Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
Like Tree6Likes
  1. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #1  
    The daunting task of restructuring Hewlett-Packard will begin in earnest next Wednesday when the company reports its quarterly earnings. Sources familiar with the company’s plans say that CEO Meg Whitman will discuss the opening steps of a company-wide restructuring plan that will include the elimination of about 30,000 jobs.

    A report by Business Insider yesterday pegged the range of cuts at HP to between 10 and 15 percent of its current work force of 320,000 people. But sources familiar with HP’s plans tell AllThingsD that the cuts will be carried out over a relatively long period of time, perhaps a year or more. A report by Bloomberg News out minutes ago puts the target at 25,000. The exact number of cuts, one source told me, is still considered a “moving target” and could grow or shrink.
    HP's Whitman to Announce Restructuring Wednesday; 30,000 Jobs Targeted - Arik Hesseldahl - News - AllThingsD

    Could they simply pull the plug as part of the cost-cutting or alternatively still open source it and then say "so long and thanks for all the fish!"
  2. #2  
    The webOS cuts occurred late last year and early this year after over a month of a strategic review process.

    They recently began hiring a few people. They are on a 3 to 5 year plan. Andreesen is on the board and he believes ultimately moblie is moving to web but it may take awhile as current bandwidth constraints are favoring apps. Andreesen has had prior success with open source.
    We heard last year Whitman put webOS as a CEO pet project. It would send a bad signal about consistency and long-range planning if the plan was aborted.

    To my mind, the hits at webOS occurred already and we are now in the early stage of rebuilding.

    Edit:
    the next big steps I am guessing will be the debut of community webOS and openWebOS. Then we will see if any hardware manufacturers bite and developers develop for the platform. These are the keys according to the Whitman interview in The Verge earlier this year or late last year (google it).

    Left unsaid is the role windows 8 will play in this but I think it logical if windows 8 is a success, webOS will have a slimmer chance of succeeding. Of course it is more probable that win8 will have a mixed success, with some adoption and many waiting and seeing if bugs can be worked out. If so, the way forward will be more opaque.
    ewl88 likes this.
  3. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #3  
    Those cuts suggest that the results next weds are going to be worse than excepted, she might decided that WebOS is a vanity project she can't afford especially as it generates no revenue and the chances of it generating revenue are slim.

    My hunch is that they will open source it and say goodbye.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Those cuts suggest that the results next weds are going to be worse than excepted, she might decided that WebOS is a vanity project she can't afford especially as it generates no revenue and the chances of it generating revenue are slim.

    My hunch is that they will open source it and say goodbye.
    Maybe. But she needs to commit to R&D and the future is mobile. Especially, if Win8 does not do well, it may have been the smart thing to keep webOS alive, while maintaining HP low investment by open sourcing it. My bet is already they took care of the cost issue last year and the investment planned is low enough that they do not need to revisit this item. The cuts now are in other areas and webOS is on the rise.

    FYI, those webOS for hire ads occurred a few weeks ago. I'm sure the cuts were planned by then, the Bloomberg article said the planning took awhile to set up. I like that Whitman takes her time and puts together a deliberate process, no more sudden strange moves.
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #5  
    FYI, those webOS for hire ads occurred a few weeks ago. I'm sure the cuts were planned by then,
    But remember that even the head of the WebOS unit found the hardware was being scrapped when it was released in the press not internally, other senior members of the team were at a developer's event when they found out. At the local level, they may have no idea until it's communicated downwards. It's not uncommon for business units to be hiring one day and for the next the person doing the hiring to find he's out of a job...
  6. #6  
    If you're going to start a sensationalist headline ending with a question mark.....

    Read on:

    Betteridge's Law of Headlines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    jkromero and fxspec06 like this.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But remember that even the head of the WebOS unit found the hardware was being scrapped when it was released in the press not internally, other senior members of the team were at a developer's event when they found out. At the local level, they may have no idea until it's communicated downwards. It's not uncommon for business units to be hiring one day and for the next the person doing the hiring to find he's out of a job...
    That was under Leo, Whitman has been deliberate in her planning. She was hired, in part, for her excellent communication skills. Somewhere in the forums, there are some HP Palm employees that wrote a post in the past few weeks testifying to her consistency.

    I read in the press that HP has not communicated its plans regarding openWebOS to Intel, which is staffed by ex-Palm employees. My guess is that the product needs to see a beta version before partners can be drawn into the process.
  8. #8  
    Yes they could. Will they. I have no way of knowing. But honestly i'd guess the resources dedicated to Webos right now are so small that you're talking cuts that would amount only to miniscule savings. I mean they are talking of cutting 30k people but how many people are still on webos? I've no clue but what 100? if that. Could they cut it? yeah but shouldn't they have already gutted the people on webos to save money.

    Another thing part of their restructuring is reducing redundancy. Like i read somewhere that they had people doing the same job but in several departments. like rather then one sales department selling integrated solutions, like cloud storage & servers & and support services all in one. Instead they had one guy trying to sell cloud services. Then other people in another department selling servers. And another departent selling the same customer printers but it was never integrated. So i'd think one step would be consolidating these similar actions so they can bundle sales. But if you get all the sales people in a single unit maybe that means firing some because you're more efficient and don't need them.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #9  
    Have to agree with the above post. The "drop in the bucket" that remains of webOS probably doesn't add up to that much. Not saying it couldn't happen, but it sounds like there's bigger fish to fry.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. #10  
    The webOS team numbers around 250 currently. That can and will be slashed if it makes sense on the books and being a drop in the bucket means nothing to a manager or accountant. I assume the decision to return to webOS hardware is still up in the air. If so, they will likely wait and see how things unfold in a year or two. It all depends on their long term plans and changes to them.

    For those who still think it cant happen, keep in mind that webOS' current state is the result of drastic cuts. Convenient amnesia will only cause you hurt in the end.
  11. tabletrus's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #11  
    HP plans massive layoff, say reports - Computerworld

    Still a rumor, but looks certain: HP to layoff 30000 employees on May 23

    Very sad. What impact on already battered Touchpad/webOS. Are all hopes lost now!
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tabletrus View Post
    HP plans massive layoff, say reports - Computerworld

    Still a rumor, but looks certain: HP to layoff 30000 employees on May 23

    Very sad. What impact on already battered Touchpad/webOS. Are all hopes lost now!
    Less than 10% of the employees.
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    The webOS team numbers around 250 currently. That can and will be slashed if it makes sense on the books and being a drop in the bucket means nothing to a manager or accountant. I assume the decision to return to webOS hardware is still up in the air. If so, they will likely wait and see how things unfold in a year or two. It all depends on their long term plans and changes to them.

    For those who still think it cant happen, keep in mind that webOS' current state is the result of drastic cuts. Convenient amnesia will only cause you hurt in the end.
    You're missing the nuance of the argument.
    We are talking about the current cuts (apparently most of which are aiming for the enterprise software division, according to AllthingsD)
  14. #15  
    Maybe Im being misunderstood but mine was a response to the OP, which was clear.
  15. #16  
    In response to the article just published, quoted from Enda´s twitter: @webOSnation Thankfully this will not affect webOS.
    sledge007 likes this.
  16. #17  
    HP was planning to provide all theit field people and others with touchpads. Then LEO killed the project. Now, HP is supposed to replace all the smartphones in the field with Android somethings. It doesn't look good for WebOS development in HP.
  17. #18  
    This has nothing to do with the webOS division, according to Enda McGrath on Twitter.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    geekpeter likes this.
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by crowder451 View Post
    HP was planning to provide all theit field people and others with touchpads. Then LEO killed the project. Now, HP is supposed to replace all the smartphones in the field with Android somethings. It doesn't look good for WebOS development in HP.
    why would HP give their customer facing sales people HP branded products that those customer couldn't actually buy?

    "Hey Mr Customer, I'm just going to take meeting notes on my webos based tablet"

    "Wow, that looks really good, can I buy one"

    "No, we don't make them anymore"

    Yep, brilliant idea. Having generic handsets (android or not) in the hands of customer facing sales people is a perfectly reasonable strategy.

    And the fact that the webos division is hiring for the first time in about a year is a positive thing, its in other parts of the business where the cuts will be felt.
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by crowder451 View Post
    HP was planning to provide all theit field people and others with touchpads. Then LEO killed the project. Now, HP is supposed to replace all the smartphones in the field with Android somethings. It doesn't look good for WebOS development in HP.
    They are replacing just smartphones or smartphones and tablets?

    HP under Whitman's realm said clearly they did not want to continue in the phone business which requires carrier relationships worldwide.
    They left the tablet question open.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions