Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Today, those stupid people from the HP company announced their new set of laptops and hybrid tablet with Windows 8 support. They released this new set of HP Envy X2 which has an hybrid built that it act like a tablet and a computer at the same time with an thin aluminum body(taking cues from Apple's Air laptop). The tablet also features back 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, with front-facing camera it also comes with.Beats Audio, NFC, and an optional stylus. HP attention to quality to this piece of tablet with Windows 8, why didn't they did the same thing for WebOS ?

    Now we look at the failure product that HP launched last year with the WebOS TouchPad, cheaply built plastic body which had many flaws causing cracks within months of usage. A design that it not speak clearly of what WebOS represented, an operating system that trumps many other OS with its excellent card multitasking ability, synergy, and among other features. Now its curious to see HP come once again creating this devices/tablets and when it comes to trying again on building tablets that packs WebOS operating system.....they simply don't care at all ?

    Don't they know(those jerks at HP), that HP TouchPad failed in the market not because it runs on WebOS operating system. It was simply because of their own stupidity and cheap use of marketing ? Not to mention the thickness of the device and heaviness of it which was HP's own fault for its failure on the market. Come on Mrs. Whitman have brain for once in your life and bring back WebOS to the market, but this time do it right and rationally with a bit of common sense mixed into it PLS You silly HP
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 08/30/2012 at 01:09 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  2. #2  
    While the Touchpad hardware was certainly flawed, its not the reason for failure. Few people will pass on an iPad for another tablet with the same exact same price.

    If HP wanted $500 for a tablet, it not only had to be better, it had to be in a league of its own. Regrettably the TP was not, flawed hardware, too many bugs in WebOS and a very small developer base.

    Without a price subsidy on the TP to grow a user it base, the TP was destined to fail. If HP release new WebOS hardware today, it would fail as I don't many developers around and WebOS still needs much more work.
  3. #3  
    It certainly didn't fail solely on the reasons of cracks in the plastic....and being too heavy. Mine's cracked, it's in a case....I don't even think about them until I read about other people's comments about it....to be brutally honest. As for the "weight".....some people out there need to seriously drink a glass of milk and man up.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
    While the Touchpad hardware was certainly flawed, its not the reason for failure. Few people will pass on an iPad for another tablet with the same exact same price.

    If HP wanted $500 for a tablet, it not only had to be better, it had to be in a league of its own. Regrettably the TP was not, flawed hardware, too many bugs in WebOS and a very small developer base.

    Without a price subsidy on the TP to grow a user it base, the TP was destined to fail. If HP release new WebOS hardware today, it would fail as I don't many developers around and WebOS still needs much more work.
    While you may be correct in some things of what you just had said, I think that the inferior built quality of the HP TouchPad have at least a huge blame for its failure. If you pay close attention, to all the reviews of the TouchPad device everyone smashes(meaning criticizes) the design of the plastic built of the TouchPad with its finger-print magnet back. Many tech blog writers spent about an entire paragraph hating the heavier plastic exterior of the HP tablet, while not much was talked about the WebOS operating system and its functionality. So its obvious that the design of the failed product of HP TouchPad, was in there deep in their thoughts at the time of writing.

    Then after it comes the WebOS operating system, which in its early beginnings of the WebOS v3.0 had some serious flaws built into it (some slowness when switching to card view, slow at launching apps, among others) , that those stupid people of HP allowed this mistakes of rushing things into the market to cause this fiasco to happened. Which I'm sure that (if combining both the hardware and buggy OS) it had a impact on the purchasing decision of many potential customers that were looking to upgrade their old devices or first buyers on a new tablet.

    Anyways besides those facts that have been talked to death of the reasons of the HP TouchPad's many failures to attract any market share. What I'm simply trying to say is, that if anyone looks at the photographs of the new hybrid tablet of HP with its aluminum high built-quality....it makes you wander on the why HP could not have done the same thing for the HP TouchPad ? Why not spend money into building a high quality tablet like the "HP Envy X2" but that runs on WebOS? I think that if the device would had a better built quality than the plastic hardware, I'm sure the sales could have fared better. One thing that its hard for me to comprehend, on Why HP continues to treat this WebOS operating system like a third-class citizen, specially since HP have demonstrated their poor(or lack there is) of commitment to this Open Source Project ? If HP would had been more committed to WebOS (not only with investing into more OS updates but on hardware as well), I'm sure that this OS operating system could a had fighting chance for a second place in the market share with Google's Android.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 08/30/2012 at 11:40 PM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  5. #5  
    Yawn. Sorry dude, but change the record. We all love webOS here but I find the constant name calling of hp immature and childish. If you are such a hater, start a blog.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Rnp likes this.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Many tech blog writers spent about an entire paragraph hating the heavier plastic exterior of the HP tablet.
    Plastic is not heavier than metal...
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
  7. #7  
    "specially since HP have demonstrated their poor(or lack there is) of commitment to this Open Source Project"

    to my knowledge all published deadlines on the openwebos project have been met. If you're going to make sweeping accusations I hope you have some concrete examples to back them up.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Garrett92C, Rnp and retroblu like this.
  8. #8  
    My simple message to you is, get out of the game. Get rid of ALL your webOS devices, sell all of your accessories, wipe the thought of HP and webOS from you mind. Don't visit this site, or any other webOS site, ever, ever again.
    Find something else to fixate on. Not webOS, not even HP.
    Adios, arrivederci, Sayonara
    Rnp likes this.
  9. #9  
    My simple message to you is, get out of the game. Get rid of ALL your webOS devices, sell all of your accessories, wipe the thought of HP and webOS from you mind. Don't visit this site, or any other webOS site, ever, ever again.
    Find something else to fixate on. Not webOS, not even HP.
    Adios, arrivederci, Sayonara
    thanks for your insightful contribution to the community. I prefer to simply wipe the memory of your post from my mind. Post? What, where am I? Oh, thank god..there's my touchpad. Phew.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  10. #10  
    I suspect that was not aimed at you.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    sledge007 likes this.
  11. #11  
    Probably not but it was fun to reply ;-)
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  12. #12  
    i dont know why there are people who so forcefully MUST goto another ecosystem, i now have a tablet for android and ios and while different from each other and webOS i dont see the attraction, great theres more apps but after deliberatly trying to get all these supposed wonderful apps i dont see them, and if i do find something useful it tends to be full of crap/ads/spam most often without a fully paid variant.

    if one of the more enlightened people no longer using webOS could tell me exactly what IS so much better maybe id have a better idea of what they mean.

    because atm its just games, games, games, games that the other 2 have advantage wise and little else, the only things i have on the other 2 devices that i cant do on webOS is watching tv, using netflix and a choice of a heap of games which i tend to play once or twice and forget about.

    what am i missing?
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    grasshoper likes this.
  13. #13  
    I think the other thing to keep in mind is that HP is showing off these devices a year later. Last year the Droid Charge was considered a big and bulky phone with just a 4.3 inch screen. Now we have the S3 with a 4.8 screen and its so much thinner and lighter than the Charge. Time definitely plays a factor not only in what resources are available, but also to how much time you actually have to work on the product. If I'm not mistaken the touchpad was pretty much put together in less than 9 months with basically a new team working on a new product. The other thing to keep in mind is these new devices are tablet/laptop hybrids, not strictly one or the other.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    Yawn. Sorry dude, but change the record. We all love webOS here but I find the constant name calling of hp immature and childish. If you are such a hater, start a blog.
    Well, I'm sorry Steve_Farkas that you not very fond of my opinion about HP. It might be a bit childish to some, but for me not so much at all (there are far worse things that could be spoken about that stupid company HP that, its still a mystery why it still does exist). We all know that time can't be turned back, that we have to admit that HP TouchPad was cancelled (its all history now) and times moves on yada-yada-yada. However, I still think that many people wanders about this kind of things when they see(built-quality) the hybrid tablet Envy that runs on Windows 8 vs the cheap tablet that HP delivered.


    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    "specially since HP have demonstrated their poor(or lack there is) of commitment to this Open Source Project"

    to my knowledge all published deadlines on the openwebos project have been met. If you're going to make sweeping accusations I hope you have some concrete examples to back them up.
    Well, thanks again for pointing the obvious about these deadlines of the (not so bright future) Open Source project....like we haven't seen or read about them. Due with all respect, I was referring about the lack commitment of HP towards WebOS as of late. And with the word of "lack of commitment" meaning, the way HP has been handling the WebOS unit with massive lay-offs of employees and limited resources. NYT articles clearly states the state that WebOS had suffered at the hands of HP, employee leaving to other companies and leaving the team of the WebOS unit with less than 250 people working in the projects. Not to mention, the lack of future hardware support from HP and leaving hundreds of TouchPad owners in the dust. Now that really spell any kind of commitment from HP, right ?

    While some say or claim, its HP doing this effort of focusing on the future of WebOS will have better results for WebOS going forward....I don't fully trust HP simply because they have said that too many times before and nothing has happened. For me its a simple matter of seeing is believing....Let's hope that whatever that have for the WebOS community this month of Sept. promises at least some hope for the operating system has a chance of surviving this market that seems to be full of stronger competitors like Android, iOS, soon Windows 8 and Blackberry OS 10.
    Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 09/02/2012 at 12:54 AM.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  15. #15  
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  16. #16  
    i dont know why there are people who so forcefully MUST goto another ecosystem, i now have a tablet for android and ios and while different from each other and webOS i dont see the attraction, great theres more apps but after deliberatly trying to get all these supposed wonderful apps i dont see them, and if i do find something useful it tends to be full of crap/ads/spam most often without a fully paid variant.

    if one of the more enlightened people no longer using webOS could tell me exactly what IS so much better maybe id have a better idea of what they mean.

    because atm its just games, games, games, games that the other 2 have advantage wise and little else, the only things i have on the other 2 devices that i cant do on webOS is watching tv, using netflix and a choice of a heap of games which i tend to play once or twice and forget about.

    what am i missing?
    I can't help but say that I totally agree with that. I have cm9 installed on my touchpad, and while I liked all the choices in the app store in the first place, I found that the apps I used most had much better equivalent on webos already, and other useful apps had ads everywhere or crappy UI. And lot of restrictions with apps not available on some devices or only available with a subscription (not always paid ones, but it's still a pain).

    But most of all, android has a badly thought ecosystem, and is not a pleasure at all to use on an everyday basis. Webos is, even more with LunaCE installed.

    The mere reason for the Touchpad failure in my opinion was its price and lack of apps. But mostly its price, which should have been around the one of a kindle fire or the like.

    I also thought that the Touchpad's design left much to be desired, and that a Transformer pad or sony's tablet have much much more appeal, but you forget about this most of the time. It's more a question of ego where you say to yourself 'others may have more beautiful tablets than mine, I wish I had one'. But once I'm inside webos I say to myself 'but they have to deal with ugly ecosystems and ads powered apps'.

    Ads, is something we don't see here, and that is something I *love* in webos. We buy a few quality apps and that is what we get. Plus, we have LunaCE (Am I repeating myself??).
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    geekpeter likes this.
  17. #17  
    the touchpad does idd "seem" chunkier than the other variants but i can forgive it quite easily, plus theres the touchstone tech to think of, another plus to its name, the weight was never an issue because im not a wimp, even then were talking about a silly small difference.

    then theres the apps/the fact the hardware was dumped/had no love for ages till we got open webos, lunaCE and whatever else may come our way, youd hear people talk as if the device was utterly useless and because of previous facts and happenings that the device was some form of useless brick.

    I thought the exact same thing when you saw heaps of android users "suddenly" claiming their android devices were worthless when samsung got that nasty 1bil kick in the face from apple, suddenly theres a heap of people stating "well i MUST buy an apple or better yet windows device now".

    i dont get "why?", webOS works, does its thing even tho its "dead hardware", my pre3 still makes phone calls, browses the web, plays music/radio/sat nav, same for android users, yeah samsung got stung but their devices are no different to our webOS ones, they still work, will do tomorrow and the day after. There isnt some godlike power who after recieving some bad news goes "ok well thats the end of that then" and pulls the plug on all those devices abilities, they dont just stop working overnight.

    /end confused rant
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    Well, I'm sorry Steve_Farkas that you not very fond of my opinion about HP.
    my username is steven_farkas. Please note the N. A small thing, but if you're going to address someone by name the least you can do is get it right.

    It might be a bit childish to some, but for me not so much at all
    So you think name calling for over 12 months isn't childish? Well then we certainly disagree here.

    (there are far worse things that could be spoken about that stupid company HP that, its still a mystery why it still does exist).
    it exists because its focus has been (and has been for some time..whether you want to admit it or not) is in Print and enterprise hardware and software. To the tune of $125bn in revenue.

    Hewlett-Packard Company 2011 Annual Report

    We all know that time can't be turned back, that we have to admit that HP TouchPad was cancelled (its all history now) and times moves on yada-yada-yada. However, I still think that many people wanders about this kind of things when they see(built-quality) the hybrid tablet Envy that runs on Windows 8 vs the cheap tablet that HP delivered.
    I haven't seen many other threads about this, so anecdotally it seems to be only you that holds on to this bitterness. In fact even the headline article on this site didn't include any reference to webos

    HP 'Slate 8' Windows 8 tablet comes out as the Envy x2 | webOS Nation

    Well, thanks again for pointing the obvious about these deadlines of the (not so bright future) Open Source project....like we haven't seen or read about them.
    You're welcome. hopefully this time you'll take the information in and not mention it in future posts.

    Due with all respect, I was referring about the lack commitment of HP towards WebOS as of late. And with the word of "lack of commitment" meaning, the way HP has been handling the WebOS unit with massive lay-offs of employees and limited resources.
    how do you define "as of late" then? The last round of layoffs in the webos division was in Feb 2012, or 7 months ago. In direct opposition to your assertion, the webos division was actually advertising for jobs in May of this year. Last time i checked Feb was "later" than May from September. Here's the links if you don't believe me

    HP looking to hire more webOS team members | webOS Nation

    http://www.techi.com/2012/02/does-27...of-hp-tablets/

    NYT articles clearly states the state that WebOS had suffered at the hands of HP, employee leaving to other companies and leaving the team of the WebOS unit with less than 250 people working in the projects.
    That article also highlights the release of the openwebos beta which in my mind is a positive news story.

    How Is H.P.'s WebOS Doing? Hundreds No Longer Work on It - NYTimes.com

    Not to mention, the lack of future hardware support from HP and leaving hundreds of TouchPad owners in the dust. Now that really spell any kind of commitment from HP, right ?
    No, and I actually agree with you here, and I think they thought LunaCE would be some sort of compensation for this news and also knowing the fantastic webos community will get it working on legacy devices anyway. But still, a definite kick in the teeth.

    While some say or claim, its HP doing this effort of focusing on the future of WebOS will have better results for WebOS going forward....I don't fully trust HP
    don't you mean stupid HP?

    simply because they have said that too many times before and nothing has happened.
    except for the open webos project timeline of course right? I think we can now agree that HP have delivered what they said they would.

    For me its a simple matter of seeing is believing....Let's hope that whatever that have for the WebOS community this month of Sept. promises at least some hope for the operating system has a chance of surviving this market that seems to be full of stronger competitors like Android, iOS, soon Windows 8 and Blackberry OS 10.
    Thats all well and good, and if you're posts were more about this final sentiment and not name calling and going over old ground for the 500th time then maybe they would taken more seriously.
    Last edited by steven_farkas; 09/03/2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    you'd hear people talk as if the device was utterly useless and because of previous facts and happenings that the device was some form of useless brick.
    Thinking about the words you just had said: the device was utterly useless and because of previous facts and happenings that the device was some form of useless brick.

    Its not that the HP TouchPad is mostly useless(sometimes), but its OS is getting old. Let me explain a bit more, let's start by describing the stock OS web-browser, which many sometimes could be said about its poor performance and annoying loading page errors. And let's not forgot, about the out-dated flash player which still runs on the older version instead of the newer one: Flash Player 11.2.

    And then other things of WebOS needs to be updated as well. I always wanted see on the OS messaging application video support for Google Talk/Yahoo/MSN Live. Yet. that never is going to happen....sadly thanks to those stupid running HP.

    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    i don't get "why?", webOS works, does its thing even tho its "dead hardware", my pre3 still makes phone calls, browses the web, plays music/radio/Sat Nav, same for android users, yeah Samsung got stung but their devices are no different to our webOS ones, they still work, will do tomorrow and the day after. There isn't some godlike power who after receiving some bad news goes "ok well that's the end of that then" and pulls the plug on all those devices abilities, they don't just stop working overnight.

    /end confused rant
    Certainly agree geekpeter, our devices still works without any hiccups or errors at all. My palm devices still does everything on what the WebOS team promised its users that it will do with OS 2.0/3.0. My Palm pre 2, still works like it was intended too (its great little phone)...it makes calls, emails, music as much as any other smartphone in the market does. However, we can not simply deny the 'facts' that as Android and iOS continues to bring new updates to their mobile operating that WebOS doesn't start to look its age.

    It's really important that users could still see in a mobile operating system that keeps getting more powerful, versatile and feature-packed on every update of the OS. Yet we can't speak of that on the recent developments of the WebOS, which it gets further behind as other competitors like the android and iOS gets more features on every new version that the company releases. Let's take for example Android OS, no matter how many say its crappy and useless apps. Google has done a great work on its basic core services like renting movie/music/cloud services that is offered as part of the android experience. So when comparing that to WebOS, we could agree that this great OS needs a bit of catching up to do....

    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    my username is steven_farkas. Please note the N. A small thing, but if you're going to address someone by name the least you can do is get it right.
    My sincere apology to you Steven_Farkas, didn't noticed my error until you corrected in your post. It was not my intention to misspell your username....

    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    So you think name calling for over 12 months isn't childish? Well then we certainly disagree here.

    it exists because its focus has been (and has been for some time..whether you want to admit it or not) is in Print and enterprise hardware and software. To the tune of $125bn in revenue.

    Hewlett-Packard Company 2011 Annual Report
    Well, being honest its a bit silly to a lot of people(to me too sometimes)....yet I guess its the only way for me to relieve some anger towards HP will be just name-calling them on every word that could found in the English dictionary. It's still impossible to believe on how HP stupidity caused them to miss a great opportunity with WebOS in the mobile market...

    While HP focusing on the enterprise business might be okay at the moment, but HP can't lay their backs pretending that on the printing and software business will make HP stay relevant. With the recent news that HP has been seeing huge money loss in the market, and their PC business is not that profitable as it once was.....HP needs to start thinking more efficiently/wisely about what the thing matters most "consumers" and mobile computing like tablets/phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    how do you define "as of late" then? The last round of layoffs in the webos division was in Feb 2012, or 7 months ago. In direct opposition to your assertion, the webos division was actually advertising for jobs in May of this year. Last time i checked Feb was "later" than May from September. Here's the links if you don't believe me

    HP looking to hire more webOS team members | webOS Nation

    http://www.techi.com/2012/02/does-275-webos-layoffs-mark-the-end-of-hp-tablets/


    That article also highlights the release of the openwebos beta which in my mind is a positive news story.

    How Is H.P.'s WebOS Doing? Hundreds No Longer Work on It - NYTimes.com
    While the layoffs might had been earlier this year, its still caused the damage to the WebOS team efforts in the long term. Within the article of the NYT, it clearly mention that it took a lot of time to release this Open Source project due to the limited people within the unit. All in all, you can't say that HP has been fully commitment only because of the deadlines...they still got to show us on their plans after dumping the codes to the Open Source community.

    And to the point about the hiring, how many positions we could say it has been filled ? Not much, besides the few interns that HP officially recognized on their own blogs. We hear more stories of people leaving HP than the people that are getting newly hired to work on WebOS.


    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    Quote:
    Not to mention, the lack of future hardware support from HP and leaving hundreds of TouchPad owners in the dust. Now that really spell any kind of commitment from HP, right ?

    No, and I actually agree with you here, and I think they thought LunaCE would be some sort of compensation for this news and also knowing the fantastic webos community will get it working on legacy devices anyway. But still, a definite kick in the teeth.
    Thanks for agreeing with me once at least.... I will say its more of a kick in the teeth, its an all complete betrayal to the WebOS community at large(seriously speaking). Many people were at least looking forward to this Open Source of WebOS, specially the features that some people at HP continues to talk about. Now, we have to depend on the WebOS hacker community to do the work that the lazy of HP couldn't do because of limited resources.

    While I like what the community has been doing lately with the community edition of WebOS 3.0.5, but still too far off to consider a viable future for our legacy devices.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  20. #20  
    The recent losses Hp announced also included a one 8bn writedown on the eds acquisition, so that should be taken into account when quoting numbers.

    My point about layoffs and new jobs was more to illustrate the ludicrousness of your "as of late" comment which you still haven't answered.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions