webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Whitman criticizes HP for dumping Palm
Whitman criticizes HP for dumping Palm
Like Tree18Likes

Old 01/15/2013, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

She said in an interview that acquisitions were a long bet and companies need to stick by them.
She singled out webOS for an example of a mistake in not sticking by it.

The quote was in the latest round of interviews she did where she also talked about knowing HP needs to make a phone as soon as they figure out the best strategy (there are no current plans apparently). I can't remember where I read the quote, sorry, maybe someone else will find it.

In looking for the quote again, I read a whole bunch of articles on HP. Apparently their Tech innovation head is also doing interviews--talking about their new cloud and software strategy.

Also found a recent article on Forbes that summed up nicely the work of webOS ports, glad someone is still hoping for webOS to come back.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, treodoc755, NuttyBunny and 9 others like this.
Thanked By: dkirker
Old 01/16/2013, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

was this recent?
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Would be more interesting if you post a link to the article you are quoting.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Good OL MC likes this.
Old 01/16/2013, 02:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

In the end, what is such a statement worth nowerdays for webOS? Even if they really will make hardware again the OS will be windows and/or android.
Btw. she could have stuck with it, after overtaking the lead - one year additional heavy development (which would be until today) including desktop-integration and printer-integration and perhaps the world of webOS would be living outside this community.

Here is a recent article stating that HP wants to concentrate on connecting Autonomys augmented apps with printing on tablets and smartphones. Well you all had it lying in front of you guys, but screwed it:
Bericht: Umbau und Entlassungen in HPs Autonomy-Sparte | heise resale
Old 01/16/2013, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

I can't find the quote but I'm guessing it is something she said at this event.

Really what does it matter? There is zero signs that they plan to do anything with WebOS (outside of Gram) - so that ship has sailed.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 03:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
I can't find the quote but I'm guessing it is something she said at this event.

Really what does it matter? There is zero signs that they plan to do anything with WebOS (outside of Gram) - so that ship has sailed.
Yeah ok... well, maybe some of us are just interested in reading the article.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Remy X like this.
Old 01/16/2013, 04:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Coulda, woulda, shoulda ... Nice to see, that they realize, that they were silly.
Would be nicer to see, that they learnt something from it.
Old 01/16/2013, 05:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

here is the article
HP CEO Whitman Dubs Windows 8 a Work in Progress - Businessweek
bigcatny is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked by bluenote, HelloNNNewman, Rnp
Old 01/16/2013, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
YES< THANK YOU!! I thought it was BusinessWeek but then I could only find the mammoth cover story and it did not have this quote, I thought maybe it got edited out or I read it somewhere else.

Here is the exact quote:

“Todd took the PC business from $20 billion to $40 billion and from a money-loser to the most profitable PC business in the world,” Whitman says. “I wasn’t here, but yeah, they missed on mobile. Then they bought Palm to actually figure that out. By the time I got here, they had already shut it down. My view is that when you make an acquisition like that, you have to stick with it. You can’t just sort of lose heart. Whose fault is that? I don’t know. My view is: It is what it is. You can’t change the past.”

I think it does mean something. It means she respects Palm and its innovation. And you can't change the past but they still own webOS and Andreesen who is on their board said web technologies would take 3-5 years and Palm was ahead of its time.

I'm just sayin'. thats all. Just got an iPhone and it can't do certain things I like out of the box, like I can't open up multiple windows at once in the browser and go back and read them at my leisure; it hasn't yet shown me a notification on the lock screen even though I've enabled that feature; and getting any files on it other than using some 3rd party server in the sky as a go-between is a pain in the ***
Old 01/16/2013, 09:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Going two for two: Here's the nice Forbes story on webOS

Mobile Sesame - Open webOS Escapes Onto Google Hardware - Forbes

webOS--the OS that won't die. If you want immortality, stick with us.
Liked by polaris_silvertree likes this.
Old 01/16/2013, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
YES< THANK YOU!! I thought it was BusinessWeek but then I could only find the mammoth cover story and it did not have this quote, I thought maybe it got edited out or I read it somewhere else.

Here is the exact quote:

“Todd took the PC business from $20 billion to $40 billion and from a money-loser to the most profitable PC business in the world,” Whitman says. “I wasn’t here, but yeah, they missed on mobile. Then they bought Palm to actually figure that out. By the time I got here, they had already shut it down. My view is that when you make an acquisition like that, you have to stick with it. You can’t just sort of lose heart. Whose fault is that? I don’t know. My view is: It is what it is. You can’t change the past.”

I think it does mean something. It means she respects Palm and its innovation. And you can't change the past but they still own webOS and Andreesen who is on their board said web technologies would take 3-5 years and Palm was ahead of its time.

