1.    #1  
    Can someone please explain the Pro's & Con's of the Pocket PC edition software vs. Palm software?

It seams to me that the PCPhone edition software is better, has more future proof features and is more versatile than the aged Palm OS....
    But Palm has been in the game longer, their OS is focused on the PDA environment and it has Tons of proven software....
    But runs slower compared to the PC edition phones (Comparing the Treo300 to just about anything)....
    But then again the PC phones are running faster CPUs ... I think.

I am confused and I am sure there are other just as confused users out there.
    Maybe a "STATIC" post should be placed to explain the specs. This would help future buyers decide which side of the fence to be on...
    In any case please X-plain...
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I think the first thing one has to point out is that a Treo or any phone-enabled Palm device is a PDA, but a Pocket PC Phone edition device is actually a tiny computer running Windows. Given that, one would expect the Pocket PC to be faster, more expandable, etc. It is. But, it is also heavier, bulkier and has less battery time, and really,almost no software. Take a look at the Ipaq 5455, HP's flagship device. It is fast, has Bluetooth, 802.11b, GSM/GPRS all built-in and doesn't need a headset to talk! What's the catch? It's expensive $799, huge, and hardly any software runs on it. Compare the Tiny Treo at $300-$400, with GSM/GPRS, that is tiny and has something like 6000 applications that run on it, many available for free! Even applications that aren't free, cost only $10-$30,vs. $30- $90 on the Pocket PC. So, it really depends on what one needs when making a decision about a device. Hope this helps. BTW, I love the HP5455, but it is too heavy and expensive for my needs at the moment.
    First off:

Treo is the only amazing system, and unfortunately it only runs on palm. Case closed. (er lid closed)

Pcphone runs on wince, which makes you want to wince cause it aint so good. Especially since Microsoft is coming out with a windows OS for pda's that really is windows and windows compatible, not just somethin that looks like windows. So basically all wince pda's will become obsolete.
  4.    #4  
    I'm still unclear?
    Doesn't MS write WINce? If so wouldn't they push this OS and try to dominate the market?
    I may be new to this but from what I see/read Palm OS has many of the same problems WIN-based product do. IE system lockups, incompatability, constant upgrades, corruption, can't remove, won't run, slows down the unit operations.....

I know that there is a group who feels Anything But MS! But as with desktops units; if you have the market share you have the market. MS is known for taking whats good from other OSs and incorporating it into their OS.
    So can one assume this will hold true with the Palm OS? Does or can Palm see the bright light of the future growing dim?

Don't get me wrong I love the Treo and it works for me. But before I jump to a new Treo 300 I want to be Future-Protected.

I guess I just want to know the bottom line on what the differences in the Palm OS vs the WINce
    Originally posted by z3bum
    [BBut, it is also heavier, bulkier and has less battery time, and really,almost no software. [/B]
    No software???
    Where did tyou get that from??

I know that there is some kind of cold war between Palm OS and Pocket PC users as there is between PC and Apple computers... but let's be honest:
    There are tons of Pocket PC software out there!

Have you been to Handango, pocket PC section (just to name one source), lately?
    I have used both the pocketpc and palm.
    In my opinion, palms, including clies are faster and have better programs. an average program for a palm uses 25 -100k of ram. a similar program for the pocket pc uses 500k to 1 meg of ram.
    An ipaq with an xcale 200mhz processor is very laggy, when opening an ebook from the memory card.
    comparatively, a t-665 with a 66mhz processor can access memory card e-book programs instantaneously(no lag).
    The biggest problems w/ pocket pc's( besides the bulk n the price) is that the os is inefficient so most programs are processor and memory hogs. but the ultra cheap dell axim's seems to be gaining popularity.
    Originally posted by lenman
    I'm still unclear?
    Doesn't MS write WINce? If so wouldn't they push this OS and try to dominate the market?
    Microsoft has been pushing WinCE for several years now, trying to dominate the market but they seem to have gotten stuck at a point where they have had 20-30% of the consumer market for years and never seem to do any better while PalmOS devices continue to dominate.

I may be new to this but from what I see/read Palm OS has many of the same problems WIN-based product do. IE system lockups, incompatability, constant upgrades, corruption, can't remove, won't run, slows down the unit operations.....

It's a matter of perspective. There is plenty of PalmOS software that was written for the original Palm Pilot that still runs on the latest version of the PalmOS with few or no incompatibilities. When WinCE 2.0 devices came out, they made all WinCE 1.0 software obsolete. When PocketPC (WinCE 3.0 with a new standardized shell) devices came out they made virtually all WinCE 2.0 software obsolete and there was also confusion because a couple of companies released WinCE 3.0 devices without the PocketPC shell which couldn't run PocketPC software. Generally speaking, both platforms have their problems but I think that they are managed more gracefully on the PalmOS platform than on WinCE/PocketPC.

I know that there is a group who feels Anything But MS! But as with desktops units; if you have the market share you have the market.

Right now, PalmOS devices have a significantly bigger market share but it's true that these things can change pretty quickly.

MS is known for taking whats good from other OSs and incorporating it into their OS. So can one assume this will hold true with the Palm OS? Does or can Palm see the bright light of the future growing dim?

A lot of people felt that Microsoft took a lot of good features from the PalmOS and incorporated them into their PocketPC devices. But with handhelds, there are a lot more compromises in terms of size and battery life versus features. Microsoft because of its desktop history tends to favor the latter over the former and that hurts them in the handheld world.

Don't get me wrong I love the Treo and it works for me. But before I jump to a new Treo 300 I want to be Future-Protected.
    What does "Future-Protected" mean? Are you afraid that Palm and Handspring will go out of business? Do you believe that something will happen in the future that will render PalmOS devices useless? Perhaps you should begin by asking yourself how you use your handheld right now and what features of the two platforms you can and cannot live without.

I guess I just want to know the bottom line on what the differences in the Palm OS vs the WINce
    The bottom line is that WinCE devices will probably always be pushing the envelope in terms of features and hardware while PalmOS devices will always tend to be more usable in terms of size, speed, and battery life.
    darth republican? that's the most frightening thing i've ever seen! an invincible politician with magic powers! run for it!!
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.