Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Of course... OldSkool is the exception to the rule around here.
    only school I know :-)
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Like the classy band on the Titanic that continued playing while the ship sank. [I]Gentlemen, it's been a priviledge...
    I'm hoping the HMS webOS doesn't sink. She is listing to one side right now. I hope she doesn't go completely under. However, if she does I would rather go out in class last that band did instead of jumping into the water and drowning like the rats. This community has stuck together through a lot over the past few years. Some of us have gone and come back, but our dedication to webOS and each other is has never faltered.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm hoping the HMS webOS doesn't sink. She is listing to one side right now. I hope she doesn't go completely under. However, if she does I would rather go out in class last that band did instead of jumping into the water and drowning like the rats. This community has stuck together through a lot over the past few years. Some of us have gone and come back, but our dedication to webOS and each other is has never faltered.

---Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities (a great webOS app!)
    Listing?
    The HMS webOS is nearly completely under. It's just a tiny community lifeboat and a far off HP nearby supporting it
    The secret of this and any other comunity is the moderators and administrator.

Without some leaders, any group gonna be lost.

Congratulations to that men and woman, that have this big and great work!

Best Regards...
    Last edited by Rnp; 08/13/2012 at 01:29 PM.
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I love how in your first post you talk about 'staying classy' and in your next you are dismissing 'the great unwashed'?

What's not classy about quoting 1830's novelist Edward Bulwer-Lytton?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    The secret of this and any other comunity is the moderators and administrator.

Without some leaders, any group gonna be lost.

Congratulations to that men, that have this big and great work!

Best Regards...
    And woman..... Don't forget Bev.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Rnp, bevcraw and HelloNNNewman like this.
    AndroidCentral definitely has to deal with a LOT more of the tweens and teens, which is a heck of a job (think: herding cats). Definitely a different maturity level to deal with on that front. With Open WebOS, we'll probably see more of the enthusiast type instead of the teens for some time to come. Pro's and Con's for that one.
    Isn't that odd how things have turned around? Not to date myself, but when I was coming up in those age groups we had to behave ourselves when participating in something along with adults, or we would catch hell for it and be shut out. Now it's adults who are being forced out by undisciplined kids.
    AndroidCentral definitely has to deal with a LOT more of the tweens and teens, which is a heck of a job (think: herding cats). Definitely a different maturity level to deal with on that front. With Open WebOS, we'll probably see more of the enthusiast type instead of the teens for some time to come. Pro's and Con's for that one.
    They deal with more tweens + teens because there's more people.

My tech teacher gave us a speech at the end of the first quarter last year about maturity levels.
    "It is end of first quarter. You should be at... 50% maturity level"
    He even had a graph on the board
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    And woman..... Don't forget Bev.
    Ooooopsss... sorry! My mistake!

"And woman"!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by astark View Post
    Like the classy band on the Titanic that continued playing while the ship sank. Gentlemen, it's been a priviledge...
    I think they (the band) took classiness to an higher level. I know I would have gotten the heck off of that sinking ship. Ahaha. K4
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    Are you really? I always applaud the work janitors do to keep places classy. Thank you sir! When ever I see a custodian cleaning, I always take my time to thank them for their work.
    Thanks, but I am no longer in the business...except at home sometimes! So I don't deserve your praise like so many others do.

When I was in college, I worked as a janitor and handyman at my Church. There were several of us (large church, big campus, several buildings, used by a local private school, a hundred kids to clean up after...etc.) that worked there...one professional janitor and about four junior ones (of which I was one). We even mowed the Cemetery...that was 'fun'...I don't know how good I was at being a janitor, but I tell you, it was a good activity for me...probably for anyone. If you ever think about criticizing someone's work, you should have some idea of what you are talking about. Until you've walked in someone's shoes, it's usually best to keep your opinions to yourself. I learned some humility by doing janitorial work. I learned that there is no reason to think better of myself than someone who is a janitor. The concept of doing quality work, helping others learn to do quality work, and appreciating someone else's quality work, is important.

If anyone demeans another's line of work, and they don't have experience doing that work...they really are demeaning their own level of awareness. I too applaud the janitors I interact with. At my church, which has gotten bigger and has even more janitors, I get to interact often. And I will take the time to pick up somebody else's mess, because I owe it to the janitors who work there. I am more mindful of my impact on their job, so I 'recycle' my messes as best I can to minimize what they have to clean up. Maybe I'm an enabler?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Soorma likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Thanks, but I am no longer in the business...except at home sometimes! So I don't deserve your praise like so many others do.

When I was in college, I worked as a janitor and handyman at my Church. There were several of us (large church, big campus, several buildings, used by a local private school, a hundred kids to clean up after...etc.) that worked there...one professional janitor and about four junior ones (of which I was one). We even mowed the Cemetery...that was 'fun'...I don't know how good I was at being a janitor, but I tell you, it was a good activity for me...probably for anyone. If you ever think about criticizing someone's work, you should have some idea of what you are talking about. Until you've walked in someone's shoes, it's usually best to keep your opinions to yourself. I learned some humility by doing janitorial work. I learned that there is no reason to think better of myself than someone who is a janitor. The concept of doing quality work, helping others learn to do quality work, and appreciating someone else's quality work, is important.

If anyone demeans another's line of work, and they don't have experience doing that work...they really are demeaning their own level of awareness. I too applaud the janitors I interact with. At my church, which has gotten bigger and has even more janitors, I get to interact often. And I will take the time to pick up somebody else's mess, because I owe it to the janitors who work there. I am more mindful of my impact on their job, so I 'recycle' my messes as best I can to minimize what they have to clean up. Maybe I'm an enabler?
    neat! I don't know about you but mowing the cemetery would send chills down my spine later. I have seen too many scary movies

You're not only a peacekeeper, you're a cleankeeper too haha
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    neat! I don't know about you but mowing the cemetery would send chills down my spine later. I have seen too many scary movies

You're not only a peacekeeper, you're a cleankeeper too haha
    Sorry, I'm off topic, except that perhaps my ramblings are an indication of the quality or lack there of in me as a webOS user.

I was only 20 at the time, so I probably enjoyed the 'adrenaline' rush of mowing over graves...at least we did it during the day. It was an old cemetary that wasn't well maintained back then, so we only mowed 2 or 3 times a year. We had to rent heavy duty bush-type mowers with big wheels to navigate the high weeds and the sunken ground over the graves.

Now that graveyard has been revitalized and is in use again. Ironically, when I was about 12, my Dad, my best friend, and I went into that graveyard to retrieve a cornerstone from the old church foundation in the midst of the graveyard. The graves were sunken back then too, and we had to lift the 300 pound stone into a wheel barrow, and place wooden planks on the ground to roll the wheel barrow across the graveyard. Somehow we got it out and into our old buick station wagon. That stone was cut to fit into the new church building which is about a mile away, and is there to this day.

A few years back, our church commissioned an effort to identify the graves and evaluate the graveyard. Using subsurface techniques (Ground Penetrating Radar...GPR...I think), a survey company identified all the graves and laid out the graveyard. We found there were a lot of empty plots. Members of the church can buy a plot now. My wife and I have plots next to my parents and my wife's parents. My Dad was in charge of the survey and establishment of the recent use of the graveyard. Who knows one day, perhaps a descendant of mine will be the groundskeeper, mowing the grass above my grave. The circle of life! Of course, you might guess that my belief system has me 'looking down' on such activities instead of 'rising up' to grab the ankle of my descendant as he or she pushes that lawnmower...but I would be tempted to see the look on their face...a bit devilish on my part

OK, done.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12