1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

I just got my 270 and can't seem to find solutions for some things I want to do.

How many of you have had success in using the Treo without using the stylus? It is such a PITA to have to pull the darn thing out to select things, check boxes, etc. How does one cope? Are there hacks to map certain keystrokes to certain buttons? For example, you can enter the time of an appointment, but how do you select repeat options without the stylus? As another example, in a To-Do list, how do you select items without a stylus or check them off? Thanks for helping a newbie...

Rich
    More often than not I use the back side of my finger (fingernail) to accomplish most things. This also reduces smudging. I use this method primarily when busy and mobile. If I'm sitting down and not real busy, I use the stylus.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    I use fingernail too when I'm walking in the street.
    I use my tounge
    That's an interesting way to spell tongue!
    How about the middle finger?...just kidding. The stylus ain't that bad, after a while you get used to it. Besides, you could always use it to clean your ears!
    m00se
    > How many of you have had success in using the Treo without
    > using the stylus? It is such a PITA to have to pull the darn thing out to
    > select things, check boxes, etc. How does one cope? Are there
    > hacks to map certain keystrokes to certain buttons? For example, you
    > can enter the time of an appointment, but how do you select
    > repeat options without the stylus? As another example, in a To-Do list,
    > how do you select items without a stylus or check them off? Thanks for
    > helping a newbie...

Look for a program called PowerJog. It is shareware, but it is essential for the power user. Basically, if you hold down the jog rocker, it pops up a list of special actions you can do. It will allow you use access controls (buttons, checkboxes, dropdowns, etc) in any program that uses PalmOS standard controls (some programs draw their own controls; Blazer does this in the actual window, but you can just scroll the jog rocker like normal and it gives you access to stuff like that on its own). Jog Rocker is not a perfect solution, but it's difficult to think of a better overall implementation.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for all the finger suggestions, yet I should have said that I'm really looking to make the Treo a viable one-handed solution. If I had a longer thumb, I guess it could be, but alas, this is not the case. Hmm, maybe I should try a banjo thumb pick? In the meantime, I'll check out PowerJog. Thanks, yawl!

Rich
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I've found the following tips helpful for minimizing stylus usage:

* Treo Keyboard Utils allows you to map `/[letter]' to things like next field, previous field, backward, forward, next line, previous line etc.

* EasyLaunch allows you to map hard keys to things like home/end, line home/end, page up/down, and many other useful actions.

I've also decided that, for me at least, the problem isn't necessarily minimizing stylus use. Rather it is minimizing the number of switches between the keyboard and the stylus.

I have found utilities like RecoEcho+ (for onscreen graffiti), EasyLaunch and McPhling (for application launching and switching), KeyCapsHack (for minimizing the number of key-presses when typing) and CorrectHack (for autocorrecting and expanding abbreviations) for helping me to more efficiently use my Treo.
    How about Okey hack (hackmaster/Xmaster required)

http://palmgear.com/software/showsof...3&prodID=45479
  12.    #12  
    Hmmm.... Okey hack 1.1 installed, but complained that I need system version 5. I clicked the link you sent, and it said all I needed was OS 3.5. Anyone else seen this problem?

Rich
    Originally posted by millerhifi
    That's an interesting way to spell tongue!
    He cannot spell properly since is using his tongue to type that email in the TREO.
    that, and he might be more used to using/spelling 'lengua' than 'tongue' anyway....if that's not the case then 'tounge' is a place where a tongue would go to 'lounge' (rest). that would be a place like this since most of us are typing and not talking.
    Originally posted by mathguru
    I've found the following tips helpful for minimizing stylus usage:

* Treo Keyboard Utils allows you to map `/[letter]' to things like next field, previous field, backward, forward, next line, previous line etc.

I have Treo Keyboard Utils loaded, but can't figure out how to actually use it.