Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilovedessert
  • 1 Post By PalmPixi_User23
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

It's a pity but webOS deserved better than this....now that it's dying a slow death!

take care,

Jay

June 1, 2012
    Analyst Downgrades HP as It Faces Mobile Pressures

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012...gewanted=print

NEW YORK (AP) — Shares of Hewlett-Packard Co. fell on Friday after an analyst downgraded the stock because of worries that tablet computers and smartphones could hurt some of the technology company's businesses.

In cutting his rating and price target, Peter Misek of Jefferies & Co. said that tablet computers such as Apple's iPad are likely to hurt HP's PC business.

PC makers have been hoping for a boost later this year when Microsoft Corp. updates its Windows operating system to incorporate touch-screen and other features popular with tablet computers, but Misek said Windows 8 could "accelerate tablet cannibalization as the operating system focuses on touch."
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rnp likes this.
    out of interest i tried ordering a few ICOO ICS 7" tablets off ebay just to see how the cheapo quality chineese knockoff tablets fair(some in the 50 quid range, nice range for a breakable kids toy), might give my nephew them to play with as games machines as their cheap as chips and he likes to steal ppls phones to play angry birds/fruit machine games.

i know people want a new open webOS to appear on funky new awesome feature packed hardware, tho i wonder if also targeting cheapo budget hardware at the same time would be a good idea, fail at 1 direction and might excell at the other? who knows..

All i do know from reading various news items like above is that new tablets/phones that arent the latest android/ios, NEED something to stand out, be it features/price/dualboot etc, who cares what it is but something IS needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    out of interest i tried ordering a few ICOO ICS 7" tablets off ebay just to see how the cheapo quality chineese knockoff tablets fair(some in the 50 quid range, nice range for a breakable kids toy), might give my nephew them to play with as games machines as their cheap as chips and he likes to steal ppls phones to play angry birds/fruit machine games.

i know people want a new open webOS to appear on funky new awesome feature packed hardware, tho i wonder if also targeting cheapo budget hardware at the same time would be a good idea, fail at 1 direction and might excell at the other? who knows..

All i do know from reading various news items like above is that new tablets/phones that arent the latest android/ios, NEED something to stand out, be it features/price/dualboot etc, who cares what it is but something IS needed.
    I completely agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

FYI....see link.

It's a pity but webOS deserved better than this....now that it's dying a slow death!

take care,

Jay

June 1, 2012
    Analyst Downgrades HP as It Faces Mobile Pressures

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012...gewanted=print

NEW YORK (AP) — Shares of Hewlett-Packard Co. fell on Friday after an analyst downgraded the stock because of worries that tablet computers and smartphones could hurt some of the technology company's businesses.

In cutting his rating and price target, Peter Misek of Jefferies & Co. said that tablet computers such as Apple's iPad are likely to hurt HP's PC business.

PC makers have been hoping for a boost later this year when Microsoft Corp. updates its Windows operating system to incorporate touch-screen and other features popular with tablet computers, but Misek said Windows 8 could "accelerate tablet cannibalization as the operating system focuses on touch."
    I just read the article, that's sad.
    Welcome back jay.

Are u enjoying your android device?

Still can't believe you never owned a webOS device
    What hurts the most was HP had a chance. They just priced it completely wrong and executed it poorly.

And if it wasn't for that ***** Leo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry201 View Post
    The software has more negatives than positives. There isn't anything that stands out.
    handy its going open source then eh, immediate positives for me tho are the UI/and general operation of the cards/etc, still nto a fan of ios/android for general operation of the devices or the look and feel/uniformity and behaviour of their UI's.

so yeah personally i look forward to an open webOS tbh.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Welcome back jay.

Are u enjoying your android device?

Still can't believe you never owned a webOS device
    Hi all,

I haven't been posting much...as I had so much to do before the wedding....we got married on April 16th but we aren't having the reception until June 9th...(only Amy & I as well as my Mom were at the wedding, (plus the Rabbi & his wife)...we delayed the reception which is at our house until the 9th of June to make sure that everyone was done with Graduations etc.,....so that everyone could make it from out of town)...

My Android phone is OK, I'm not crazy about the keyboard as I do prefer Palm keys better....I used it a great deal when my Mom was back in the hospital and then into Physical Therapy rehab back in December as was at the rehab center 8 to 10 hours a day...but now that I'm back home and she is doing much better...I have the computers at home to use...

Be well all.....more soon,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    gosh, doesn't it seem like the analyst is downgrading HP because they have no mobile device offerings or strategy? I seem to remember HP buying a mobile device and OS company within the last few years, whatever happened with that?
    Say it aint so... y'mean he messed up the current AND future profitability of HP???

Really?!

So, let's see...

He saw that traditional HP businees was at risk.
    He spends 3X the book value on Autonomy. (in case anyone had forgotten how well HP has done with Acquisitions!)
    He cuts HP's potential iPad competitor after 48 days.. was that to make SURE HP had nowhere to go but down?

This stuff still burns my ****... and WebOS has ruined other OSes for me, dagnabbit!

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I haven't been posting much...as I had so much to do before the wedding....we got married on April 16th but we aren't having the reception until June 9th...(only Amy & I as well as my Mom were at the wedding, (plus the Rabbi & his wife)...we delayed the reception which is at our house until the 9th of June to make sure that everyone was done with Graduations etc.,....so that everyone could make it from out of town)...

My Android phone is OK, I'm not crazy about the keyboard as I do prefer Palm keys better....I used it a great deal when my Mom was back in the hospital and then into Physical Therapy rehab back in December as was at the rehab center 8 to 10 hours a day...but now that I'm back home and she is doing much better...I have the computers at home to use...

Be well all.....more soon,

Jay
    Congratulations for you and your new bride. Hope all goes well for your Mom.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Congratulations for you and your new bride. Hope all goes well for your Mom.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    HI, thank you and take care, Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    What hurts the most was HP had a chance. They just priced it completely wrong and executed it poorly.

And if it wasn't for that ***** Leo.
    I don't think that I could be saying only Leo is the one guilty of this debacle of WebOS, because he is no longer in HP anymore (even though it was him who cancelled WebOS devices in the first place). I think that people should start putting some blame on the newly appointed CEO Meg Whitman, who I think got the bigger blame of all. One she is stubbornly not even putting enough efforts into this science project of WebOS "Open Source", even cutting funds even more than anything else leaving 250(or less) at WebOS. Second, HP should be saying let's get push WebOS again slowly by releasing a redesign model of the TouchPad with stronger hardware design, quad-core processor, bigger resolution display and in choices of Black or White. It won't make people buy WebOS like folks stand in line for days outside of Apple stores to buy an ipad/iPhone, but it will keep WebOS into the retail market place and in-stores nationwide. Third, HP again is shooting themselves on the foot with putting their little eggs in one basket(Windows 8, operating system) which they continue to lose mobile market while they for Microsoft to release that operating system which we don't know when its going to come--looking probably in the October-November timeframe. Why they don't use a mobile operating system, like WebOS which while buggy/slow but its built already not waiting for months to be finish(Microsoft) and HP doesn't have to pay licensee fees to Microsoft at all. They could release devices, even while they push forth the open sourcing of WebOS(while keeing WebOS on the market).....I'm not CEO capacity when it comes to handling business companies, but in my opinion it would make business-sense to keep WebOS in the market-space within the retail business and developers minds as well. So when finally open WebOS hits the market, it has some strong foundations to be able to compete into next year in 2013 against the other contenders in the technology world like RIM, Google, and Microsoft.

Just worrisome to see a pack of three stooges like (Meg Whitman and Todd Bradley) patting themselves on the back proudly -- while they loosing every chance they had to be a big presence into the mobile market with WebOS. But instead they blowing money into building ultrabooks and PC which to me does not constitute innovation--a word that HP likes to use a lot in their vocabulary. I don't know, but everything time months passes by without any hard decision of what HP will do when it comes to tablets/phones its hard for me not to look a bit of Leo into Mrs Whitman character.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    mafu6 likes this.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
    I don't think that I could be saying only Leo is the one guilty of this debacle of WebOS, because he is no longer in HP anymore (even though it was him who cancelled WebOS devices in the first place). I think that people should start putting some blame on the newly appointed CEO Meg Whitman, who I think got the bigger blame of all. One she is stubbornly not even putting enough efforts into this science project of WebOS "Open Source", even cutting funds even more than anything else leaving 250(or less) at WebOS. Second, HP should be saying let's get push WebOS again slowly by releasing a redesign model of the TouchPad with stronger hardware design, quad-core processor, bigger resolution display and in choices of Black or White. It won't make people buy WebOS like folks stand in line for days outside of Apple stores to buy an ipad/iPhone, but it will keep WebOS into the retail market place and in-stores nationwide. Third, HP again is shooting themselves on the foot with putting their little eggs in one basket(Windows 8, operating system) which they continue to lose mobile market while they for Microsoft to release that operating system which we don't know when its going to come--looking probably in the October-November timeframe. Why they don't use a mobile operating system, like WebOS which while buggy/slow but its built already not waiting for months to be finish(Microsoft) and HP doesn't have to pay licensee fees to Microsoft at all. They could release devices, even while they push forth the open sourcing of WebOS(while keeing WebOS on the market).....I'm not CEO capacity when it comes to handling business companies, but in my opinion it would make business-sense to keep WebOS in the market-space within the retail business and developers minds as well. So when finally open WebOS hits the market, it has some strong foundations to be able to compete into next year in 2013 against the other contenders in the technology world like RIM, Google, and Microsoft.

Just worrisome to see a pack of three stooges like (Meg Whitman and Todd Bradley) patting themselves on the back proudly -- while they loosing every chance they had to be a big presence into the mobile market with WebOS. But instead they blowing money into building ultrabooks and PC which to me does not constitute innovation--a word that HP likes to use a lot in their vocabulary. I don't know, but everything time months passes by without any hard decision of what HP will do when it comes to tablets/phones its hard for me not to look a bit of Leo into Mrs Whitman character.
    I find it a little hard to blame Whitman for not investing heavily in webOS, at this point. If she cuts funding for it at this point webOSs' failures stay part of the old regime. If she pumps more money into it and it continues to fail the trail of tears ends up leading right to her door.

HP is no longer in a position where they think they can own the market, no matter how much wishful thinking they do. When the Pre was first released there were quotes that in a year none of the early adapters would be using iPhones anymore, everybody would want a Pre. HP's current direction of cost cutting and reevaluation seems to be much more grounded in reality. It's not what any webOS fan wants to hear, but it seems like a healthier attitude for the company as a whole. This is not the time to be betting the farm on a longshot.

Getting the completed open source webOS system in the community's hands is a significant commitment from HP as it is.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bearda View Post
    I find it a little hard to blame Whitman for not investing heavily in webOS, at this point. If she cuts funding for it at this point webOSs' failures stay part of the old regime. If she pumps more money into it and it continues to fail the trail of tears ends up leading right to her door.

HP is no longer in a position where they think they can own the market, no matter how much wishful thinking they do. When the Pre was first released there were quotes that in a year none of the early adapters would be using iPhones anymore, everybody would want a Pre. HP's current direction of cost cutting and reevaluation seems to be much more grounded in reality. It's not what any webOS fan wants to hear, but it seems like a healthier attitude for the company as a whole. This is not the time to be betting the farm on a longshot.

Getting the completed open source webOS system in the community's hands is a significant commitment from HP as it is.
    Actually this is exactly the time to be investing in a long shot. Making money requires investing money. All of HP's competitors are spending big bucks on new product. Lenovo is breathing down HP's neck in a big way. HP seems to think that if it consolidates and cuts costs that those actions will help them weather the storm of change. However, they simply don't have a strategy that aligns with the new mobile market. It's as plain as that. Shareholders want a low risk, low cost, stable business. But what they are going to get is ever diminishing returns unless HP invests in something in a big way AND takes on some risk. While that might not mean going the webOS route, it certainly means doing something different from what they are doing right now. Even if they decide to just fall back on their enterprise services, I don't see that succeeding unless they also have an embedded mobile strategy there as well.
    Actually, in general, Whitman, I think, is making the right steps. She has much more to manage than just webOS, she came into a company that was a total mess. As much as we can tell, she has been systematically moving all the various HP pieces into something resembling an organized structure where they can all be moving toward the same goal.

This process does not move as quickly as we would like. However, life is not like a movie where we can just skip the journey, we actually have to live through it. It takes time to get people installed in the right roles and figure out what the optimal structure for the assets you have is. I'm not intending to shill for Whitman here, just saying she seems to be doing the right things to get HP moving in the right direction. There's no guarantee her changes will work, but I think she is making the best moves she can with the hand she's been dealt.

As far as webOS goes, from what I understand, open-sourcing it is a fairly large undertaking and taking a fair number of resources. In that front, I'm disinclined to criticize HP too much for throwing a not insignificant sum at a project which is not generating any real revenue for the firm. Beyond that, if webOS is to make a comeback, those pushing for the OS must view this as a marathon not a sprint. HP needs to build a revenue generating system it can put on top of the newly open-sourced OS. I'd suspect a big driver would be something it could sell to its business clients, but we could also see some consumer services (maybe something built off SnapFish, or Melodeo). Additionally, HP needs an opening in the market. There's actually a lot of wisdom, given where webOS is at now, for HP to continue getting its pieces in order and see how the next moves by Microsoft and RIM play out. If they don't catch fire, HP could launch an organized tablet launch with a supporting framework and maybe do something dramatic, maybe buy RIM.

JMHO

Gargoyle