webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > What would you think of a webOS-based coffee table device?
What would you think of a webOS-based coffee table device?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xandros9

Old 11/02/2012, 09:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just a thought. I only realized yesterday that Microsoft borrowed the Surface name from their coffee table project, so when people were talking about running webOS on a Surface, i still assumed it was the table....

But then with LG working on a webOS TV, it's's not too much of a stretch to think of a coffee table device running webOS with some UI modifications.

There isn't much use for one of those things, but when better 3D display technologies become available, with people and device tracking, data sharing and the Senseg Technology*-*Senseg tactile pixels coating, it would become an amazing virtual reality table... great for reading maps and ordering clothes from a catalog....
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Why? So people can check their email on a 55" diagonal screen? Not many of the games would work terribly well, and the image pixellation would be insanely bad since webOS never supported vector-based graphics (since it doesn't even support SVG).

Would it be interesting? Sure. Would it be worth it? Only if you like a really, really bad user experience. Microsoft did it right because it was custom-built for that.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't like it. What's the use? It's annoying enough that I have to either hold a device in front of me (so my arms get tired), or put it on a flat surface and look down (so my neck gets cramped). Forcing the latter option is horrible.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 11:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Why? So people can check their email on a 55" diagonal screen? Not many of the games would work terribly well, and the image pixellation would be insanely bad since webOS never supported vector-based graphics (since it doesn't even support SVG).

Would it be interesting? Sure. Would it be worth it? Only if you like a really, really bad user experience. Microsoft did it right because it was custom-built for that.
I do mean custom-built.. re-imagining the system to fit hardware of that size. (LG also has to do something about it... a large screen 6' away vs a small one in the palm of the hand)

But keeping the card-based UI, with a separate set of cards for each user. And directional sound for everyone...

Something that's great for collaboration. I realize i should have laid out the whole concept beforehand.

But it looks really wonderful in my mind. Having multiple windows open in the size of a Touchpad screen, some hidden as cards. In card view, you pull a card towards you to throw away, and up to full-screen. If another user disagrees, they can draw a line with their finger and the window will stop expanding as soon as it hits that. Drag a card to give it to someone else.

It's still a little raw, i know.. but it seems to me that Microsoft's concept is more eye-candy and not so much a system for working on things together with gestures, in realtime. System-wide sharing of data will allow to create various visual structures from various data sources, and in some cases, copy the same app from a phone to the table and back (yes, i'm dreaming... but it's not far from "touch to share")...

And if anyone decides to take my idea and run with it, if they use webOS for the machine, great, if not, i reserve copyright. If i would suddenly have money and the materials, i'd build my own half-baked version, with less than stellar cross device sharing support...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/2012, 11:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Remy - Great idea! From my coffee table I would appreciate control of my juke box loaded with movie DVDs and music CDs.
RRaburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

First, webOS would have to be updated to even allow vector graphics. Which it hasn't. So it can't do it without looking like someone took a huge dump on the screen.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think webOS would work really well like this and certainly better than a LG TV without Touchscreen. Only real changes required would be UI scaling.

I'm not sure how well the 'coffee table' model would work for most people. Most coffee tables I see are used for cups and magazines etc. Adding webOS to it pretty much defeats the tables primary purpose. MSFT realised this and tried to sell Surface into shops and businesses etc. In these places I think webOS would be just as good, if not better.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

I thought this was talking about a webOS coffee-holder at first, like a cup
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 11/04/2012, 08:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Well if the coffee table was the interface for the TV, then maybe. I'm still trying to get my head around how this LG/webOS tv is supposed to work. Am I supposed to get up all the time to switch cards.....is it voice activated.....a separate Touchscreen remote control?
Old 11/04/2012, 09:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Well if the coffee table was the interface for the TV, then maybe. I'm still trying to get my head around how this LG/webOS tv is supposed to work. Am I supposed to get up all the time to switch cards.....is it voice activated.....a separate Touchscreen remote control?
maybe the remote will be akin to a playstation move with some regular buttons, a wandy type thing that substitutes your finger.
Old 11/04/2012, 11:34 AM   #11 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
I think webOS would work really well like this and certainly better than a LG TV without Touchscreen.
Isn't it likely the interface on the LG TV looks nothing like WebOS as currently (not) sold?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Isn't it likely the interface on the LG TV looks nothing like WebOS as currently (not) sold?
Who's know's. I actually hope they manage to keep the details a secret until launch.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/2012, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
I imagine it will be all but unrecognizable
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0