webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Businessweek: Can Meg Whitman Reverse Hewlett-Packard's Free Fall?
Businessweek: Can Meg Whitman Reverse Hewlett-Packard's Free Fall?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By geekpeter

Old 01/14/2013, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Can Meg Whitman Reverse Hewlett-Packard's Free Fall? - Businessweek
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ugh, what a painful read for a WebOS fan. The whole WebOS debacle now merits a sentence or two in this article, but it felt like it should have been a book's worth!
petbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/14/2013, 01:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

after reading that article it still sounds like Ray Lane is the man in charge and making a colossal cluster funk, not the current CEO or anyone else from the board, there was another big article a while back that made it front page which suggested the same thing.

meg or anyone else wont make any "saving" moves for HP because their not the ones in charge tbh.
Old 01/15/2013, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Funny, even before I read the article and it's mention of Agilent, I have figured the only way to save HP is if they treat their divisions as spin-offs. The problem with that is that those divisions would like most large companies, go to war against each other and make things worse.

It could work, but they would need a 1) strong leader, 2) a good internal sales person to sell... , 3) a vision of how to proceed and succeed and 4) he smarts to get there. But I don't think there is anyone left there to fill that role. All the smart people caught the rooftop helicopters a long time ago.

For those too young to remember: Fall of Saigon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(a great HP caption could be attached to that picture.)

C
Old 01/15/2013, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
Funny, even before I read the article and it's mention of Agilent, I have figured the only way to save HP is if they treat their divisions as spin-offs. The problem with that is that those divisions would like most large companies, go to war against each other and make things worse.

It could work, but they would need a 1) strong leader, 2) a good internal sales person to sell... , 3) a vision of how to proceed and succeed and 4) he smarts to get there. But I don't think there is anyone left there to fill that role. All the smart people caught the rooftop helicopters a long time ago.

For those too young to remember: Fall of Saigon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(a great HP caption could be attached to that picture.)

C
for a better comparison google around for "the downfall of commodore internaltional", heres a quick snip from 1 such search.

Quote:
.....also explains how Irving Gould, the money-man and venture capitalist behind Commodore, constantly interfered when things were seemingly running smoothly. It is widely recognized that Irving Gould and Medhi Ali (the CEO he instated at the time) ultimately caused the sad demise of Commodore through 1993-94, yet the details of how it happened have always been sketchy until now. Thomas Rattigan, former CEO of Commodore, was interviewed and gives his personal thoughts and experiences during his time with the company. He also talks about his untimely dismissal by Gould. The later sections of the book describe how numerous marketing mishaps and poor business sense led to a dwindling stock price and an eventual filing for liquidation. Bagnall accurately describes the heartbreaking end to a great company that deserved much more success and recognition.
if you find a good enough webpage that explains all you will find amazing comparisons to HP and their board.

bolded 2 parts that remind me of ray lanes interering and the HP state of affairs in general.
Old 01/15/2013, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
for a better comparison google around for "the downfall of commodore international", heres a quick snip from 1 such search.

if you find a good enough webpage that explains all you will find amazing comparisons to HP and their board.

bolded 2 parts that remind me of ray lanes interfering and the HP state of affairs in general.

I like this, it could be a new game. Make up YOUR favorite HP analogy...
Old 01/15/2013, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Note View Post

I like this, it could be a new game. Make up YOUR favorite HP analogy...
we could win a leo apotheker voodoo doll as a prize.
Old 01/15/2013, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
we could win a leo apotheker voodoo doll as a prize.
LOL now that sounds fun.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0