$-$DV$ ($data$ + $voice$) $will$ $support$ $circuit$ $and$ $packet$ $data$ $rates$ $up$ $to$ $3$-$5$ $Mbps$, $but$ $will$ $not$ $allow$ $for$ $simutaneous$ $data$ $and$ $voice$ $functionality$ $from$ $what$ $I$ $understand$. $However$, $this$ $does$ $not$ $mean$ $there$ $will$ $not$ $be$ $any$ $work$-$arounds$ $available$. $Both$ $these$ $technologies$ $will$ $allow$ $wireless$ $providers$ $to$ $shift$ $to$ $VoIP$ $telephony$. $I$ $would$ $greatly$ $appreciate$ $if$ $someone$ $here$ $would$ $correct$ $me$ $if$ $this$ $analysis$ $is$ $incorrect$. $Thanks$....
    Your analysis is correct and accurate relating to how the thread originally started. But we have moved on to how the device should work. And that is: A data transfer should be "put on hold" to allow a voice call to come through, then should continue once the voice call has been dealt with, either by answering or sending to voicemail. We are not looking for simultaneous data/voice, we know that the Treo cannot do this.
  19.    #19  
    I have the same firmware as you but the software is:
    v.3.5.2H5.6 and the rev is:
    GPRS 1.1
    WELL, HandSpring called me today, and advised me that there is definitely a BUG in the GPRS 1.1.1, and that a new version, 1.2, should be out and posted on their website "in a week or two," depending on how the rest of the beta testing goes. I was told that the phone they tested which WORKED had the beta installed, and that it was the older (presumably 1.1.1) which was defective.

We'll soon see.
    Hmmm, interesting info. Thanks for looking into this Michael_L. I guess we just have to wait.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast