1.    #1  
    Nokia's N-Gage was officially announced today. Looks like it will be out in time for the Xmas season, so it's a ways off. I was looking through the FAQ and saw that it will allow for syncing contacts, calendar, and tasks with Lotus and Microsoft (I assume MS Outlook) software. Given the target market (younguns'), it's a pretty safe bet that this will be priced pretty low (I'd guess under $200 - perhaps quite a bit under).

Personally, I like the idea of having a thumbboard. But, if nothing else, I can't help but wonder if (especially given Handspring's current financial situation) they'll really be able to outlast some of the big guns like Nokia for the long (or even medium) haul. I believe Nokia has another phone coming out that has a full QWERTY keyboard.

Companies like this (include Sony here) have the ability to push out new devices every couple of months, it seems. By the time Handspring and Palm get their devices out, they're usually a bit outdated already. It's a shame, too, because I really think that the American companies (like Handspring) are much better at designing OSes and good user interfaces.

Scott
    couple of things. you are right about american design. americans are great creative thinkers but then others do better at manufacturing and quality control. nobody would credit japan with inventing the car or the computer, but they sure took them and ran with them. u.s. still dominates in software, the creative part.

as for nokia vs handspring, its a classic example of quality control. handspring probably would have been better off (and who knows what options might have been explored) if they had someone like nokia or motorola implement their design. heaven knows the return rate and failure rate on the treo is high, then add in the cheap paint job and plastic case...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Originally posted by aarons12
    couple of things. you are right about american design. americans are great creative thinkers but then others do better at manufacturing and quality control.
    Perhaps Apple Computer, Inc. should design and manufacture the next generation of Treo. That is one American company that its creative mind is second to none.
    m00se
    interesting idea. except for my first computer in 1979, i have always been in the pc world. but i was in compusa passing by the mac display the other day and was looking at their new clear ball speakers. what an amazing design!! and they sound great and seem durable as well.

maybe they will see this...
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Scott, we started a similar discussion at PIC about the N-Gage. Let me just quote some stuff I said over there b/c I'm toolazy to retype everything:

I think this device is going to have a huge impact not only on just mobile gaming but all mobile handheld products. The fact is that gaming is one of the major forces in technology that pushes the envelope of innovation. This will be even more pronounced will mobile handsets b/c they will be more pervasive and omnipresent than fixed platforms (i.e X-Box). I fervantly believe that this one area where PalmOS is woefully lacking. PalmSource needs to push the OS as a gaming platform just as much as it pushes for pda, multimendia, enterpirse and smartphone platforms. Gaming can possibly be the biggest segments of them all. The N-Gage is an incredible device b/c it combines the interoperability of a gameboy-like device with wireless functionality (gsm/gprs + BT). Thus you don't have to be stuck in your room hooked up to some dsl or cable-modem in order to play online against other players. Add to that a Symbian based Series 60 interface, and you have a powerful product to take on the likes of Nintendo, currently the king of mobile gaming.
    I basically think that mobile wireless gaming is another application in addtion to "always on email" connectivity that OEM's and wireless providers can use to sell the public on 3G (as well as other broadband) serices. Thus I think gaming will also fuel the growth of wireless networks and smartphones and hope PalmOS has a role in this future. Any thoughts....
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    I basically think that mobile wireless gaming is another application in addtion to "always on email" connectivity that OEM's and wireless providers can use to sell the public on 3G (as well as other broadband) serices. Thus I think gaming will also fuel the growth of wireless networks and smartphones and hope PalmOS has a role in this future. Any thoughts....
    I'm not 100% sure that I care if the Palm OS is part of this future. The reason I say that is because I want a device that does the things I need it to do without getting in the way. When the first Pocket PCs came out I got an iPaq and became frustrated with it because the OS "got in the way" and I switched back to the Palm OS. The Palm OS was designed from the ground up to be a great PIM device. It was not designed from the ground up to be a great wireless communicator/PIM device though I believe that Handspring has done the best job of trying to adapt it for that. But take a look at the Danger device and you'll see the same "built from the ground up" philosophy there. The Pocket PC folks like to say that one of the reasons that the Pocket PC is better is because it offers true multitasking. To me, the lack of multitasking never "got in the way" on the Palm OS because the task switching worked so well (by and large). However, with the advent of wireless, more multitasking is needed. I need to be able to surf the web and be notified that I got an email or that someone wants to chat with me via IM. The Danger device can handle this. It's possible that PalmSource can enhance the Palm OS to handle this better as well.

There's a lot about the Danger device that I don't like. I have some ideas for a more "perfect" device, which I'll have to put together one of these days.

Scott
    I think Palm and Handspring are doing the right things. Pimple-faced college students or high schoolers (the biggest gamers) cannot afford a $500 USD phone. However, this is not a big deal for the business types. Most serious business types do not have time to play games.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    The Register has an early review/preview of the N Gage. While the technology is great in there, and the device seems awesome - nokia appears to have no clue how to design a game machine. From the reg, the buttons are horrible (it doesn't ignore stray presses) , and there are no shoulder buttons for your forefingers...

Also it requires you to remove the entire back of the device to put a new game in - no slot at top. It uses MMC cards (good!) to store games, but they have them next to the SIM card... That is not very useable.

The Register also mentioned the fact that nokia appears to have no Q.C. in place to make sure games are good before letting people release them... IMHO that is good and bad.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic
    IThus I think gaming will also fuel the growth of wireless networks and smartphones and hope PalmOS has a role in this future. Any thoughts....
    I am not sure that gaming will fuel the growth of wireless networks, although my hunch is to the contrary. In any event, I doubt that kids nowadays have $800 to throw at this gizmo willingly. (But, then again, I also predicted the 70's fashion will not be back that soon either. Ouch.)
    m00se
    I'm in college and I don't have any pimples....

TheHandlessKing
    Latest moBlog shot: