webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > How much webOS is still in your daily life?
How much webOS is still in your daily life?
Like Tree23Likes

Old 01/29/2013, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just curious:
By now if feels like we are manning the guns at the Alamo, but I'm curious to know to what extent are you LIVING with webOS. So if it just a hobbyist thing for you, let me know when it became that for you. Also, are you developing for what will be the new webOS (Gram, openOS or whatever it will evolve to become)?
  • Is it your daily driver?
  • If so, is it your only phone?
  • If not, is it your work or personal phone?
  • How long do you think you can hang on?

For me, it is one of four phones, but I've just cut back to three (others are a Blackberry and Droid which was just upgraded to a Galaxy S3).

The Pre2 is my personal phone. I use it especially for e-mail and as a gamer for crossword puzzles. It still multi-tasks better (by a mile) than any of my other phones.

I'm holding tough, but for some work functions it is becoming increasing less useful as internet based services drop webOS support and the browser becomes increasingly creaky with age as the net moves on and it does not.

If I was forced to dump all of my phones but one, and had to ride that phone for the next two years, don't know what I would do... I hope it doesn't happen before we see some open OS love.

C
Old 01/29/2013, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm still holding on and using my FrankenPre2 as my daily driver, only cell, and for heavy business and personal use. The synergy of accounts (email and contacts) simply cannot be beat.

I know this won't last me through the summer, so I'll be jumping off of Sprint over to T-Mobile and grabbing something new (possibly the Samsung S4 when released) and also a Pre3 as my second phone. It will be nice getting back to a GSM service, but I'm going to be jumping on Open webOS as soon as a device is ready.

Oh yeah... and I use my 32GB TouchPad daily too.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/29/2013 at 09:38 PM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cbosdell likes this.
Old 01/29/2013, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
Just curious:
By now if feels like we are manning the guns at the Alamo, but I'm curious to know to what extent are you LIVING with webOS. So if it just a hobbyist thing for you, let me know when it became that for you. Also, are you developing for what will be the new webOS (Gram, openOS or whatever it will evolve to become)?
  • Is it your daily driver?
  • If so, is it your only phone?
  • If not, is it your work or personal phone?
  • How long do you think you can hang on?

For me, it is one of four phones, but I've just cut back to three (others are a Blackberry and Droid which was just upgraded to a Galaxy S3).

The Pre2 is my personal phone. I use it especially for e-mail and as a gamer for crossword puzzles. It still multi-tasks better (by a mile) than any of my other phones.

I'm holding tough, but for some work functions it is becoming increasing less useful as internet based services drop webOS support and the browser becomes increasingly creaky with age as the net moves on and it does not.

If I was forced to dump all of my phones but one, and had to ride that phone for the next two years, don't know what I would do... I hope it doesn't happen before we see some open OS love.

C
C,

You know me and know that I am a major cheerleader for webOS. However, I haven't used it at all in the last 3 weeks. My Pre was replaced by a Motorola Photon after I broke the power button a few months back. I installed CM10 on my TouchPad before Christmas. I liked it, though not as much as webOS, and it was unstable as heck (like CM9). However, after complaining about it in the right forum (on XDA−Developers, not webOS Nation) I found out that all I had to do was update the bootloader and flash utility and now it is stable enough for everyday use. Some useful Android apps received tablet versions (Flipboard, Spotify, and Tapatalk) making the experience using them a lot better and I finally found a decent Android keyboard with a numbers row (A.I. Type).

I still prefer webOS to Android for ease of use and if all was equal, I would still use webOS. However all is not equal. We seemed to have been all but abandoned by major app developers and HP. The company that was supposed to bring us Android apps on webOS turned out to be purveyors of vaporware. Open webOS is in its infancy but, since it does not support CDMA devices, it is rather useless on Sprint and Verizon phones. There have been no updates to the web browser to support HTLM5 standards even though it is prevalent today.

Android is not perfect by a long shot. I understand why some people prefer iOS or Windows 8 over it. However, at least it is supported by companies that actually give a damn.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a frankenpre as my only phone and a laptop. Between the two I'm just fine. In between there is a 16 Gig touchpad with lunaCE, which I barely use because I don't have time for so many devices.

I feel no pressure to switch unless HP turn off the servers.
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and kataran like this.
Old 01/29/2013, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a Veer and a Touchpad. They cover my personal and office use. I even go overseas with only them, without a laptop. Oh, yes, sometimes I have to connect to my desktop by Splashtop or VNC, but no phone/tablet in the market right now can fully replace a desktop PC.

In fact, in some cases Webos is the only OS that can finish my job besides besides of PCs. It's the only mobile OS that I can have quick reference between few different apps and do copy/paste between them.
chenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 01/29/2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use my Pre 3 everyday, but after a pretty bad fall, I had to stop using it for phone calls because it started dropping every call I would make. So now I use it for everything BUT phone calls. It's my task manager with Toodledo, it's my Web browser on the go, and thanks to Dr. Podder, it's the best podcast device ever invented. I love the fact that I can set it to auto download all my podcasts at a set hour, every day.

If I could still use it as a phone, I would. But what I really want is a WebOS phone with the latest quad core Qualcomm processor, and 2 gigs of ram, and an sd card slot. But that, alas, is not to be. (Tear rolls down cheek.)
Vociferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by galoot and jkromero like this.
Old 01/29/2013, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am running on a FrankenPre 2 as my only phone and it gives me all I need for work and personal. Its definitely showing its age but even when I go look at new phones I can't pull myself away from webOS. I also have a TouchPad dual booting webOS and CM9 but it stays in webOS mode probably 80% of the time.

I am eyeing and waiting for Nokia's MWC announcement to see what they are delivering as I am getting more and more tempted by Windows Phone 8 however.

Once they get Open webOS or Gram or whatever running on phones and such I will more than likely be back though.
tmark86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

• Is it your daily driver? - I use my HP Touchpad regularly...
  • If so, is it your only phone? - No, I've got a iPhone 4S
  • If not, is it your work or personal phone? - Hm, I use if often to take PDF's to school or to play Asphalt; So I think it's a good mix of both
  • How long do you think you can hang on? - As my Touchpad is only ma second device and I use it only regularly I think I can hang on a long time... The browser and the Wifi works, and there the main features I use. And it is fun developing for it, as you can see I'm developing an alternative Pivot for the Touchpad. And if Spotify update their App for webOS I would be nearly satisfied
Old 01/30/2013, 02:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Is it your daily driver? My pre 3 is until my Iphone comes in.
If so, is it your only phone? No I own a Veer, a Pre 2 and a Gnex With Open WebOS
If not, is it your work or personal phone? My Pre 3 is until my Iphone takes it's place.
How long do you think you can hang on? Ive held on for two years and four months. I may move on to another Platform but I will move to a final GNEX port...thats why I own it.
Old 01/30/2013, 04:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've put my Pre 3 aside about 4 months ago because of f/w incompatibilty with T-Mobile Netherlands which made it unable to use for me. Too bad because I loved the Pre 3 (had been using it for a year by then). But luckily, my mum uses it now for at least a good while so it's at least in use

But my HP Touchpad I still use it everyday for both work stuff and casual stuff. No dual-boot, only webOS with LunaCE. I use it until it dies and then I'll buy a second-hand Touchpad unless OWO is useable with Preware and App Tuckerbox on some other tablet by then. I couldn't imagine having any other tablet OS. webOS just rocks, everyday again, on my Touchpad
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 07:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Is it your daily driver?
Yes
If so, is it your only phone?
Yes
How long do you think you can hang on?
Until my Pre 3 or TP fails to work, unless Open WebOS becomes available on other smartphones and tablet. Can't imagine the day when I can't use WebOS!

WebOS with it's Synergy and multi-tasking is much better than any other platform. Lack of Apps and hardware are the key disadvantages. If WebOS dwindles then I'll go for the platform that resembles WebOS the most. Keeping an eye on Firefox platform.
NK_Newbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

My iPhone 4 is my daily driver, but I still have a touchstone on my desk at work and on my nightstand.

These days my Pre 3 serves as my alarm clock mostly, but it's also my primary device for checking twitter and these forums.

I would love to go back to using the Pre 3 full time, and I can see that happening if we get a port of the Isis Browser and good CalDav/CardDav support. In the mean time, I'm committed to holding off on signing a new contract this year. I think my current iPhone can suit me for now, and we'll see what the smartphone landscape looks like next year.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 09:15 AM   #13 (permalink)

Is it your daily driver? Yes, both Pre 3 and Touchpad

If so, is it your only phone? No, I also have HTC 8X with Windows Phone 8. I still find webOS much more intuitive and fun to use.

If not, is it your work or personal phone? Both of my phones are for work and personal use (I have two SIM cards).

How long do you think you can hang on? As long as both of devices work correctly.

As I said using webOS is much more intuitive and fun than WP8. There is just too much animations, sliding and clicking to get things done on WP9. Multitasking implementation (cards) is still THE best on webOS than on any other mobile OS. WP8 has some great hardware and it works good with MS ecosystem but go out of it and yo are greeted with applications which are not really good (e.g Done! is much better than any other task manager on WP8 I tried). I miss Just Type since there is no Universal search in any form on WP8.

I had 2 different Android phones also but I didn't like them. To me Android looks (and behaves) like a bunch of hacks put together to have Google another platform to deliver ads. And quality of most of applications I needed was inconsistent and not very good. Not to mention I ended up recreating my Exchange contacts database because it started to generate duplicates out of duplicates out of duplicates. Once that happened, I sold both phones with Android.

On Touchpad I have CM9 installed because my kids want to play games which aren't available for webOS. Other than that I use webOS almost exclusively on it.

Regards,
Marijan
mfranov1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

I use my Touchpad daily, weekly, and heavily. (Both webOS and CM9; CM9 mainly for games.)

I am now on a Galaxy S3 for my daily driver, and it works pretty well overall. I still miss the intuitiveness of webOS, though, and if a webOS phone came out with a larger screen and more apps, I would seriously consider it.

Still have two Pre2's and 4 Pre's (Sprint) if somebody is looking to purchase!
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Me and the wife each have Pre 2's and Touchpads. Both of us use our phones personally and for work. At home we switch to our Touchpads.

We cut out Sirius radios for both cars a year ago. I've been using the Spotify app and Tune In to stream in my car. I'm considering putting Android on the Touchpad so my kids can play Minecraft.

My Pre 2 usage:
Phone and email
Twitter through Spaz
Facebook
Weather Channel App
Untappd

Touchpad usage:
Tune In
Facebook
Spaz
Youtube
Documents and spreadsheets used frequently for work, board of directors service and Cub Scouts.
Daily Comics
Zite
galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/30/2013, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rnp

If there was Netflix support, would be 115% of my time.

Best Regards...
Liked by galoot likes this.
Old 01/30/2013, 10:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galoot View Post
Me and the wife each have Pre 2's and Touchpads. Both of us use our phones personally and for work. At home we switch to our Touchpads.

We cut out Sirius radios for both cars a year ago. I've been using the Spotify app and Tune In to stream in my car. I'm considering putting Android on the Touchpad so my kids can play Minecraft.

My Pre 2 usage:
Phone and email
Twitter through Spaz
Facebook
Weather Channel App
Untappd

Touchpad usage:
Tune In
Facebook
Spaz
Youtube
Documents and spreadsheets used frequently for work, board of directors service and Cub Scouts.
Daily Comics
Zite
Also, we'll review options through Verizon (or without contract) this fall when our contracts are up. We purchased both phones for less than $30 each over a year ago and both of the Touchpads at reduced prices, so I feel we've gotten our money's worth.
galoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 10:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

I'm using my 14-month old FrankenPre on Sprint as my daily driver for both work and personal use. I always feel smug when seeing my fellow workers having to carry 2 phones. Thank you, synergy! My phone's going strong, though I've wondered what to do if it crumps. I could buy another Pre2, I guess, but then I may have to learn the FrankenPre process firsthand to make another. The hassle of that, the lack of any future open webOS phone on CDMA, and the ongoing lack of support/development (that's directly available to us users, that is) could make me switch to android. I'm just enjoying my denial in the meantime.

I use my TP daily to surf in the evening, running LunaCE.
Old 01/30/2013, 10:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

Recently had to move from Pre to FrankenPre 2 as my only phone. Also use Touchpad everyday. Holding out for possibility of Open webos running on new hardware someday.
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

My pre3 is my only phone, and I have my touchpad too which I use almost daily for things like iplayer and watching videos with KalemSoft media player - what an awesome app!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0