Like Tree11Likes
  • 6 Post By sledge007
  • 3 Post By methods
  • 1 Post By marcedhk
  • 1 Post By MDsmartphone
  1.    #1  
    Microsoft Offends OEMs With Surface, HP Refusing To Build Windows ARM Devices | TechCrunch

The proverbial wrench in the gears?

While OEMs rarely have much spine, this may end up being the straw that broke the HPs back.
    I bet HP is wishing they had their own OS now.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    They could still stop open source, screw us again, then begin again from the start and make us all wait again, with announcements and few weeks coming conferences. Then, start hiring for a webOS crew,......sigh, lol I hope not that would be another blow to the nuts .
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    I was actually surprised this wasn't being discussed in the Touchpad forum. It gives every reason for HP to throw their hat in the ring again because MS. I can't see HP holding back long, because they've stated that mobile is an important area for them to be in.
    Well, HP did a <bite me> to MS when they announced they'd put webOS on every PC in 2012. But this is just wrong...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/30/2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: language viloation
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    If you read the full article from SemiAccurate ...

Yes, if rumors SemiAccurate hears are true, a whole flock of formerly close Microsoft partners just decided that their new best friend is now Google, Microsoft is no longer relevant to computing's future.
    having any regrets HP? Now a year later and they could have been on their 2nd generation Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Well, HP did a <bite me> to MS when they announced they'd put webOS on every PC in 2012. But this is just wrong...
    no, webOS was going to be an additional application layer that could be used on top of Windows.

HP probably burned the bridges with every ARM cpu & chipset supplier with the abrupt cancellation of webOS hardware. They would probably be at the back of the line picking through stuff that other brands didn't buy.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/30/2012 at 10:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    If you read the full article from SemiAccurate ...

having any regrets HP? Now a year later and they could have been on their 2nd generation Touchpad.
    Exactly. Could have been on TouchPad 2 AND the TouchPad Go, could have already had Android apps, could have had a well received phone in the Pre 3, could have been positioning themselves to snatch up RIM customers when their hardware division goes under and they are forced to license access to their secure network. Sure they'd probably still be losing money, but at least they would have a possible pathway to a future in mobile. Right now they've got nothing.
    RoverNole likes this.
    hmmm. The touchpad go would have come out at the same time as the amazon kindle fire...and this google nexus tablet woulda been renamed "the touchpad go" killer instead of the "kindle fire" killer.

sigh.

Damn you leo, Damn you.
    cujoq37 likes this.
    Another link:

HP said to dump Microsoft over Surface | SemiAccurate

Well HP, you still have some people working on Open webOS. It's not completely dead. Just needs more money and more people and you can get back in the game.

The Touchpad was supposed to originally run Android. Now you have to think that HP is using some hardware to test Open webOS. Maybe they can use the tablet they were going to use for Windows 8 to ship Open webOS. We can dream, eh? Well, one thing's for sure, that we need to stay tuned for any official announcements from HP.
    We can indeed dream. Though the future's bright, the Community Edition already has two good-sounding pull requests in as many days, and I've got a little something in the works too. As do a few others, I'd think
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Come on HP, think about it - you're releasing an open source OS in 2 months time, and people are going to be scrambling to get it running on something. How about you still put out those now cancelled WART tablets on the market BUT with open webOS and ACL? Put them out there at cost initially for the webOS faithful that are looking to upgrade their hardware to current specs, and want to be able to stop dual booting into Android, use online direct sales only to keep your overheads down and introduce android app sales to the HP App Catalog so you can earn ecosystem revenue Amazon style. Heck, you could even work with Cyanogenmod to get an Android build for it done so it can dual boot if you feel you need to hedge your bets. You put that out there, and even as strapped for cash as I am right now I'm saying the heck with it and buying it on day one.

HP has a chance to turn lemons into lemonade here, but do they have the guts to even try something like that?
    And gee, webOS is an ARM platform
    *wink wink*
    Quote Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
    And gee, webOS is an ARM platform
    *wink wink*
    Lol, just got an image in my head of someone at HP suddenly realising that.
    webOS Ports' UI Architect & luna-sysmgr guru.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
    Lol, just got an image in my head of someone at HP suddenly realising that.
    *LOL*