webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > HP to produce chrome os based notebooks
HP to produce chrome os based notebooks
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Preemptive
  • 1 Post By tholap

Old 02/02/2013, 02:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

So rumor is HP will produce a chrome os based notebook. If it does any claims of how great open Webos is will sound quite exaggerated to say the least.

HP Pavillion Chromebook: Alleged New Chrome OS Based Laptop Spotted in the Wild | Hp - Gizbot

Doesn't sound like they have much faith in their own os. Still i wonder what the implications for open Webos, if any, would be if such a move was to go forward.
kkalogia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, for one thing: webOS has the power but OpenWebOS is too limited to be a full OS at the moment.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 07:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Er, have I missed something?

webOS is designed for touch screen interface devices like phones and tablets.

The article is about a laptop - for which webOS would not be suitable. There is no mention of this device having a touch screen.

If anything, this could be seen as good news - that HP is not only producing windows OS products but is willing to try different OSes... but actually I don't see much relevance to the webOS situation other than that.
Preemptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by steven_farkas likes this.
Old 02/02/2013, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
If anything, this could be seen as good news - that HP is not only producing windows OS products but is willing to try different OSes... but actually I don't see much relevance to the webOS situation other than that.
It could be seen as good news - but I see it as HP still stumbling headlessly around. Trying one half-baked, timid thing after another. Probably the result of internal turf wars.

They abandoned their independent webos strategy and went back to their old familiar "let's do MS Windows can't go wrong with that" just when MS is in trouble itself and W8 failing to take off.

So now they are trying the other big companies alternative OS - where Chrome OS is clearlyinferior to webos but has the support of Google behind it.
Old 02/04/2013, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Does anyone actually know anything about what HP is going to do or are we all just wildly speculating? Remember those touchpads "in the wild" that had android on them back in 2011? Were we also then speculating wildly about HP launching an android tablet? Not that I remember.

I know things can be slow around here, and its always fun to put the boot into HP, but come on - this smacks of adding 2 and 2 and getting 74
Old 02/04/2013, 04:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemptive View Post
Er, have I missed something?

webOS is designed for touch screen interface devices like phones and tablets.

The article is about a laptop - for which webOS would not be suitable. There is no mention of this device having a touch screen.

Ehm, OWO aside, webOS could work fine with multitouch trackpads. 3 finger swipe on the trackpad to close a card, 2 finger swipe to scroll from one card to another, etc.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just to add it is released

HP intros the Pavilion 14 Chromebook, its first Chrome OS device: available now for $330

They have had nearly 2 years to polish webOS for use on a laptop type device. They didn't need to use the open version did they?

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hmm, interesting..and I'm proved wrong again! Fail!
Old 02/05/2013, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholap View Post
So now they are trying the other big companies alternative OS - where Chrome OS is clearlyinferior to webos but has the support of Google behind it.
I don't think Chrome OS is inferior to webOS; it's just a lot different than webOS (and mobile operating systems). Chrome OS is essentially a desktop browser with web apps.

Other notable devices:
Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Rnp, Vistaus
Old 02/11/2013, 02:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I don't think Chrome OS is inferior to webOS; it's just a lot different than webOS (and mobile operating systems). Chrome OS is essentially a desktop browser with web apps.
Exactly my point. :-)
And webos is more than just a browser with webapps.
Old 02/11/2013, 07:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

For some reason I like local apps better than web apps. I don't think of websites as apps. (I define an app as something that you can download as a package. SaaS doesn't cut it.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0