webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > HP still has no idea what to do with itself...
HP still has no idea what to do with itself...

Old 02/05/2013, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

http://gigaom.com/2013/02/05/report-...o-with-itself/

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

And more...

http://mobile.theverge.com/2013/2/5/...ing-up-company

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/05/2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02/05/2013, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Even more

http://m.cnet.com/news/hp-considerin...eport/57567814

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/05/2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 02/06/2013, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

And less: http://allthingsd.com/20130205/no-breakup-plan-being-considered-at-hp-at-least-not-right-now/

It's worth noting that GigaOm, The Verge, and CNET were all citing the same report by Quartz.
Old 02/06/2013, 07:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ah, news reporting at its finest.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dell's recent news of going private may cause enough jitters to improve HP's PC market share (and Lenovo and other pc makers) slightly and improve profit a bit. Granted the PC market is a shrinking pie but Dell's woes are a slight positive for HP. And HPs stock prices have gone up in last week. (although still wayyyy behind >1 year ago's prices)
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 02:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

So Dell's instability and "new found freedom" (there's spin doctoring at its best) is going to allow them to attack the infrastructure market (where incidentally HP dominates)? How will this be any different from where they were before? I don't quite get the logic, but am happy to be enlightened.
Old 02/07/2013, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

HP and Dell are both in bad shape and dedicated to a market in decline. There is no logic (only Zuul).
Old 02/07/2013, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just don't see any compelling products from HP. I have a 4-year-old HP laptop and am going to get a new Windows 8 Pro x64 ultrabook. HP's offerings are bland and uninspiring. Lenovo is getting my business.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
Old 02/07/2013, 01:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rnp

Lenovo & Pos sales are not my friend...

Best Regards...
Old 02/07/2013, 11:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

I realize the pc market is in decline, but I still think it is an important part of my tech life. Sure I get most of my data and info via my smartphone (so much so that the tablet is just a luxury, not a must have for me but I understand it's usefulness, particularly the ipad). However if I want to get any real work done, not just consume info, such as make a PowerPoint presentation, word processing, photo editing, video editing, databases, making music play lists, etc I still turn to the pc.

The notion that we are in a post pc world is a little misrepresented. I think people need the pc less than before because of mobile devices, But still need a pc for real work.

I think manufacturers are making mistakes in making budget pcs and mass marketing them expecting to make a profit. If I am reserving my pc for some of the things I mentioned above you don't want a budget laptop that can't handle photo or video editing, for example. This is where hp and dell are having some of their problems. Apple still makes overpriced computers but they don't flood the pc market with cheap crap that can't handle basic pc tasks (disclaimer: I have never owned a Mac and don't ever plan too, I am satisfied with the windows envt and dell is my preferred pc company, i just have always paid for their premium devices). The net book era introduced the notion of purchasing computers on the cheap, and these big pc companies fell into that hole, focusing too much time on cheap components and crap hardware and very little innovation just to make computers affordable.

Dell, HP and any other company that wants to maintain a presence in the pc market needs to realize that people don't need pcs as much, won't be buying them as frequently, so they might as well put on premium products and charge accordingly.

My two cents.

Old 02/08/2013, 01:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

I agree, post PC era is not world in which we are living. This is post expensive PC era which companies with 300k employees can't survive. But PC is still important part of any business and it will be for some time.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0