Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zubiaur
  1.    #1  
    Just wanted to move the front page discussion to a more moderated forum where 'hopefully' a more considered discussion can take place.

Thoughts on the development of the post webOS HP, the implications for webOS, and anything else is fair game.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I just want openWebOS to be out already, at least a beta. The wait is terribly long.
    After it is out, then we can more properly evaluate possibilities for webOS.

What about community webOS which is supposed to be out in June, is that still happening or did that get tossed when the Fred Patton left?

Maybe with Jason Robataille at Palm now, the beta can be moved up to July from August. Would like it to hit one year after the TouchPad came out.

Someone please "in the know" PM me with information..
  3.    #3  
    Seems like HP is still floundering:

• No coherent strategy for mobile devices (Win 8 is not a strategy, it's a 'Hail Mary' pass)
    • Open webOS looks less believable with every new news story.
    • Even the Autonomy deal is not looking that spectacular right now.

Here is the deal, it didn't have to be this way, but it is. I despise the trolls who come on and pontificate about how this was doomed from 2009 when the first phone was rolled out - usually their rationale is demonstrably flawed or mere speculation.

BUT... HP is lost. They are probably years away from being stable, if even then. They have lost the confidence of employees and shareholders. Notice Lenovo PC sales were improving while HP's were declining... so they are even losing some of the confidence of the consumer.

They (HP) can't afford to take a chance on anything perceived as a risk. They have NO reputation to throw behind any product launch. They are bleeding money and still trying to blame it on webOS to some degree too, funny. They are blowing out staff by the thousands and saying its to put money in R&D - R&D projects don't typically return results right away - sometimes for nearly 5 years from inception. So unless there is something already in the pipeline...

webOS features will be copied shamelessly by others. We can only hope that somebody does a good enough job to make me want to switch to their OS. Because as long as HP holds the car keys, we aren't going anywhere.

C
    If you are still proud, then just wait until Aug and Sept to evaluate, you owe the team still there and webos internals who is chafing at the bit to get their hands on the open source to improve it, that much respect and patience. Palm has made their roadmap to date this year.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    If you are still proud, then just wait until Aug and Sept to evaluate, you owe the team still there and webos internals who is chafing at the bit to get their hands on the open source to improve it, that much respect and patience. Palm has made their roadmap to date this year.
    Let's see what HP gives them.

Some of the private components of the OS will need to be replaced by open source replacements. And then there is the hardware issue. Running a platform shoehorned onto a existing piece of hardware rather than one optimized for it's strengths and weaknesses is a less that optimal experience.

The Internals guys are great, as you can see I contribute to them. But how many times in the last few years have they been left to say "We can't do this until Palm (later, HP) does..."

But as far as owing anyone anything, I've already paid in full. Still rocking my Pre +, have passed on my upgrade, I buy software at full price - no waiting for discounts or free download codes, and I donate ti the guys at internals and any other 'homebrewer' (Jason and the guy who made the configuration manager comes to mind). If this one dies before webOS does, I'll probably buy a Pre2 and switch that out on my Verizon account.

Likewise, "they" don't owe me anything at all either. And while "respect and patience" makes for a good marriage or a good parent, it doesn't make for a good business relationship. Unless I'm missing something, the open webOS 'roadmap' will just bring them to status quo but only with open source components - it will not add anything to the webOS arsenal.

So we are talking about (for the vast majority of remaining faithful) nearly 3 years with only incremental advancement in the OS. If the new OS is good enough, it should be able to win back the defectors and gain new fans. If all of us left around here bought 5 new phones each, it would not be enough to make the ecosystem self sustaining.

I'd love to see it, but if the goal is not to make a vibrant and available (on newer current hardware) OS, capable of turning heads and winning fans, then none of the other stuff matters.

C
    Seems that the press is now more aware of what really happened, things are clearing up.

from WIRED:

HP: Our WebOS Team Is NOT Leaving For Google

HP has confirmed that it has lost some “key members” of the team overseeing Enyo, a framework for developing HTML5 applications that grew up alongside the company’s ill-fated webOS mobile operating system. But it also says that a majority of the Enyo engineering and leadership team remains in place, contradicting a story that was splashed across the net on Friday.....

HP: Our WebOS Team Is NOT Leaving For Google | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com
    mafu6 likes this.