Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    LG's 2013 Google TVs feature OnLive gaming and Magic Remote with enhanced voice recognition | The Verge


    I know Derek said that LG and gram have been working on a webOs tv, but will it even matter if Android looks and acts as similar to webOs? Matias is probably implementing all of webOs' best features into Android 5.0. I mean look at Google now and how they are implementing the card metaphor. I just saw these Google tv's and thought, damn thats what webOs tv would look like.
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by twint7787 View Post
    LG's 2013 Google TVs feature OnLive gaming and Magic Remote with enhanced voice recognition | The Verge


    I know Derek said that LG and gram have been working on a webOs tv, but will it even matter if Android looks and acts as similar to webOs? Matias is probably implementing all of webOs' best features into Android 5.0. I mean look at Google now and how they are implementing the card metaphor. I just saw these Google tv's and thought, damn thats what webOs tv would look like.
    As far as we know now, there won't be a webOS TV unless we design one ourselves (set top box and remote). After looking at webOS, LG has most likely decided to keep going with Google.


    Edit: Here's my thread on the subject where we could discuss possible TV features and UI concepts, but since this is the day after a major holiday, it hasn't been too popular (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-workshop.html)
    Last edited by Remy X; 12/25/2012 at 04:37 PM.
  3. #3  
    And they will continue to 'adapt" (steal, if you prefer) the best from each other as long as there no copyright ramifications.

    Each manufacturer started out with distinctive features. It was up to them to shore up their weaknesses and improve their overall product. Apple has done that, Google has really done that. Microsoft has not, and let's not even talk about RIM.

    I saw the "touch- to-share" Samsung ad last week and almost spit out my eggnog. Inductive charging is now being touted as a cool feature by some. The 'poor man's' implementation of multi-tasking in Android's current OS is another example. And did you see the Android ad where one guys say to the other something to the effect of "You have 2 applications running at the same time?"

    Remember when all of those were dismissed as meaningless features. (won't talk about the phone Ad I saw where some Android manufacturer was touting Beats audio...).

    The fact is webOS had the seeds for success...but the hardware was never improved, and sorely needed to be. The OS didn't mature at all (it could be argued that we are at version 1.7.x rather than a version 2.x), and all of the executive suite distractions pretty much doomed any catchup campaign.

    It is almost enough to make you cry. As I hang on to my aging Pre2, knowing that it will most likely be my last webOS phone, I wonder what the future will be. Apple? Android? Or some company yet to make a mark ?

    Waiting for the OpenOS project to bear fruit, but the competition is not standing still either - so while my heart is with them, I'm not expecting to see OpenOS become a game changer in the market.

    If the other are going to shamelessly "borrow" from webOS, at least get it right! So far, I haven't seen anything that has.

    C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Remy X likes this.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    As far as we know now, there won't be a webOS TV unless we design one ourselves (set top box and remote). After looking at webOS, LG has most likely decided to keep going with Google.


    Edit: Here's my thread on the subject where we could discuss possible TV features and UI concepts, but since this is the day after a major holiday, it hasn't been too popular (http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-workshop.html)
    I'm curious as to what brings you to this conclusion?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'm curious as to what brings you to this conclusion?
    There was a news article stating LG is going full steam with Google TV for 2013. I think it was in WebOS Internals' Twitter feed.
  6.    #6  
    I recently came into the ownership of a Nexus 7 tablet and its pretty nice. Just type poops on everything so that's not even a competition, but the multitasking isn't awful. Its fast because of the hardware but I really can't complain coming from no tablet and my pre 2. I will say that being my first android device, widgets are a mess. I hope someone steals just type because it is still better than any other search.

Posting Permissions