webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > What's been your hardware damage so far?
What's been your hardware damage so far?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 12/10/2012, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
bad/good luck for any brand of device tbh, your either lucky or out of luck in general.

remember sledge's recent trip into android-land, new shiney phone them BAM, landed on the ground and knackered.

......be gentle and prolong your luck - esp if its something like a pre3 or touchpad, they dont grow on tree's these days
LOL I was just thinking about this over the weekend, can't remember what I was doing but had Pre3 sitting somewhat precariously and not in it's soft case... thought to myself if this hits the hard tile the glass is gone, quickly moved the phone to a safer locale
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 02:24 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
LOL I was just thinking about this over the weekend, can't remember what I was doing but had Pre3 sitting somewhat precariously and not in it's soft case... thought to myself if this hits the hard tile the glass is gone, quickly moved the phone to a safer locale
oh yes, leave nothing to chance, phone never leaves its nice pdair case now. Used to remove it now and then, but as time moves on and ebay prices remain reasonably high I'm risking nothing at this stage.
Old 12/11/2012, 04:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

Looks like it's finally happened. I've now got a big crack on the right speaker of my TouchPad. Oh well, just as long as it doesn't pop off.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 12:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

My wife has had the crack on her TP for quite some time, I have done nothing about it and we don't really think about it, she uses it every day and it sits on touchstone every night, last I checked hasn't appeared to be any worse
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 11:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Looks like it's finally happened. I've now got a big crack on the right speaker of my TouchPad. Oh well, just as long as it doesn't pop off.
If you really care about the crack or you think that it might get worse, you could carefully apply a bit of crazy glue or gorilla glue on the small crack in the speaker grill area. That should fix the problems with the crack on the TouchPad.....it fixed my problem with my tablet.
Old 12/11/2012, 11:55 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
If you really care about the crack or you think that it might get worse, you could carefully apply a bit of crazy glue or gorilla glue on the small crack in the speaker grill area. That should fix the problems with the crack on the TouchPad.....it fixed my problem with my tablet.
I kind of disagree. I would be more inclined to buy from someone a secondhand Touchpad that has a crack but no glue. With a lump of glue, a protector film won't lay flat, so i'd have to spend two or more hours to get the glue off without anyhow altering the surface before i can apply the film...

Anyhow, that's just me...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 07:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

My Pre- is perfectly fine, boots up, but I don't use it every day, so the battery now sucks. My TouchPad is fine except for the cracks on the side.

Last edited by hmns; 12/13/2012 at 11:53 AM.
hmns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 09:57 AM   #28 (permalink)

I had been doing pretty well with taking care of my original pre plus. I'm really pretty conscientious about hardware care. It had very little damage after using it as my full-time everything device for over two years.

Then one day while taking my dog to the vet, I forgot to zip up the jacket pocket that I normally keep my phone in. It fell out while I was running with my dog across the concrete parking lot. It didn't simply fall, though. I didn't even notice it had come out until it made contact with my foot that was coming forward in my running stride. The poor phone went sailing about 20 feet through the air in a nice arcing parabola, smacked down onto the concrete, and then thanks to the smooth riverstone design, skidded another 50 feet or so across the rough surface of the parking lot. Amazingly, it still turned on and worked just fine, if you don't mind the completely shattered and scratched screen. I guess it wasn't really fine, though, as shortly after it lost the ability to charge batteries, or even detect the charge in a fully charged battery. Luckily, Daily Steals had their $79 Pre2 deal at right about that time, so I'm still set with webOS goodness.

TL;DR I drop-kicked my pre plus onto a concrete parking lot.
noahisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/12/2012, 11:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

LOL I have done that (accidental drop-kick) at least once, though fortunately for me it didn't do much damage. My Pre still works, but I did the FrankenPre2 swap so I too am rocking the Pre 2 now. Has a minor scratch on the glass, but I hate screen protectors so that is the risk I take.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 05:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
LOL I have done that (accidental drop-kick) at least once, though fortunately for me it didn't do much damage. My Pre still works, but I did the FrankenPre2 swap so I too am rocking the Pre 2 now. Has a minor scratch on the glass, but I hate screen protectors so that is the risk I take.
How you like the pre2
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 02:33 AM   #31 (permalink)

Talking about screen protectors, here's what it looks like on my TouchPad:
http://www.picdepict.com/images/5381...5367280843.jpg
I don't know what it is, but it's taken up the same pattern as the lid of the official TouchPad case. The screen protector is (maybe) protecting the screen from whatever this thing is, so maybe I'm eligible for warranty replacement? It still costs $15 or something after shipping.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 08:36 AM   #32 (permalink)

I have three Pre Plus phones - only one of which is a daily driver anymore. The two "retired" phones are pristine. They look nearly brand new. The daily driver was my daughters daily driver for the past year. It's been through hell.

If we ignore dirt and grunge then here are the defects:

1) Chipped case (open hole 1/8 inch by 1/6 inch) near power button.
2) Power Button flakey.
3) USB Port door gone.
4) USB Port flakey.
5) Reverse Check Mark shaped gouge in the screen (1/8 inch long)
6) 19 or more keys partially or fully WORN AWAY. The Option (Orange on Sprint) key is almost level with the face of the phone. The spacebar is U shaped with a grove worn in the middle.
7) One Sedio 3200 (I think) battery ruined. Bulged.
8) One Hardshell SLIDER plastic case - Color worn off looks like metor damge - blue case with silver and black showing through.
9) One Palm USB cord with no plastic around the metal end for the phone side.
10) File System is damaged. Can't undock/eject if you hook to a computer in USB mode.

Daughter is 13... need I say more?
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 01:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
How you like the pre2
Overall I love it. There are a few things that are faster on webOS 1.4.5, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. My Pre had a flaky keyboard and cracked screen. Without autocorrect, the keyboard was a real pain.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2012, 05:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Sprint Pre 1: Battery seating failure
Sprint Pre 2: Bad (1cm) oreo
Sprint Pre 3: Broken Touchstone contact (still don't know how that happened)
Sprint Pre 4: Cracking along USB port
Sprint FrankenPre 2: Dropped on corner, scuffed shell and volume rocker
Not-for-review Pre3: Disconcerting scratching in center of screen (pre-production unit, not Gorilla Glass?)
Euro Pre3: Dropped on corner, scuffed case and power button, sent to Canada.
AT&T Pre3: Coating scratched off on top left of upper slider, uneven wear of coating on back around Touchstone mount points.
Black TouchPad: Installed Android on it.
White TouchPad: Hairline cracks between the screen and each speaker, as well as one on the other side.
Veer: Perfect condition (and rarely used).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0