View Poll Results: Have you experienced this?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never.

3 75.00%
  • Yes! This happened to me. Exact problem.

1 25.00%
  • Similar problem. Different cause.

0 0%
  1.    #1  
    While I didn't make the connection initially, I am now of the opinion that the Treo Belt Clip by HandSpring (the hardshell plastic carrier) positively DAMAGED a series of Treo 180's.

Here's a summary: A brand new Treo started having trouble with the wireless mode. Most often, the Wireless Mode would TURN ITSELF OFF. Just sitting there, untouched, and in a strong signal area. Turning it back on by pressing the button would usually restore the service, but not always. It grew worse, to the point that the Treo couldn't/wouldn't read the SIM, at least not w/o a few retries. Ab error message dvised me it might be bad or missing. Turning the Wireless Mode off, manually, USUALLY would allow the card to be read. But, once, the Treo turned itself off by itself 5 times in 30 minutes. Whew. Then it would go for 24 hours w/o a hitch. Then back to problems. OK, so I got the SIM replaced. Same problem, and NO PROBLEM reading either SIM in my Nokia 5190.

HandSpring confirmed there was a problem, but were clueless as to the cause, and have cheerfully shipped me a total of four(4) new Treos. All worked fine when I got them, but then quickly developed the *identical* problems as noted above. All were used exclusively in the Treo Belt Clip Case from HandSpring.

Then, happy coincidence, the belt clip on my Treo Belt Clip fell apart. I then reverted to my Krussel case, and ordered a Phoneholdic from Krussel to attach to the broken HandSpring holder. It also happened that the clip broke just as I received a new Treo, so it didn't get put into the holder of concern, only in the Krussel.

Guess what? No problems. None.

I then examined the Treo Belt Clip. I noted very substantial rubbing inside the holder, at the friction point where the back of the Treo slides against the inside of the case when the Treo is inserted or removed. Further examination reveals that the pressure point on the Treo itself is right on the SIM cover. And, then I recall that the covers of the faulty Treo's all showed substantial wear right at this point.

The amount of pressure exerted on the SIM cover is not small. I didn't use any measurement instruments, but I'd estimate it to be somewhere between 1 and 2 ft-pounds. Estimate. Enough, over time, to damage the delicate SIM reader which is of course right under the SIM holder. I conclude, provisionally, that the HandSpring case is the cause of this problem.

Anyone else encounter anything similar?
    I too had the same problem, however I do find it hard to believe that the holster would have been the cause!
    I did experience everything you mentioned but after HS replaced my first treo with this problem, the replacement did the same thing and I went to Cingular and got a new SIM card and have never had the problem since!
    This problem is not only for the treo 180 or 270 alone it also includes the treo 300. My brother has the treo belt clip and when ever the treo would ring while in the treo holster it would produce a fatal error. Another test he did was to see if the light would turn on while it was it the holster and to his suprise the light didn't turn on but once he took it out of the holster it work fine. There was also extreme rubbing marks in the back of it. I also have a treo 300 and the clips works fine for me, but I believe my treo is from a second batch of treos. MY question is why would hanspring make a belt clipf or it's own product and it is scraping aways most of the paint on the back of the phone, my esn number is almost scratched away.
  4.    #4  
    Well, thanks. I was beginning to wonder if I had made this up.

Not being familar with the Treo 300, I have to ask: does this even use a SIM card?

As far as WHY...just a bad design, in my opinion, but I'm not sure that HandSpring is aware of the issue.

Originally posted by Bagbklyn
    >it also includes the treo 300
    >
    > why would hanspring make a belt clipf or it's own product and it
    > is scraping aways most of the paint on the back of the phone,
    > my esn number is almost scratched away.
    The sprint treo 300 doesn't use a sim card so I am guessing it is the same area that is faulty on the treos, I believe that is another way someone can tell if they have a bad treo from the first batch.
  6.    #6  
    Hmmm...you are suggesting, are you not, that the entire line has been plagued with a manufacturing defect which is evident ONLY if the device is used with a Treo Belt Clip by HandSpring, or (presumably) in other situations where repetitive, significant pressure is applied to the back of the device at the area corresponding to the SIM Card cover on the 180/270, even though the electronics underlying this area on the 300 would be other than a SIM Card reader?

The sprint treo 300 doesn't use a sim card so I am guessing it is the same area that is faulty on the treos, I believe that is another way someone can tell if they have a bad treo from the first batch.
    Originally posted by Michael_L
    Hmmm...you are suggesting, are you not, that the entire line has been plagued with a manufacturing defect which is evident ONLY if the device is used with a Treo Belt Clip by HandSpring, or (presumably) in other situations where repetitive, significant pressure is applied to the back of the device at the area corresponding to the SIM Card cover on the 180/270, even though the electronics underlying this area on the 300 would be other than a SIM Card reader?

Yes that is correct I don't know about the 180/270 but on the treo 300 there has been two batches of phones. My brother has a treo and he has issues that I have never seen and we both have the same programs running. The only difference in his, is that his antenna doesn't unscrew and when he put the treo belt clip on the treo starts doing funky stuff. So I believe his is from the first batch and mine is from the second. Where as for me nothing happens.
  8.    #8  
    So you ARE still using the Treo Belt Clip from HandSpring, and w/o problems now? Thanks for the clarification.

When he put the treo belt clip on the treo starts doing funky stuff. So I believe his is from the first batch and mine is from the second. Where as for me nothing happens.
    Actually seido is selling the belt holster that is a perfect replacement of what handspring should have made. Seidio
  10.    #10  
    I've seen the Seidio description. Did you have trouble with the Seido, or the HandSpring holster, or BOTH?

Actually seido is selling the belt holster that is a perfect replacement of what handspring should have made. Seidio
    Yes I did have trouble with them but when they finally came through. They gave me 2 extra belt clips for my troubles. And it works fine. Actually now I use group of accesories Belking car holder and also Belkin Leather Case . IT take some getting use to but I love it.
  12.    #12  
    Sorry to be dense, here. You had trouble w the Seido, or the HandSpring case? I'm mainly interested in trouble which could be reasonably attributed to the pressure caused by the HandSpring case, unless the Seido caused the same problem, for the same reason: pressure on the back of the Treo.

Thanks.

Yes I did have trouble with them but when they finally came through. They gave me 2 extra belt clips for my troubles. And it works fine. Actually now I use group of accesories Belking car holder and also Belkin Leather Case . IT take some getting use to but I love it.