1.    #1  
    Howdy fellow prisoners

I know this subject has been discussed before but please bear with me for it is only a plea to apps programmers at large: Please create an app/hack that gives us, Treo users, better control of the volume on our beloved little gizmos. I turn the current volume control way-up, while on the phone, and still can't hear well if there's background noise in a room or outdoors. I tried the earbud but I am not an earbud fan. I tried the speakerphone as well, but I needn't have my table-neighbors listen to my conversations.
    So there... I am begging.
    I'm with you on this one. Someone? Please?
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    How about the speaker phone option? I use it when the surrounding enviroment is too loud for the regular mode to work well.
    This one is inexplicable to me.

Everyone complains about the volume.

It seems like it would only take a quick simple hack to boost each volume setting by about 3 bars. (the bottom 3 are useless on my phone)

With all the USELESS apps that folks have developed for the Treo, I really can't understand why no one wants to tackle this one!

Developers, we're waiting!
    As others have pointed out in different threads, the speaker phone is really a complete solution.

You just need to turn on the speaker phone, turn down the volume, and you can use it as a normal earpiece at ANY volume level you want.

I have problems with hearing in general but never have a situation where the Treo can't be adjusted to handle it. I was able to use it in the middle of the a Stones concert at full roar (at row 20). I heard fine!

As far as I'm concerned, the ability to use the speaker phone in this way provides for better volume control than with any other phone I've seen.

Pete
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by PeteP
    As others have pointed out in different threads, the speaker phone is really a complete solution.

You just need to turn on the speaker phone, turn down the volume, and you can use it as a normal earpiece at ANY volume level you want.

I have problems with hearing in general but never have a situation where the Treo can't be adjusted to handle it. I was able to use it in the middle of the a Stones concert at full roar (at row 20). I heard fine!

As far as I'm concerned, the ability to use the speaker phone in this way provides for better volume control than with any other phone I've seen.

Pete
    Thanks for the speaker phone idea: I have used it out of desperate necessities several times. However, the speaker phone concept was made indeed for a different purpose in mind, plus it gives me the notion that HS is content with it despite an outcry from other users to the contrary. I hear a whisper: The stone age is over...
    Using the speaker phone to replace the regular handset volume is ok, but it begs the more serious issue and suggests - albeit quietly - the Treo has no speaker phone. It's pointless to call it that.
    Originally posted by Alli
    Using the speaker phone to replace the regular handset volume is ok, but it begs the more serious issue and suggests - albeit quietly - the Treo has no speaker phone. It's pointless to call it that.
    I know I keep harping on about this and most are probably getting sick of it but when I removed the very powerful magnet from the speaker housing, not only did the speaker quality improve but the 'speaker phone' is now so loud, i can close the lid and still listen... something about that magnet...
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    The magnet operates a switch that detects if the flip lid is open or closed, it doesn't really have anything to do with the speaker.

What I've noticed is that the assembly of the inside lid cover is not particularly great (it is not sealed as tight as I think it should be). There is a waveguide with a gasket built into the inside lid of the treo and the loose fitting causes low volume (inefficiency). The loose fitting can also cause the lid to resonate (making a tinny sound at higher volumes).

If you activate the speaker phone and press down with your fingers on both sides of the speaker this creates a proper seal with the waveguide and the volume gets a lot louder and clearer.

The solution would seem to be a little super-glue around the speaker gasket and inside lid (or exchange your treo, which Sprint did for me with no problems). I would theorize that when you re-assembled your lid you now have a much tighter assembly than before. (But still isn't that loud compared to some cell phone "speakerphones" I have heard)

Something interesting I saw today: http://www.govoicego.com a portable battery powered speakerphone for cell/portable phones.
    Originally posted by jaak3
    The magnet operates a switch that detects if the flip lid is open or closed, it doesn't really have anything to do with the speaker.

What I've noticed is that the assembly of the inside lid cover is not particularly great (it is not sealed as tight as I think it should be). There is a waveguide with a gasket built into the inside lid of the treo and the loose fitting causes low volume (inefficiency). The loose fitting can also cause the lid to resonate (making a tinny sound at higher volumes).

If you activate the speaker phone and press down with your fingers on both sides of the speaker this creates a proper seal with the waveguide and the volume gets a lot louder and clearer.

The solution would seem to be a little super-glue around the speaker gasket and inside lid (or exchange your treo, which Sprint did for me with no problems). I would theorize that when you re-assembled your lid you now have a much tighter assembly than before. (But still isn't that loud compared to some cell phone "speakerphones" I have heard)

Something interesting I saw today: http://www.govoicego.com a portable battery powered speakerphone for cell/portable phones.
    I know about the switch thing. What I was getting at is that the magnet is very strong and it sits right next to the speaker - which is also magnetic. Is there some sort of interference? I don't have the gear to measure it... but there are umpteen articles on magnetic interference which point out that two magnets in close proximity to each other can interfere with each other... but I suppose it all depends how close the magnets are.

I know what you mean about the seal. I actually packed my lid out with a better seal so this has probably improved things and stopped that vibration. Saying this, notice the speaker is not a closed unit. The diaphragm is seated in an open housing so there is a lot of 'noise spillage' out of the rear of the speaker unit anyway (remove the plastic "flip" logo and more noise comes out of the rear hole than where you actually listen).
    Originally posted by Alli
    Sorry to disagree. But I don't see how your conclusion follows.

The speaker phone has always worked just fine for me, simply as a speaker phone. The fact that it can be turned way down and used as a very high volume earpiece is certainly not a reason to berate it. This is merely a very very good thing. As I see it, It provides greater volume range than just about any other phone on the market.

On the other hand, if the speaker phone volume is really too low for you, perhaps there's something wrong with your unit. (As mentioned elsewhere in this thread.)

Pete
    I don't have a problem with the volume in general, and I almost always use the earpiece so I'm constantly turning the volume DOWN. However, using the Treo's speakerphone as a speakerphone so that more than one person can hear the conversation....not great. Nextel's pager phone thingie blows the Treo's speakerphone quality away.
  13.    #13  
    This thread started as a plea...and it still is: apps makers-programmers out there, please create an app/hack to control the volume on the Treo without tinkering with the speaker phone or ear bud (even though they are useful at times). Please

m00se