webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > What's been your hardware damage so far?
What's been your hardware damage so far?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 11/20/2012, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just a fun thread to see how destructive our accidents can get and what are the typical design weaknesses when it comes to the existing webOS devices

Mine:

Pre+: cracked screen near the USB port, 3mm deep, doesn't affect anything... due to a 3ft drop.

OEM micro-USB cable from the Pre+, crushed near the standard USB plug, still works fine for charging and data transfers... due to a heavy box resting on top of a plugged in barrel charger.

Touchpad: a 10mm hairline crack between the power button and screen edge... due to the Touchpad charging on the couch on the Touchstone, the Touchstone stand folded up on its own and the Touchpad slid off the couch, with the power button scraping a strip of varnish off the oak floor... and that was on the very first day... i still have it in the factory plastic wrap, so there isn't a single scratch...

And that's it! ..Nothing more
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Touchpad: hairline crack on bottom right speaker, barely noticable, and with my new rear cover its totally un-noticable now, not bad considering ive dropped it more than a handful of times when falling asleep reading in bed.

Pre3: thankfully immaculate, dropped it exactly twice, saved from any damage with the pdair case, which i feel was my best purchase for it so far.
Old 11/20/2012, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pre2 fell off bed and landed on power button squashing the spring I guess. Have since fixed it by popping it out and inserting piece of plastic. Bought it a new back for christmas, now all is good
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Almost invisible hairline crack on the right speaker of my TP. Fell off a table two times within an hour, but doesn't seem like there was any damage.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Pre has been dropped more times than I care for, mostly on concrete and asphalt. There are nicks all around the edges, a piece missing on the top left corner, and the typical crack by the USB port. My other devices are in good shape other than the cracks adjacent to the speakers on my Touchpad, and my old Pre that my puppy chewed up and destroyed the screen.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

small crack starting at the USB port of my original Sprint Pre (fixed with super glue)
small crack around a speaker with one of my Touchpads
lost the center of the P on the back of my Pre3 when I dropped it on the pavement
hrminer92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Palm Pre 2: Luckily my phone has been quite a strong little fella(despite of it being built on plastic), it has been dropped twice(all by accident) and yet there hasn't been no crack or anything broken. Once it fell face flat on the pavement(a day after I bought it online) was so happy that the screen didn't crack at all(don't know if the Gorilla Glass had anything to do). Anyhow, despite being dropped twice it's still brand new no scratch of scuffs.

TouchPad: Ever since the device was bought during the FireSale, it was in mint conditions while it sat on the TouchStone Charger without any actual use. After six months, I noticed a small crack on the right side of the speaker grill(similar to other reports from other members) which was quickly fixed with a patch of crazy glue. And now that it sits lonely in it's original box, I'm sure no more cracks will happen to it anymore.
Old 11/21/2012, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

TouchPad: the inevitable hairline cracks at both speakers.

Pre 3: No damage so far (knocks on wood) although I have dropped it already several times.
Old 11/21/2012, 04:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

My phones all have gouges on them, various possible hairline cracks, and such.

As far as TouchPads go, the 4 that have gone through this family are in perfect condition, except for a hairline crack at the headphone jack on my primary developer device, caused when I discovered that you can't set a TouchPad on top of an iPad, without the TouchPad sliding off the iPad as if it were greased black ice.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 04:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Pre-: several drops with no real damage but bad build quality at USB-Port (screen ghost touches), Audio-Port (Headset mode stuck), Battery-Touchstone-Cover crack made it unusabel.

Pre2 serval drops with no harm, well some mini dents in the softtouch material - pretty rough so far. But as precaution i'm using headset/usb and battery cover less than with Pre-
Old 11/21/2012, 10:58 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Pre3 shines like new, due to me being very loving with the very few gadgets I have.

Nothing is perfect: The S key doesn't work if I don't press it harder than the rest. Imagine it breaks completely: I'm sure all virtual keyboard haters should retract...

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

Pre-: cracked screen. Inoperable.
Pixi: no damage per se, but touchstone back cover suddenly warped on one side.
TouchPad: crack by speaker, just like everyone else.
Pre 3: no damage per se, but little chrome center of the P in the HP logo came off.

Overall, I'm satisfied. No functional problems (e.g. boot loops, etc.) on any device.
carldc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 02:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Touchpad; 5 speaker cracks, 1 crack by USB port. Been dropped exactly once, but saw no cracks from that drop?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 08:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

Touchpad: frame around the left speaker (with the power inlet on right) cracked out and the USB power cable broke twice (might have been bumped a few times too many, don't have a Touchstone). Otherwise the unit (32gb) is still working fine on webOS 3.0.5 after upgrade. Not attempted to install Android yet. Downloaded 138 apps, patches, etc. From Pre-central and HP catalog.
GlobalTraveler5565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 06:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

Pre Plus: keyboard went bust two times and the slider was getting awkward. All within a year
Pre 3: constant Reboots, problem with a broken cable, now it has a little crack in the lower left edge of the keyboard. All within a year of usage.
Touchpad: fell down once and got a broken shell and glass. Thank god I had a care pack contract and got a replacement. Else, there is nothing yet (after one and a halve year).

Hardware quality of the Pre smartphones was ... well, let's stay friendly and call it "dubious".
Old 12/10/2012, 08:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Touchpad:

1). Case cracks as per.
2). Rubber case warp-scenario around buttons etc (I now reckon this may be due to GREASE off humanoid fingers being absorbed by and RE-acting with the case compound - rendering it stretchy/soft/distorted).
3). USB Port getting slack and wobnly fit for micro USB cable.
4). Damage: Interesting one this - as a matal sculptor I was using an image on the TP as a reference, when "splat" a big dollop of red hot metal plopped onto the glass screen melting a 'dint' into it!
I used a knife to scratch the metal away and now have an interesting 'blemish' remaining!
Perhaps the guys who polish stone-chip damage out of automotive windscreen shields could do something to 'smoothe' it out again?

All in the 'working life' of a TP I guess!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 11:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

Pre: usb port is no more, thank you wifi sync and touchstone chargers, chung missing in in lower right corner of screen, gesture are is about 3/4's left, gouges and nicks in the screen, huge spider crack left side of face(dont bite your phone)

Touchpad: speaker hairline crack finally separated so pulled if off from around the speak grill, glass and back showing some separation.
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 11:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
My phones all have gouges on them, various possible hairline cracks, and such.

As far as TouchPads go, the 4 that have gone through this family are in perfect condition, except for a hairline crack at the headphone jack on my primary developer device, caused when I discovered that you can't set a TouchPad on top of an iPad, without the TouchPad sliding off the iPad as if it were greased black ice.
ROFLMAO

Between the wife and I... I cracked two original sprint Pre cases (broke the front bezel) and wife cracked the back part of her case where is snaps together.... Wife has hairline speaker crack in her 16 gig TP..... Lost the center of the P on my Pre3, then pulled the rest of the HP logo off.

Not bad for three years with webOS.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2012, 04:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Pre Plus: keyboard went bust two times and the slider was getting awkward. All within a year

Hardware quality of the Pre smartphones was ... well, let's stay friendly and call it "dubious".
Lol, you funny Buddy with your kind words in regards to the Palm phone quality of the Pre

In my experience of the Pre 2, I have never had any cracks of any kind like many of you[posters] had described about the phones. And that comes with me[clumsy] dropping it two times, and no problems so far with the slider or the structure of the phone. The only thing that I fear, will be the slider through extensive use with the ability to open the phone up to reveal keyboard. I hope that the slider mechanism doesn't break over the course of time or worse at it (my favorite phone gets damaged).
Old 12/10/2012, 04:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Lol, you funny Buddy with your kind words in regards to the Palm phone quality of the Pre

In my experience of the Pre 2, I have never had any cracks of any kind like many of you[posters] had described about the phones. And that comes with me[clumsy] dropping it two times, and no problems so far with the slider or the structure of the phone. The only thing that I fear, will be the slider through extensive use with the ability to open the phone up to reveal keyboard. I hope that the slider mechanism doesn't break over the course of time or worse at it (my favorite phone gets damaged).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
Pre 3: constant Reboots, problem with a broken cable, now it has a little crack in the lower left edge of the keyboard. All within a year of usage.
Touchpad: fell down once and got a broken shell and glass. Thank god I had a care pack contract and got a replacement. Else, there is nothing yet (after one and a halve year).

bad/good luck for any brand of device tbh, your either lucky or out of luck in general.

remember sledge's recent trip into android-land, new shiney phone them BAM, landed on the ground and knackered.

......be gentle and prolong your luck - esp if its something like a pre3 or touchpad, they dont grow on tree's these days

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0