1.    #1  
    1) When I try to generate an SMS, if I select with the stylus any of the three "Address by..." options in the "To:" field, nothing happens.

2) If I scroll to one of the three options and try to select it with the spacebar, my Treo 270 crashes.

I just noticed this, but I haven't tried to create a new SMS with a new address in a long time-- I usually have one that I want already listed in the "recent address" list below the "Address by..." lines. So, I can't say what software I may have recently added to cause this.

Any clues?
    Originally posted by Fleischner

If I scroll to one of the three options and try to select it with the spacebar, my Treo 270 crashes.

Sounds like a corrupted SMS database.

Delete the files 'sms messages.pdb' and 'sms quicklist.pdb'. You can find them in your backup folder under your hotsync name id (just do a search on your C:drive for the files).

After the delete, hotsync your Treo (the two files will be re-created automatically).

Hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the tip, and I'm willing to give it a try, but before I do that, aren't the ones on the Treo the ones I should delete? How does deleting the ones backed up on my computer fix corrupt handheld files?

Thanks for your help so far.
    How does deleting the ones backed up on my computer fix corrupt handheld files?
    The corruption could be in the Treo and/or the .PDB file.

To be on the safe side, I would delete the messages on the Treo and the .PDB file.
  5.    #5  
    Okay, I deleted both files on both the Treo and the desktop. No joy-- same problem.

Any other possibilities come to mind?
    Okay, I deleted both files on both the Treo and the desktop. No joy-- same problem.

Any other possibilities come to mind?
    If all else fails, HotSync and Hard Reset.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, that's *definitely* if all else fails. I'm not there yet-- I'm going to try to find conflicts or corrupt files first. Sigh.

Thanks for the try.
  8.    #8  
    FWIW, I figured it out. It was Okey crashing my Treo 270 when I try to select a recipient in my SMS sending program. Making that selection with a stylus works fine, but using the jog dial (even if I'm not doing it through the OKey functionality) crashes the Treo. When I disabled Okey, it worked fine.