1.    #1  
    I installed Palm Desktop and all my Treo apps to a 100MB zip-disk and I am hotsyncing at my work to this on drive D:\palm

My Zip-disk on my machine at home is drive E:\
    I installed Palm Desktop to that and tried hotsyncing to the zip-disk from my work . . . Treo cannot detect pc at all!!!!

Palm Desktop starts fine and the Hotsync manager on both pcs show my user name correctly but the Treo is just not being detected on one of the machines (syncs fine on the other).

Question1 - does the Treo itself 'know' which drive it should be syncing to? I cant see how . . . . . I am using the same zip-disk at home and at work so I cant see how it 'knows' whicjh location it is at?

Question2 - Where are the key settings kept? In the folder Palm or in the username folder? I know the driver is in Windows/inf

Question3 - Anyone successfully hotsync at home AND at work? Whats the best way . . . avoiding duplicate entries.
    i think you are right about the drive issue being what is confusing the treo. i don't know the answer but i'm sure somebody will and will post it.

as to home and work, i sync my treo separately on my home, office, and occasionally my laptop. this gives me several backups of what has become very important information. i also use intellisync to sync my yahoo calendar on the web.

once i learned to pay attention to settings, i have had no problems with duplicate entries. i am syncing my yahoo calendar and address book from the web, theoretically the same place from both home and office, that might actually help with not having dupes. not sure, but i know it all works.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply . . . . . . . . I presume you installed to the same drive on each pc/laptop?
    Originally posted by duckznutz
    Thanks for the reply . . . . . . . . I presume you installed to the same drive on each pc/laptop?
    yes. boring old 'c' drive

maybe you could re-assign drive letters so that your zip drive is the same on the 2 systems?
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  5.    #5  
    Well it just took me 3 hours and my head is spinning but I have solved my problem! Joy! I was convinced it was a drivers issue and I slowly read my way through the Handspring help pages on their website.

It seems that the correct driver for my Treo is VISORUSB.sys . . . . . . but my constant re-installs of the Palm Desktop f**k up the registry and it keeps looking for PALMUSBD.sys!

The solution was incredibly simple . . . find the bad driver PALMUSBD.sys (on my pc it was in windows\system32\drivers) and then find the good driver VISORUSB.sys, rename it . . and drop it into 'windows\system32\drivers' instead. Hotsync worked immediately . . without even a reboot!

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=5785

Well done Handspring . . excellent help-pages!
    congrats!