webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > [I'm Watch] - Did you see this ad?
[I'm Watch] - Did you see this ad?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By Wayenberg

Old 12/04/2012, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

One of the banner ads being cycled today was for an Android-powered watch...

I'm Watch

i'm Developer - Technologies

Now i don't wear jewelry for the most part, so no rings, earrings or wristwatches, just a silver chain around my neck...

But... if one day it could run webOS, i would totally own one, wrapped in Zagg screen protector film and sync it with a Veer

And waterproof it with one of the nanotech spray technologies already available (..i'm thinking NeverWet, but that's not yet available to consumers, that leaves only CeraCoat at this moment) so i could wear it in the shower while the Veer sits on the shelf next to the bathroom mirror... and it could wake me up in the morning too...

I'm only dreaming of course, but if the Bluetooth profile side could be updated to add extra support...

And then rig it with Touchstone charging and "touch to share" as a means of unlocking a password-protected Touchpad or phone

Ok, i have to stop now...

. . .

Edit: Now if it has an accelerometer and an ambient light sensor ( i never checked), it could tell whether i'm awake or asleep and wake me up for only the important calls... and when i wake up in the morning, ask me if it's time for the coffee maker to brew my coffee... this could open up a whole new territory for a "living calendar", that issues reminders based on the user's location, activity level and other behavior.... and write "split level" apps that have half running on the phone and the other half running on the watch... {now i claim common-law "patent" on this... not the legal filing, but "prior art", to make sure i never get cheated out of my right to create my own implementation of this idea}

Last edited by Remy X; 12/04/2012 at 09:34 PM.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Alright, here's some tech specs...

Accelerometer, magnetometer, bluetooth, color screen, (i'm assuming speaker, mic and vibrator)...

Sensors | i'm Watch

When i find out CPU, memory, Android version and screen resolution, i'll post it here...

Android SDK emulator configuration for testing apps:

Quote:
Target: Android 1.6 – API level 4
SD card size: 4 GiB
Skin custom resolution: 240x239
Abstracted LCD density: 120 dpi
Max VM application heap size: 24 MB
But the app possibilities are great, esp. for older people (80, 90-something) living alone and not wanting to have someone be there all the time... detect a fall and have it call 911 from your own phone

And not lose your parked car at that age...

And for me, i'll probably mount mine on a cloth elastic band to that i could wear it higher up my arm.... and i'd want it to play nice with a pair of Bluetooth stereo headphones and so it could be used to control the music player, and as a bad way to switch PowerPoint slides on a Bluetooth-enabled projector... ahh... and what else? control the A/C thermostat and change TV channels on my webOS TV... and replace a Wii-mote... and remote-start my car

Pricing:

"i'm Color" -series: $ 389.00

Aluminum body with silicone strap...

"i'm Tech" -series: $ 999.00 titanium; with anodized body (blue or black): $ 1199.00

"i'm Jewel"-series: $ 1999.00 silver; $16,999.00 gold; $19,999.00 gold with diamonds...

With natural rubber strap...

Sheesh... those prices are crazy... a jeweler can modify a titanium model into anything you'd want, and it would cost less than 20 grand

Watch screenshots: http://www.imwatch.it/us-en/smartwat...tures/im_droid

I'll wait for someone else to dig deeper and come up with all the relevant information...

Last edited by Remy X; 12/04/2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12/04/2012, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone imagined how the webOS interface would fit on it? Card view would need serious modification (launcher as gesture only, no card view but current LunaCE swipe switching, etc.). Enyo panels would be pointless, and webOS style notification wouldn't feel as nice (it would be similar to Android style notifications on such a small screen).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's true, but card view would still make sense. And i'd make a point to imitate the gesture area LED for notifications.

But i'd love for this to replace the key fob for my car, and have an app on the phone that would find the watch around the house, and an app on the watch that would find the phone if i misplaced it. As someone who likes the Veer, i'm pretty comfortable with designing an interface for a screen as small as this...

So i must say i'm still excited about it...
Old 12/05/2012, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

My advice, avoid spoil your money on this.
I sold mine 3 monthes ago; it has no sms app, nor is the watch working with our favourite devices.
And it's much more ugly and thick than the pics suggest, ans its app catalog is way behind of webOS.
The hardware is not fluid with android, webOS on it will be a nightmare....
Wayenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/05/2012, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayenberg View Post
My advice, avoid spoil your money on this.
I sold mine 3 monthes ago; it has no sms app, nor is the watch working with our favourite devices.
And it's much more ugly and thick than the pics suggest, ans its app catalog is way behind of webOS.
The hardware is not fluid with android, webOS on it will be a nightmare....
Hmm, thanks for the review

I can only imagine how the suckers would feel who bought the diamond version and no-one will want to buy it off of them when they start feeling the way you do...

However, i still like the concept and will be waiting for the next generation device, or for when i can get my hands on one for a lot less than the sticker price, like 1/3... because i'd definitely be taking one apart and working on developing the concept further.

A good part of the thickness is the battery, and if that were to be moved to another part, such as the wristband (in a protective casing, no less) the issue of bulk could be resolved.

Another device/functionality i'd love to add would be for a programmable RFID chip functionality, where the watch could impersonate a series of RFID devices. {i once again stake my claim over my invention, a watch that could be a "RFID wallet", so that i may have my chance to build something based upon this idea}

Now that i think about it, if i could get one for cheap and tear it apart, study it, build something new, i would. It would be worth the time and worth the expense, even if i "brick" one in the process, or if it will be another competitor's device and not this one. The concept is worth working on

Last edited by Remy X; 12/05/2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12/05/2012, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

So i've been looking around and found this and will be looking in the coming months if anything else will appear in the same device category

https://motoactv.com/
"Motorola MOTOACTV, world's first fitness tracker and MP3 player in one"

Tech specs page, and Motorola is whole lot more upfront about it

https://motoactv.com/home/page/specs.html

Last edited by Remy X; 12/05/2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12/05/2012, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, what a mess..

Just got done reading about their "production cycle"... @Wayenberg, you must have been one of the first 500 or so orders, because they just totally screwed up every step of the way and made everyone wait. Too bad that when they go out of business there won't be anything to buy at liquidation prices. Oh well, by then even chinese clones will be better than this product...
Old 12/05/2012, 04:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

JooJoo and Grid10, anyone? Funny how the CEO of Fusion Garage is now making iPhone accessories with will.i.am. And the products are still laughable.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
JooJoo and Grid10, anyone? Funny how the CEO of Fusion Garage is now making iPhone accessories with will.i.am. And the products are still laughable.
JooJoo? The one that started out being called the CrunchPad? lol...

Yea i remember. The Linux tablet with an Intel chip and a CPU fan.. they should have just gone ahead and put Windows on it ..

Grid10, i had to look it up. More of the same, in the same strange form factor... go Fusion Garbage....

I wish companies like that wouldn't waste everyone's time, effort and money... but then i will waste theirs. Each time the i'm Watch ad will come around, i'll click on it and support webOSnation. Sweet revenge

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0