I'm just sayin'. thats all. Just got an iPhone and it can't do certain things I like out of the box, like I can't open up multiple windows at once in the browser and go back and read them at my leisure; it hasn't yet shown me a notification on the lock screen even though I've enabled that feature; and getting any files on it other than using some 3rd party server in the sky as a go-between is a pain in the ***
I think your thoughts here are insightful when you piece together some of the collective thoughts still out there about HP. As you can tell from some of the responses, the mobile space is very volatile and much of our perceptions are geared towards the hear and now (because that is the context of how mobile devices serve us today). I have high hopes for open source webOS and Enyo... And I definitely think HP is up to something, but are too frayed from the catastrophic destruction of a billion dollar investment to disclose what that might be and when.
polaris_silvertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 10:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
cgk

I cannot see how anyone could take anything from that quote except we messed up and we are moving on - when HP gets back into mobile it will be with an established OS - otherwise where are the many billions needed to compete from scratch (webos has zero market share so you'd be starting from nothing) in the sector going to come from? HPs finances are a mess.
Old 01/16/2013, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yes, they hope for Windows but still even so, there would be room for them to offer another OS for certain features which is cheaper.
Also Windows is still slow going, I would not be surprised if Blackberry leaps over its market share in the phone world and didn't someone (Samsung?), say they were pulling out of the win8 tablet business for now? And would a windows (anything) be cheap for third world countries given licensing fees?

Android a security mess, IOS and Blackberry off limits, webOS is still HP's own and HP wants to make its name in software and cloud services.

As for HP's finances being a mess, I haven't kept track yet to see where they are on the road to recovery. But I did notice their pc sales were up 4 Q over last year and Dell's were down; thats pretty good to gain market share when the industry is shrinking. Also there seems to be some innovation in the software and services space, I would wait about 6-9 months and take another look at how software and services and also the rebranded Autonomy (I forget the new name).

Last edited by bluenote; 01/16/2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01/16/2013, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)

This gets back into the argument over if there's enough room for all these OS's out there... the Ubuntu phones and the Firefox OS's of the world. If there is -any- interest in developing these platforms, then webOS has a giant head start on each of those. I think there enough jaded iOS and Android users out there that would want to try something different to switch. It would definitely generate some buzz. Heck... people are still talking about Blackberry even, so anything's possible

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

HP needs to be proprietary, they cannot compete on cheapness with China and the Far East, they must be software value add, hardware design quality add, cloud services value add.

Here's that cool Africa article again which says HP is shipping Palm Pre 2s to South Africa. I love the fact that they are Palm Pre 2s and not Pre 3s. Article is dated Jan 14 , 2013 so is this still going on?

HP Social Innovation

Here is a quote from the new strategy officer that I found while trying to refind that whitman webOS quote:

"I would say our software-defined networking, our ElitePad and notebooks and our OfficeJet Pro X. That is a fundamentally revolutionary product. What we have done is taken the ink technology that is super high-end and moved it down. That OfficeJet Pro X is very different. That is true innovation. To be able to run ink at 65 pages per minute and have it come out bright and at 50 percent reduction in cost -- that is huge innovation."

Q&A: HP's Top Strategist Says HP Is Mounting An Innovation Offensive

The ElitePad is their commercial tablet so I guess it is running Windows as is their notebooks. The software-defined networking, I think that means how the servers or pcs get configured to the networks, this may be tied to their play to be an "amazon" cloud service to enterprises with better security than amazon can provide (according to the article below)
Old 01/16/2013, 11:16 AM   #16 (permalink)
cgk

It's a windows 8 tablet
Old 01/16/2013, 11:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
This gets back into the argument over if there's enough room for all these OS's out there...

That's actually a red herring - the critical question is - has anything significant changed about HP that suggests that they could do *any* OS into a player?

The answer from the last six months of HP news is surely *no*.
Old 01/16/2013, 11:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

Reading things like, "It is what is is" never really fill me with hope. As a matter of fact I might be sadder for webOS now than I was before.
Good OL MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
That's actually a red herring - the critical question is - has anything significant changed about HP that suggests that they could do *any* OS into a player?

The answer from the last six months of HP news is surely *no*.
Yet, you are still here. Future unknown, perhaps?

Ps Clinton initiative is involved in that Palm Pre 2 distribution to South Africa. So far now webOS is their third world phone.
Old 01/16/2013, 11:30 AM   #20 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
Yet, you are still here. Future unknown, perhaps?
It's all one log-in one and when you log into mobile nations you see what people are talking about - I pop in if something catches my eye but generally there isn't much to discuss here - which is why the place is a ghost town.

Quote:
Ps Clinton initiative is involved in that Palm Pre 2 distribution to South Africa. So far now webOS is their third world phone.
No idea what that is in reference to? Link?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0