Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
Like Tree9Likes
  1. #21  
    LTE is tempting. My greatest wish however is just to be able to read any website in portrait mode. Well some sites are unreadable even in landscape
  2. #22  
    C-note, I didn't want to quote your post, kinda long. But what is so poor about pre2 hardware. My pre2 after many drops is in much better shape (looks brand new actually) than 3 out of five galaxy devices around here with cracked screens after one drop.

    Lack of apps,yes. If one needs them
  3. #23  
    Out of all the apps I have that I couldn't/can't get on webOS....I don't really need any of them. Want.....that's a different story.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    LTE is tempting. My greatest wish however is just to be able to read any website in portrait mode. Well some sites are unreadable even in landscape
    You must have faster hardware then, because on my VZW Pre+, i hardly notice any difference between using WiFi as i sit six feet from a router (AT&T DSL) and Verizon's 3G service...

    Perhaps i'm missing out on something, but to me, all those LTE-equipped phones i see people drooling over have such big screens that they don't fit comfortably in my hand... easy to drop. What good is a faster connection when the touchscreen glass is gone

    Sometimes i feel like i'm past the point when i wanted to own something for the sake of owning it... My desktop machine with a 22" screen is 5+ years old, it's fast but i never touch it anymore.. my HP Mini that i use every day i bought in the spring of '09... the Pre+ is from April of '10.. and i don't feel like trading them for anything else. Screw the market and all the advertisements.. i only buy something when i truly love it (or if i need it for work and nothing else will do)

    Edit:
    @laingman, How many drops? My Pre+ has survived five, and only the last time the screen glass cracked near the USB port. It only went 3.5mm deep before it stopped, so it hasn't affected performance anyhow. Sometimes i wonder how much stronger the curved glass of the Pre is versus the straight slabs of everything else...
    Last edited by Remy X; 11/01/2012 at 10:12 PM.
    laingman likes this.
  5. #25  
    I dropped pre- many times I forget. My pre2 two about six, tile floor and parking lot, slider closed and open. Its like magic.

    Now not so much, I have trained myself to never have my phone in my lap. And when I'm in the cars its always on the touchstone.
    Remy X likes this.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    C-note, I didn't want to quote your post, kinda long. But what is so poor about pre2 hardware. My pre2 after many drops is in much better shape (looks brand new actually) than 3 out of five galaxy devices around here with cracked screens after one drop.

    Lack of apps,yes. If one needs them
    Laingman,

    I love my Pre 2 (really wanted a Pre 3 with support, but that is a different issue). If Palm had come out with THAT phone first, or even better - a phone with the physical size of the Pre 3, this probably would have been a different ballgame. My comments were related to how they got themselves into this position.

    Not counting the partisan naysayers, I don't really recall many of the Tech press 'hating' on the Pre, many were almost too exuberant. The phrase 'iPhone killer' started with them. But the physical flaws of the device were too much to overcome the promise of an innovative and slick OS.

    (Most only get one chance to make a first impression, they had two chances)

    I suspect that in a few years a variant of web based OS model will become commonplace and it will be said that webOS was ahead of its time. I suspect that even the big players now will move in that direction to some degree. Hence the discussion about the DNA of webOS living on no matter what happens to the OS itself.

    And apps do matter. Not 500,000 apps, but at least the main categories need to be covered. I've stood in a Verizon store and watched salesmen sell people away from the Pre by showing an app on an Android and telling a potential customer that "the Pre will not do that" -even if it could be done via homebrew. The sales people were lazy perhaps, but they will always gravitate to the quick and easy sale. Makes no sense for them to do otherwise.

    C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    So why couldn't you just have two different email apps open and switch back and forth?
    I shouldn't have to do that.

    If i did, my feeble 256 MB of RAM would compel iOS to close the other "running" app, either losing my email or the one I was reading.
    HP Think Beyond Event - http://youtu.be/VnjwG7Z8AM8
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4
    > Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X
    My Palm OS Archive
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    I shouldn't have to do that.

    If i did, my feeble 256 MB of RAM would compel iOS to close the other "running" app, either losing my email or the one I was reading.
    First of all, I've never owned or used for that matter any iOS evice, so excuse my ignorance with how they work.

    Second, you didn't even mention what device you were talking about so I don't know how much RAM you have available.... and even if you did mention it, l probably still wouldn't know :-)

    I was simply offering what I thought would be a legitimate workaround and you tell me "I shouldn't have to do that."

    This strikes me as a bit of a double standard. Is not almost everything we do in webOS a workaround?


    .... and back to work....
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    The other guys appropriating features, is only "other guys appropriating features". They don't have the soul, they don't have the dedication that the engineers at Palm had or the Homebrew developers here have.
    You'd probably be interested in knowing that:

    1. A great deal of the Palm webOS engineers are at Google working on Android in very important positions
    2. The developer of the Notification system from webOS moved on to Apple where he's responsible for their notification overhaul
    3. A large number of Palm/HPers went to Nokia, and have been injecting various webOS ideas
    4. Our former esteemed Developer Relations guru is now at Mozilla, working on FirefoxOS's B2G app market.

    I think it's disrespectful to complain about how these companies don't have the soul when it's plain as hell to see that the soul is right there in front of you. Sure, these people have long moved on from Palm/HP, but by pitching a fit about the other OSes, you're essentially demeaning the work of a rather large number of the same people that spent significant parts of their professional lives creating the same webOS you love in the first place.

    And posts like I quoted are, quite frankly, sad to hear come out of this community whenever someone bashes any one of these OSes and complains about "stealing" ideas. It's rather simple: These people who brought you webOS in the first place took those (unpatented) ideas with them to live on more commercially-viable platforms by convincing those companies they were worth adopting. Just be glad these ideas get to live on in the first place, because history is littered with great ideas that didn't get that chance.

    Think hard about that next time you hear another platform adopt another great idea from webOS.

    I'm sorry, but people around here just have to grow up and get over it already. This is how the real world works, and complaining about it, scheming about possible lawsuits HP should file like some do around here, and/or discussing whether another platform is "pure enough" for you is distracting from the goal of the Open webOS Project and furthering the platform you still have.
    Last edited by dignitary; 11/02/2012 at 11:39 PM.
  10. #30  
    I don't like the video I watched on the verge where Duarte was pretending that they just invented Skype and touchstone. At least they could give credit and say they improved it.

    In literature they have something called plagiarism. Same thing if you ask me
    Remy X likes this.
  11. #31  
    Duarte didn't sound a bit like they invented Skype (a Microsoft-owned company now, no less). I don't know where you really get off saying that. And of course they're not going to advertise another OS as the inspiration for a new product. Are you kidding?

    Sometimes I get the impression that you folks are looking a bit too deeply into things to complain about rather than seeing the forest for the trees.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    [snip]
    3. A large number of Palm/HPers went to Nokia, and have been injecting various webOS ideas
    [/snip].
    Yeah. And Nokia went with Windows Phone. But i have a Nokia N900 running Maemo. Nice little phone, very webOS-like even before Palm guys' involvement. Different ecosystem, same problem... not enough developer support, the OS doesn't sell phones and it's a shame, because i love the N900 as much as my Pre+

    Now, i take your other points, but i don't have to live them. I stand by my words. The team has scattered, that it true, but it doesn't suddenly make me love the webOS competitors. The competitors, their boards and shareholders want webOS to die completely, you want be to move on and forget. Tough luck. I'll be one of the last people standing.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Duarte didn't sound a bit like they invented Skype (a Microsoft-owned company now, no less). I don't know where you really get off saying that. And of course they're not going to advertise another OS as the inspiration for a new product. Are you kidding?

    Sometimes I get the impression that you folks are looking a bit too deeply into things to complain about rather than seeing the forest for the trees.
    We must not be referring to the same video:

    You right tho, it wasn't Duarte showing off swype it was the other guy. But it sure was Duarte busting out their "new" inductive charging technology developed by LG's amazing hardware prowess and vision and gettin laughed at by the verge crew.

    Edit: Ok, I see now that I had a typo and said skype instead of swype. I knew no one could watch that video and not come away with the idea that these google guys are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. Props to the verge for calling them out on both swype and the orb. Really dont know why they were so surprised, Josh does this all the time. Very funny, I enjoyed that
    Last edited by laingman; 11/03/2012 at 08:08 AM.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    [snip]
    [...] scheming about possible lawsuits HP should file like some do around here, and/or discussing whether another platform is "pure enough" for you is distracting from the goal of the Open webOS Project and furthering the platform you still have.
    [/snip]
    If you replace the word HP with Zippo, you will get a slightly different picture. Zippo does go and sue the makers of poor quality clones. They are pretty diligent about that.

    And since HP still owns all the IP they inherited from Palm, everyone knows that copying webOS in its entirety all at once will bring about a lawsuit. That's not my scheming that's reality, and Google does not want to bring that onto themselves. Patents are one thing, but even unpatented, trademark design often carries almost as much weight in court.

    Ever wondered why the shameless hardware pirates from China can't go and freely sell their product in the US?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    First of all, I've never owned or used for that matter any iOS evice, so excuse my ignorance with how they work.

    Second, you didn't even mention what device you were talking about so I don't know how much RAM you have available.... and even if you did mention it, l probably still wouldn't know :-)

    I was simply offering what I thought would be a legitimate workaround and you tell me "I shouldn't have to do that."

    This strikes me as a bit of a double standard. Is not almost everything we do in webOS a workaround?


    .... and back to work....
    Yea, you do have a point there. I have the second class iPod touch, so it's less endowed than the iPhone. Anyways, using two different email apps strikes me as rather much, but I can see it working. In webOS? A lot, but not all is a workaround xD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions