Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes
  1.    #1  
    Recap: There was an article that was published on 'The New york Times' that caused quite a bit of stir amongst blackberry users and their allegedly shame on carrying one of the smartphones. One of the writers at that publication wrote an lengthy article mentioning about the old blackberry phone that she was using and her shame of carrying it and using it publicly at her own parties/meetings/gatherings. She even mentions hiding her phone behind an Apple iPad tablet because of fear of being mocked by co-workers/clients.

This topic(which I'm about to write) might seem a little silly to many of WebOS forum members, but I was intrigued to know the opinion of many users of WebOS about the article published in the NYT. In my opinion, its one of the stupidest article ever written in such a publication like the New York Times....I don't even understand on the reason of someone feeling shame because of cellphone you are carrying, for me I'm proud of experiencing WebOS and its lines of phones like the Palm Pixi and now my current phone the "Palm Pre 2". I think that the only shame that I ever feel about WebOS will be that it was bought by HP, even the name of HP causes me anger and disgust . I feel shame about the incompetence with HP board of directors and CEO Mrs Whitman. Anyways, I'm going to be saving my rant and hatred for later about HP....let's continue with the post shall we ?

So in the context about the shame of an blackberry phones, just image that the subject was directed at users who were carrying an old WebOS phones like the Pre/Pixi/Veer. So the question will be focused on, Do you think that any regular user should ever feel the need to be embarrassed or shameful when using a Palm Phone/blackberry in public ? And do you feel envy when seeing users carrying an Android device or iPhone with their thousands of apps ?
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/22/2012 at 02:27 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    The day I feel "shame" about and/or feel 'judged' for any phone I ever carry, is the day I really need to get therapy.
    Sure, it doesn't have the awesomeness a certain logo can convey.
    Most people shouldn't care what the guy next to them uses.

I personally enjoy it's unique-ness, as opposed to the iPod touch I also tote.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    its a crying shame when Fashion meets Technology, or feeling the need to "keep up" and "stay trendy", i wouldnt mock anyones device provided it did what they wanted and they had no issues with it.

I see far too many people at work get the latest and greatest yet they dont do much with them except what everyone can do on nearly any device nowadays anyways, browsing/emails etc, after that most of them just default to playing various novelty games in the end.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    jcmarcos likes this.
    Smartphones are just the latest way for the average person to waste too much time and attention on things that are not important. Fad/fashion/whatever. There are VERY few apps that I use regularly that did not come pre-installed. The main one being my password vault, and the Keyring open source app does the job perfectly. I wield my Pre with pride!
    kataran and jcmarcos like this.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I think this article is interesting if very damaging to RIM. I have taken out my Pre 2 along side with my iphone 4 (I don't pay for the iphone - it's provided by medical market research firm, but I digress) and people are intrigued by the Pre 2. (I had Pre + before that). I see a few former webos users who recognize Pre design and others are intrigued because everything else is slab phone. So it is a slightly positive, if confused attention that I get. Webos phones have looked sleek even if execution of design was imperfect..
    Blackberries are becoming synomonous with obsolete. To some degree it is deserved since rim has kept a antique UI, and a marginal browser compared to the iphones and androids. BB hardware advancement was barely incremental. Maybe near death will make next RIM phones competitive or not. There are still some advantages of BB including IM and greater security but consumers don't care. Even laypeople know how BB phones have dropped in popularity. WebOS is so invisible that most people never knew it existed!
    Will be interesting to see if rim pulls itself out of the grave.
    yeah.. Webos doesn't really get to have a comeback, cause it never really existed to most people in the first place!

I get questions about my pre2 occasionally. I think it does remind people that not all phones have to be the same. Mostly confused looks though, lol.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Makes me wonder what people's reactions to the TouchPad are. Someone that I was walking with noticed I had a TouchPad, and was not confused by it. Outside of that, I think most people confused it with an iPad.
    Big deal... Whether it's an OG Pre or a brand new Iphone, you didn't make the damn thing, you bought it. All your phone says about you is that you once had $200.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I bought a Pre 2 off of Dailysteals.com when they were 79$ and was using it as my main phone and a co-worker walks up to me while I'm using it and asks "is that the new latest phone on the market?" . I thought it was pretty funny..I simply stated that It was and the Pre will be taking over the smartphone market soon.... A guy can dream right?
    Last edited by jkromero; 10/23/2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: spelling correction.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    While feeling ashamed is a step too far it is true that in many first world nations (emerging markets are different), blackberry has an image problem - it used to be that once upon a time in the UK if you thought of someone who used a BB you'd think of a successful business person. Now the image that comes to mind is a crack dealer,rioters stealing shoes or a teenaged girl who has one not because they want a BB but because that was the cheapest option to chat.
    It is kind of funny to see the Apple iPhone image turn into one of a grandma at least that's what it is to me.
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    I wave my phone in my Android and iPhone friends' face all the time. F the mainstream police.
    jcmarcos likes this.
    I'm proud with my Pre 3... everybody around try to discover what is the model, and how is so interesting gests with only one hand...

In an "IPhroid" world, I'm thinking out the box!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    sounds like low self esteem ...isn't that why some people buy the iPhone in the first place ?
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    jcmarcos likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    While feeling ashamed is a step too far it is true that in many first world nations (emerging markets are different), blackberry has an image problem - it used to be that once upon a time in the UK if you thought of someone who used a BB you'd think of a successful business person. Now the image that comes to mind is a crack dealer,rioters stealing shoes or a teenaged girl who has one not because they want a BB but because that was the cheapest option to chat.
    i think their "image" only decreased somewhat with their 2 outages that got lots of tv/news time with the interviewed of the opinion that their brief outages was the prelude to the end of the world, and that to fix an issue that could happen to any company, they decided to swap to iphones/androids which ofc 100% ensures that never happens again, because those 2 are utterly accident-proof in every way. [/end-sarcasm-disbelief]
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    sounds like low self esteem..isn't that why some people buy the iPhone in the first place ?
    I doubt it. Most of the people.... read:all.... that I know with iPhones (or any other phone for that matter), don't have low self-esteem...

Maybe some do.... There's worse things out there that low self-esteemed people could buy.
    I actually wanted to get a Treo to use normally, but it doesn't work well nowadays. Email not the best no Wi-Fi, old apps and stuff...
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I'm proud with my Pre 3... everybody around try to discover what is the model, and how is so interesting gests with only one hand...

In an "IPhroid" world, I'm thinking out the box!

Best Regards...
    I know how you feel, I'm the only one at my school with a webOS Smartphone. They're all "What is that?"
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    As much as i miss webos i dont regret going android. Im the type of person who likes to have the latest & greatest. But no if a new webos device came i wouldnt be ashmed to own it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast