Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey HP....here's where you might want to SERIOUSLY reconsider your decision to abandon webOS devices and put your eggs in the MS basket:
    Microsoft to take on Apple with own Windows 8 tablet? | Business Tech - CNET News
    Yeah, lot's of rumours. Might be different kind of device which doesn't compete with iPad but with Kindle-like devices. No content creation only consumption. Would still be a potential game changer and might create opportunities for webOS devices.

If it is full Windows 8 device, it will be a serious blow in the face for HP Windows tablets and even the Apple iPad/iOS ecosystem might face serious competition for the first time since the HP TP/webOS ecosystem

Let's wait till Monday when the official announcement is expected.
    Please release your own tablet today and announce that it will be an iPad killer. Also announce that you are buying Nokia and will become a phone manufacturer too. Perhaps this will convince HP's Board of Directiors and Meg Whitman that HP needs its own mobile OS and its own OS hardware.
    marcedhk, pitsop and Rnp like this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    Please release your own tablet today and announce that it will be an iPad killer. Also announce that you are buying Nokia and will become a phone manufacturer too. Perhaps this will convince HP's Board of Directiors and Meg Whitman that HP needs its own mobile OS and its own OS hardware.
    *LOL*
    I'm with you on that one millertime!
    You never know... this might be the payoff for dumping webOS. If the partner is HP making "while label" products for Microsoft - it will all make sense. If not, HP will look even more stupid for hitching their star to Microsoft.

Seems like the only players who will be around (in a significant way) will be those who own the entire ecosystem. (Microsoft, Google, Apple as the survivors - RIM gone soon, Palm - gone, Nokia- virtually gone, did I miss anyone?)

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I like it too, but don't think HP has the money or the guts to pull it off. they may just be out of the mobile space for a while. (Unless someone thinks being a "me too" Windows or Android brand is going to be the path to success.)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  7.    #7  
    And it looks pretty cool.

So HP, what are you gonna do?
    Last edited by marcedhk; 06/18/2012 at 06:58 PM.
    so is hp's 'back to school" tablet in jepoardy? Why would anyone buy it when they can get kickstand cover with keyboard Surface tablet? I'm not even sure msft will allow others to make tablets as it would dilute brand? Or maybe those would be the cheaper tablets with Surface as the flagship?
    So HP and whatever operating system they choose to use will have to compete directly with the Microsoft Tablets consumer and pro grades. Hmmm they did not do well against Apple sooo this should prove interesting to say the least.
    Press Release:

Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows

I like the touch keyboard cover

Microsoft Announces Surface: New Family of PCs for Windows*.

LOS ANGELES — June 18, 2012 — Today at an event in Hollywood, Microsoft unveiled Surface: PCs built to be the ultimate stage for Windows. Company executives showed two Windows tablets and accessories that feature significant advances in industrial design and attention to detail. Surface is designed to seamlessly transition between consumption and creation, without compromise. It delivers the power of amazing software with Windows and the feel of premium hardware in one exciting experience.
    Conceived, designed and engineered entirely by Microsoft employees, and building on the company’s 30-year history manufacturing hardware, Surface is designed to seamlessly transition between consumption and creation, without compromise.
    Surface: A New Family of PCs for Windows
    June 19, 2012
    Conceived, designed and engineered entirely by Microsoft employees, and building on the company’s 30-year history manufacturing hardware, Surface is designed to seamlessly transition between consumption and creation, without compromise.
    Download: Web | Print
    See also: Surface Website

Advances in Industrial Design

Conceived, designed and engineered entirely by Microsoft employees, and building on the company’s 30-year history manufacturing hardware, Surface represents a unique vision for the seamless expression of entertainment and creativity. Extensive investment in industrial design and real user experience includes the following highlights:

Software takes center stage: Surface sports a full-sized USB port and a 16:9 aspect ratio – the industry standard for HD. It has edges angled at 22 degrees, a natural position for the PC at rest or in active use, letting the hardware fade into the background and the software stand out.

VaporMg: The casing of Surface is created using a unique approach called VaporMg (pronounced Vapor-Mag), a combination of material selection and process to mold metal and deposit particles that creates a finish akin to a luxury watch. Starting with magnesium, parts can be molded as thin as .65 mm, thinner than the typical credit card, to create a product that is thin, light and rigid/strong.

Integrated Kickstand: The unique VaporMg approach also enables a built-in kickstand that lets you transition Surface from active use to passive consumption – watching a movie or even using the HD front- or rear-facing video cameras. The kickstand is there when needed, and disappears when not in use, with no extra weight or thickness.

Touch Cover: The 3 mm Touch Cover represents a step forward in human-computer interface. Using a unique pressure-sensitive technology, Touch Cover senses keystrokes as gestures, enabling you to touch type significantly faster than with an on-screen keyboard. It will be available in a selection of vibrant colors. Touch Cover clicks into Surface via a built-in magnetic connector, forming a natural spine like you find on a book, and works as a protective cover. You can also click in a 5 mm-thin Type Cover that adds moving keys for a more traditional typing feel.

An Amazing Windows Experience

Two models of Surface will be available: one running an ARM processor featuring Windows RT, and one with a third-generation Intel Core processor featuring Windows 8 Pro. From the fast and fluid interface, to the ease of connecting you to the people, information and apps that users care about most, Surface will be a premium way to experience all that Windows has to offer. Surface for Windows RT will release with the general availability of Windows 8, and the Windows 8 Pro model will be available about 90 days later. Both will be sold in the Microsoft Store locations in the U.S. and available through select online Microsoft Stores.

Contributing to an Expanded Ecosystem

One of the strengths of Windows is its extensive ecosystem of software and hardware partners, delivering selection and choice that makes a customer’s Windows experience uniquely their own. This continues with Surface. Microsoft is delivering a unique contribution to an already strong and growing ecosystem of functional and stylish devices delivered by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to bring the experience of Windows to consumers and businesses around the globe.

Additional Product Information

Surface for Windows RT

Light(1): 676 g

Thin(2): 9.3 mm

Clear: 10.6” ClearType HD Display

Energized: 31.5 W-h

Connected: microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae

Productive: Office ‘15’ Apps, Touch Cover, Type Cover

Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand

Configurable: 32 GB, 64 GB

Surface for Windows 8 Pro

Light(1): 903 g

Thin(2): 13.5 mm

Clear: 10.6” ClearType Full HD Display

Energized: 42 W-h

Connected: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae

Productive: Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block

Practical: VaporMg Case & Stand

Configurable: 64 GB, 128 GB

(1), (2). Actual size and weight of the device may vary due to configuration and manufacturing process.

Suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC. OEMs will have cost and feature parity on Windows 8 and Windows RT.

For more information about Surface, visit http://www.surface.com.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

Some information relates to a prerelease product, which may be substantially modified before it is commercially released. Microsoft makes no warranties, express or implied, with respect to the information provided here.
    As much as I love webOS...how in the world would HP convince someone to buy a webOS product over an ipad, microsoft surface tab, or even a Google nexus tablet? Where are the apps or the ecosystem?

HP blew their chance of making something out of webOS when it was the number 2 tablet in the market. Im hoping they regret it. I would be pleased to see HP falter and become the next palm or rim or nokia
    Or is this a big marketing trick from Microsoft. No release date, no specs. Teasing OEMs? Makes you wonder.
    I have a couple concerns about this.

How would the keyboard fare? I get the feeling it's just a virtual keyboard meant to not take screen space. or maybe it'll be a mushy mess. guess we'll find out

it also looks like the keys are raised. My HP mini has these long broken horizontal lines/streaks along the LCD + bezel from the keyboard. :/

well, we'll see.
    this article dated as late as may 11 has quote from bradley that he will make win8 tablets for small business and enterprise, not consumer.
    article also said hp aso wanted to tie in hp cloud to this tablet and also autonomy services. So this is huge for them that msft is debuting surface. Msft could make them a services partner but others could be so also and it might be open to bidding.

As late as may 24 whitman told cnbc she is doing a back to school tablet so that would be sept release. How long does it take to make a tablet, did the manu on that start already? If so, can those tablets be repurposed for webos? I have to believe msft told the oems only a week or two ago so as to prevent leaks.

HP's Meg Whitman in China to reaffirm PC commitment - wireless, Personal Tech, networking, Mobile &amp, hewlett-packard - ARN

News Headlines
    Microsoft said at the event the the Surface for Windows 8 RT will be released when Windows 8 is released this Fall and that the Surface for Windows 8 Pro will be released 90 days later.

The Touch Cover is an actual keyboard, not a virtual keyboard. It has an accelerometer so that when the cover is flapped to the back of the tablet, it will turn itself off. When the cover is flapped down, it will turn itself on. This was also mentioned at the event on Monday.

There is also a second cover, Type Cover, this has actual keys.

With me, Microsoft have achieved there goal; I will not be buying the Nexus 7 tablet in July, I will wait until the Fall and compare it to the Surface for Windows 8 RT.
    I was impressed by the innovation of the Surface hardware at the event so yesterday I
    installed win8 beta on vmware mac and played around with it using a keyboard.
    I also tried to simulate tablet feel by using splashtop with it.

While I liked parts of both parts on the OS separately--the old desktop Win and the new tablet app tiles which update the screen, it felt disjointed to have both on same tablet, it felt as if I was dressed head to toe in work clothes and then all of a sudden I was dressed for vacation and then I kept switching between the two--caused a type of jerkiness in thought process and body to have the design switch so abruptly. Form follows function. I see why they need the keyboard to be there, you certainly would want the keyboard still in the desktop part as you would want to be typing memos or spreadsheets fast. By putting the keyboard on the tablet cover, they at least make it seem a tad tablet-ish even while you would be accomplishing the pc functions with it.

The whole thing made me appreciate that ubuntu runs in a card on webOS and I'm not switching out the tablecloth or silverware or glasses, i'm just putting a different dish on the same table.

I can see also why Apple refused to radically change OSX also to follow their tablet operating system. From what I understand, they are making some changes to pieces of things but not radical alterations to the main elements (changing the shape of dishes on the table and what dishes are offered but not changing the look of the table itself).

Strangely, this whole thing made me like the ipad better. I did not get that wrenching feel when I used it, I became more aware of the silkiness of the design elements. Coming from webOS all I could previously see was the lack of flexibility and opaqueness of the file structure--this because I was spoiled already by the smoothness of webOS design and so the ipad did not stand out as much as when I looked at win8.

In terms of the tablet tiles updating, it made me feel I was watching the tickertape at the bottom of the CNN screen. I can see how I may need to see a few pieces of information up front but frankly, watching the crawl like that when I look at the screen is distracting, it takes focus away from what I am doing. Once I get the weather, how many times do I need to see it in a minute unless I am a weather forecaster or a storm is approaching (and if a storm is approaching, I'm probably needing to do a lot of other things besides watching my tablet screen).
    HP is going to do one of two things...

1 - Nothing

2 - Something, but half a**ed

I really wish that webOS would get used rather than abused and left in the corner to rot.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    bluenote, C-Note and Rnp like this.
    This is almost humorous. In the face of the i-Device revolution, HP boldly attempts to hedge its WinTel bets by “doubling down” on a new ecosystem based around the WebOS. HP finds it does not have the stomach to forge its own destiny, abandons its first foray into developing its own ecosystem before has chance to gestate. They decided to fall back to safety of WinTel in the tablet space, just to find out their jilter “partner” has moved on.

Which reminds me, I saw this blog post (How I Store My 1′s and 0′s: ZFS + Bargain HP Microserver = JOY | mockyblog) the other day and I thought how cool it would have been if HP stuck with the WebOS ecosystem venture and attempted to integrate WebOS Synergy/Enyo services into similar affordable microservers and sold to SOHO and pro-user. Then they could have tied WebOS devices (Phone/Tablets/PCs/Printers), microservers and cloud services into one cohesive ecosystem that was transparent to the end user. Oh well, opportunity lost.
    Last edited by nbrophy; 06/20/2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Rnp likes this.
    'The CEO for a top Microsoft (NSDQ:MSFT) enterprise partner, who did not want to be identified, said Microsoft’s Surface Tablet strategy is another sign that Microsoft does not get the channel.

“Their track record is not one that makes me want to jump in and invest in this," said the CEO. If they are going to make the investment with us then we can talk. But for me to spend my good money to pursue their agenda, I don’t think so.”

The CEO said his company is reevaluating the high level of resources it is dedicating to its relationship with Microsoft.

“We are rethinking our relationship based on the energy that we put in and the results we get out of it,” he said. “Microsoft is an important part of our business because our customers rely on Microsoft software to operate their business. But Microsoft is not engaged strategically with us.”'

http://www.crn.com/news/mobility/240...let.htm?pgno=2
    It sounds like he is bitter and burned by the development. Im sure Ms' reaction would be 'who cares!' Why does he have to be in on it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast