webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Is Having the webOS DNA Good Enough for You?
Is Having the webOS DNA Good Enough for You?
Like Tree9Likes

Old 10/30/2012, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello All,

While we all wait to see if the Open Source efforts will bear fruit, the rest of the mobile OS world is still moving too. Right now, with no dedicated hardware and litle developer support, the road is full of real obstacles.

However, as the rest of the mobile world evolves, I'm seeing more and more of the webOS "DNA" in various new offerings. From notifications, to the LG "chagring orb" , to various lame attempts (so far) to appropriate the card metaphor... it seems like much of what made webOS distinctive is being adapted by others. (Yeah, I know.... the same people who said that stuff didn't matter, will now call it innovative. But as the expression goes, to the "victor belongs the spoils" - and the ability to rewrite history.)

Here is the question(s):
Does it really matter once one of these OS'es emerges which adapts much of the distinctiveness of webOS?

Which of the commercially viable OS is most likeable to the hardcore webOS fan?

Does the slow but steady adoption of webOS features in other OS'es make it less likely that our favorite OS will ever be viable? (I'm afraid that may be the case)

Maybe to the ideologue who wants to fight the battle of which development environment is better or those who see the choice of an OS and its success as a personal indication of their technical prowess, but to the "get it done" user I'm not sure that it does.

Would enjoy the thoughts of other webOS users.

C
Liked by crazybirdman and Remy X like this.
Thanked By: crazybirdman
Old 10/30/2012, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

To me, it's not. I want the real thing, all in one piece, without a single missing feature.

The only time "webOS DNA" is good enough for me is when this DNA is the operating system, like LG is doing.

I don't watch TV, i don't like paying for cable TV, so i don't. I haven't watched a recently-released movie since Coraline (a stop-motion animated film about a girl who discovers a parallel universe where everyone is a "better" copy of the real world but with buttons stitched over their eyes)

I only watch YouTube, on my Pre+ or the Touchpad. But if the LG webOS TV comes out, i'm interested.

The other guys appropriating features, is only "other guys appropriating features". They don't have the soul, they don't have the dedication that the engineers at Palm had or the Homebrew developers here have. I'm not saying "oh band x sold out i'm not listening to them anymore", no, i absolutely mean that even though our project is running on vapors, the other guys get spoiled by having easy exposure and start producing turds like Apple Maps.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Thanked By: C-Note
Old 10/30/2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

Whether I'm ok or not with it..."IT" will be what it will be. If webOS goes away completely (even in the open source world) but certain aspects of the OS and the hardware that has gone along with it (e.g., the magical bulbous charging orb), then I am likely going to adapt to whatever choices present themselves that approximate, and sometimes exceed, the webOS experience.

Did that make sense? I'm saying, I don't like loosing most things 'webOS', but if I can't stop it, I'll have to use what works best for me. I'm going to be drawn to "webOS-ey" type things (OS's, hardware). So, I'll be...OK...come what may...and speaking of excrement plugs...doesn't that orb sort of resemble certain shapes you find in a cow pasture? I'm just saying, it's a bit too rounded in my opinion...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by C-Note likes this.
Old 10/30/2012, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, not good enough for me
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2012, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Whether I'm ok or not with it..."IT" will be what it will be. If webOS goes away completely (even in the open source world) but certain aspects of the OS and the hardware that has gone along with it (e.g., the magical bulbous charging orb), then I am likely going to adapt to whatever choices present themselves that approximate, and sometimes exceed, the webOS experience.

Did that make sense? I'm saying, I don't like loosing most things 'webOS', but if I can't stop it, I'll have to use what works best for me. I'm going to be drawn to "webOS-ey" type things (OS's, hardware). So, I'll be...OK...come what may...and speaking of excrement plugs...doesn't that orb sort of resemble certain shapes you find in a cow pasture? I'm just saying, it's a bit too rounded in my opinion...
I wasn't, but very funny.

(Kind of like Disney buying Pixar and now LucasFilms and expecting the same quality... but I digress, kind of. It is truly becoming a BIG MONEY world. And that has been a headwind of the Palm saga ever since the attempted renaissance in 2009).

But I guess the question is will the "borrowing" of so many aspects of the webOS UI blunt the ability of the original to make a case if the Open Source project starts to get traction? With less apps and no app development and no dedicated hardware, the primary reason to look at webOS was the well-designed user interface.

Seems like the competition knows that too. Not that they are scared at this point. But any successful company in the high stakes, high tech marketplace does not let any potential threat remain unchallenged. (Buy them outright, steal their 'secret sauce', bury them under a marketing barrage, OR steal their key personnel)
Old 10/30/2012, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

The essence of webOS experience is the cards+gestures. HP Touchpad lacks the gesture area, which takes away from the ease and intuitiveness... so i think pieces of the Palm/webOS don't have the same impact as everything together at once. If a competitor copied everything and ran with it, HP will take notice and demand royalties. So for now the borrowed innovations will remain somewhat scattered and won't have the flow and the feeling of "wholeness" that a real webOS device has...
Old 11/01/2012, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Since I loaded Android on my touchpad, I haven't booted back to webos (still have my Pre2). Guess what folks, APPs do matter... If I could get a card interface and true multitasking on an Android machine, I'd never look back... As it is, the sheer number of apps will keep my touchpad in android for a very long time...
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtiberio View Post
Since I loaded Android on my touchpad, I haven't booted back to webos (still have my Pre2). Guess what folks, APPs do matter... If I could get a card interface and true multitasking on an Android machine, I'd never look back... As it is, the sheer number of apps will keep my touchpad in android for a very long time...
I have an android tablet (most painful thing ever)... And I have a whole 10 apps that I find useful, anything else I've tried just proves to not be worth using (imho)... I'll take a few thousand great apps over several million terrible ones.
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

It needs that webOS workflow, which noone has gotten. (webOS made cards the centerpiece, everyone else has multitasking as a bolted on afterthough.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
It needs that webOS workflow, which no one has gotten. (webOS made cards the centerpiece, everyone else has multitasking as a bolted on afterthough.
I'd have to agree with you. I also have an Android phone and switching from a game to look some information and back to the game really shows how awesome the webOS implementation of multitasking really is. Any kind of operation in different programs simultaneously is much easier on my Pre2 than my Droid.

But since that benefit was not enough to overcome the poor hardware and lack developer support, and in some ways unpolished back end which cursed Palm/HP; how will webOS fare as their competitors begin to hack off features for their respective OS'es to make their offering compare better to webOs in the UX department. They may not imitate it completely but they don't need to. When you are in the lead, you just have to keep your customers from looking elsewhere. When you are behind, you've got the much harder job of giving people a reason to change.
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 11/01/2012, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

What makes webos essential for me is stacks. I tend to use the same apps all the time and I just make a stack or two an roll like that all day. Minimum scrolling and easy as pie. Can't give it up
Old 11/01/2012, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
What makes webos essential for me is stacks. I tend to use the same apps all the time and I just make a stack or two an roll like that all day. Minimum scrolling and easy as pie. Can't give it up
yea, and being able to have multiple iterations of apps in separate cards.
iOS is a mess when you're composing an email and have to refer to another one.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 07:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh, absolutely. I haven't used my iPod Touch v2 for email in so long (2 and half years) that i forgot that one. But it's a pain, along with the browser tabs being deleted/replaced by popup ads due to a pre-set limit on tabs, with no way to recover the lost tab afterwards.. and having all browser history wiped on reboot. Way to go Apple

Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it, because even with a low-powered, low-memory device it is possible to be a little more user-friendly.
Old 11/01/2012, 07:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
So why couldn't you just have two different email apps open and switch back and forth?
Old 11/01/2012, 08:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

In general the other operation systems are a bit more involved to operate. Grab an iphone or android an they are full of menus, back, cancel, more long press, etc

Hard for me to adjust
Old 11/01/2012, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
In general the other operation systems are a bit more involved to operate. Grab an iphone or android an they are full of menus, back, cancel, more long press, etc

Hard for me to adjust
lol.

I find myself trying to use the back gesture swipe on many devices that don't support it... i tried that on the Touchpad when i first unwrapped it, and was disappointed that only the "up" gesture worked, not the left-right swipes that are almost instinctive at this point...
Liked by laingman likes this.
Old 11/01/2012, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

I have an Android, and it isn't hard. Sure it took me a couple of weeks of actually trying, and relearning, but it wasn't hard....just like anything else I've had to learn. You get out of it, what you put into it.

I have 2 email accounts, both in Gmail, and it's pretty simple flipping back and forth between the two accounts, in the same app. In the instance provided above, where you are in the middle of writing an email, and want to refer to something in your inbox....it's back arrow....scroll to the email you're looking for.....do whatever it is you're doing, and continue on your email which is stored in a draft folder. It's different....not hard.
Old 11/01/2012, 08:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Well I have a stick shift mustang and a 4runner. The stick shift is not really hard but I find myself driving the automatic most of the time and I drive the mustang just for fun of changing gears and going fast.

Can't think of any scenario where I would prefer to use another operating system tho
Old 11/01/2012, 09:19 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
lol.

I find myself trying to use the back gesture swipe on many devices that don't support it... i tried that on the Touchpad when i first unwrapped it, and was disappointed that only the "up" gesture worked, not the left-right swipes that are almost instinctive at this point...
You know what else drives me crazy, the shade thing in android and IOS. I have gotten so used to the toggle action in webos every time I use one the others I can't get use to having to push that thing back up
Old 11/01/2012, 09:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well if it's a comfort-zone thing and you don't want to leave then that's fine....I'm not trying to talk you out of it, lol. I wanted to check something else out, and I happen to like it. I never realized how slow HSPA+ really is until I experienced LTE.....it's night and day.

Personally I think if somebody can figure out how to put an Alpha feed on their phone, then they can figure out....with a bit of willpower....how to use another operating system, without too much difficulty. I can guarantee you from my own experience with the Pre- ..that I had a hell of a time learning it, despite everyone saying how easy and intuitive it was for them. That's why I joined this site in the first place.....because I didn't know what the hell I was doing!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0