Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Handspring announced at the recent analyst conference call that the Treo 180 communicator and 90 color organizer are discontinued, and will only continue sales until inventories are depleted.
    I do understand the 180 ... but the 90? Was it indicated why they are dropping the 90? Is it because they wish to focus all resources on the Treo smart phones?

I would watch for some good deals on 90's then in the upcoming weeks...
  3.    #3  
    They said that the Treo 90 color organizer with an SD expansion slot failed to catch the consumer's interest. They said that they are leaving the organizer business and putting more focus on the smartphone business (in a nut shell).
    Money talks...
    I bought a Treo 90 in September, and quickly wished it was the Treo 300. Dropped 17,000 hints, and got a 300 for XMAS. Gave the 90 to the wife.

When my wife's current other phone carrier contract ends, we'll switch her over to Sprint, she'll get the 300, and I'll get the even newer Treo. (She doesn't know this part of the plan yet!)

Cluemeister

P.S. Was it just me or did anyone else cringe when they read Handspring was going to pay out about $75 million dollars to NOT move into their new building? OUCH!
    I thought they would have followed the 90 with an OS5 device. At one time they were a big player in the pda world. Now they are in a small niche market that a year from now might be dominated by Samsung. Kyocera missed the window of opportunity, Palm too with it's smaller niche of gsm smartphone.

Samsung's i700 is going to be something worth the drive just to look at it. Other than that, the next thing to wait for is an OS5 smartphone FCC submission.
    David
    millerhifi,

Were you listening in on the call? It's weird that this isn't mentioned in the Treocentral article, or the Palminfocenter one either. Not like your lying, but why hasn't anyone reported this?
    the conference call can be accessed at Yahoo!

Unfortunately, I was not able to find the part that talks about discontinuing the 180 or the 90. Then again, I'm no native speaker so maybe someone else can point out the part where it's stated...

andreas
    treopolis -the German treo site

Now in beta testing: treopolis 2.0
    About 4 and a half minutes in the CEO says "We're selling out".

About 38 minutes during Q&A in the CEO says "This quarter" in response to a direct question.

The Handspring website for the TREO 90 now says "Not available at Hnadspring".
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    And at Best Buy it's $100 cheaper than the last time I saw it. Pity. If I didn't require a smartphone, the 90 would be an excellent device. Screen is protected, yet viewable. Has SD slot, OS 4.1H. Sony seems to get "OOHHSS and AAHHHS", but I think the sony clamshells are ugly, unweildy, and out of my price range. Take the best iPAQ. It's screen is unprotected so it's gonna have to go in some case. Handspring just seems to have too much baggage having 5 of it's legacy devices (new or refurbs) competing with a solitary new pda. I don't know how much money they make off the legacy devices, however in the future they should consider yanking legacy devices off the market when the newbies come out.
    David
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    About 4 and a half minutes in the CEO says "We're selling out".

About 38 minutes during Q&A in the CEO says "This quarter" in response to a direct question.

Thank you for pointing me towards those parts.

Could it be that they want to reduce the stock both theirs and the stores'? I'm sorry but I still find it hard to believe that they are dropping the T90 already. They said during the conference call that sales weren't as high as expected and that they try to reduce their stock. But does that automatically mean that they are going to drop it altogether?

Regarding not selling products through the web site: here in Germany Handspring stopped to sell any product through the web site (that is hardware) but that doesn't mean there aren't going to be any treos available in Germany anymore (I hope ). It's just a matter of cost efficency: it's probably a hassle for Handspring to hold up the mechanisms to make selling through a web site work (online shop, sending out hardware, maintainig direct support...)

I'm sorry, I know I sound a little stubborn in that matter. But I maintain a German web site about the treo and I'd hate to post a 't90 + t180 discontinued' message and later have to take it back. So please forgive me for being such a none-believer

andreas

Thats too bad if true. The Treo 90 was a nifty little pda IMHO. I really wish HS some luck in the future. It would be nice to hear some good news for once instead of gloom and doom...
    W.r.t. not believing that the TREO 90 and TREO 180 have been discontinued, that is a personal decision one must make in the face of insurmountable evidence - when HAND management says "We're selling out" and "out of organizer business" I suppose one COULD say "Aw, come on!? I don't believe it!" but it certainly doesn't seem a prudent interpretation to me!
    Has anyone e-mailed Handspring and asked them if they discontinued the 90 and 180?
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    according to a source that is closer to Handspring than I am (which is, of course, not hard to be because I'm not at all close to Handspring) they want to conentrate on color communicators not. That doesn't include either the 90 nor the 180

On top of that alot of German resellers are dropping treos altogether because of Handspring's crappy new support. It'll be an interesting year for Handspring in Germany/Europe...

andreas

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    The future of HS is now very much in doubt. For my next smartphone I may make a clean break from the Palm OS.
    Virtuous
    Originally posted by wshwe
    The future of HS is now very much in doubt. For my next smartphone I may make a clean break from the Palm OS.
    Why? Because they discontinued some products? Wanna elaborate a little on why discontinuing products, which every company does, now threatens their future, and how it effects the smartphone/Palm OS relationship?
    > ...Why? Because they discontinued some products?...

No, because they are and have been doing so poorly financially that it appears to many that Handspring won't even be able to make products to discontinue within half a year of intro!
    Well sure, but none of that has to do with the discussion in this thread. We are discussing discontinued models.......other threads have discussed financial outcomes.
    True, however the person who posted "Handspring is in trouble" didn't qualify it with "due to discontinued products".

Such is the rambling nature of message board threads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast