Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1.    #1  
    Could HP consider buying RIMM? How funny would that be and somehow it would not surprise me.

Here Are 11 Desperate Companies That Might Buy RIM (RIMM, GOOG, HPQ, DELL)
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I would rule out Dell. They just announced defeat with their excursion into the phone business.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    to aquire what exactly, HP has stated their out of the smartphone business.
    The valuation will probably be too high for a while yet. However, this might well be a good idea at some point. RIMM would bring a lot of expertise at making phones (of course this presumes HP wanted to get back into the phone game, which eventually webOS will need to re-enter if it is ultimately successful, but webOS re-entering that market doesn't mean HP does), a sustatial installed userbase, patents and good credibility with enterprise. The big catch I see is that for this to truly bring synergy you would need to be able to merge the BlackBerry OS and webOS. It's probably possible, but whether it's a worthwhile investment is another matter.

Gargoyle
    Not gonna be HP. They said they were done with acquisitions for now and done with experiments.

Sent from my White Touchpad with Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Could HP consider buying RIMM? How funny would that be and somehow it would not surprise me.

Here Are 11 Desperate Companies That Might Buy RIM (RIMM, GOOG, HPQ, DELL)
    yeah they could consider it. That's nothing more the thinking about it. But i don't see a chance in the world they'd actually buy them or think very long about it.

HP has been struggling for a few years. It doesn't make them any more profitable to buy another struggling company. Not to mention they've said that they don't anticipate even being in the mobile phone space ever again. But even the author's reasoning makes little sense. He writes "Dell, HP, Acer, other PC manufacturers who are getting absolutely clobbered because they're not making hit smartphones and tablets." But RIM does NOT make hit smartphones and tablets so buying them isn't a solution for HP. This would be like a company struggling because it only makes CDs trying to by a minidisc manufacturing company.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 04/02/2012 at 05:27 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
    Perhaps HP will buy RIM and then say that they didn't buy them to get into the smartphone business. Then, perhaps, they will actually launch a tiny Blackberry that nobody asked for.
    LOL!!! Good one.

RIM should have bought WebOS. Their Achilles heel has always been their antiquated non-touchscreen devices and slow outdated OS. The devices work very well, even to this day, but are BORING and unable to run classes of apps. (how much fun is Angry Birds on a Blackberry?)

If (and it is an unknown 'if' ) they could have modified webOS to mesh into their security model, they would have instantly arrested their slide into obsolescence.

Better still, if HP have targeted the business user by bringing the basic function reliability of the classic Palm devices to the slick webOS user interface, they would have been a big beneficiary of the RIM user defections.

After all, they had the best entry into the business world of all of the current players (including Apple), but apparently they thought scale meant pushing mediocre stuff into the channels and assuming that they will sell just because...
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I don't believe HP is in any position to make another big money and resources gamble at this point.

For the sake or argument though, if HP were to do that it would mean the end of their backing for webOS. If you have 2 struggling platforms, one which is still bringing in some cash from certain regions (Asia, etc) and still has a large active user base and another that is only costing you money and only has a small active user base, which would you focus your limited resources on trying to turn around?
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    yeah they could consider it. That's nothing more the thinking about it. But i don't see a chance in the world they'd actually buy them or think very long about it.

HP has been struggling for a few years. It doesn't make them any more profitable to buy another struggling company. Not to mention they've said that they don't anticipate even being in the mobile phone space ever again. But even the author's reasoning makes little sense. He writes "Dell, HP, Acer, other PC manufacturers who are getting absolutely clobbered because they're not making hit smartphones and tablets." But RIM does NOT make hit smartphones and tablets so how would buying them isn't a solution for HP. This would be like a company struggling because it only makes CDs trying to by a minidisc manufacturing company.
    We're not always on the same page, but good reasoning here. But, given whatever the board at HP has been smoking for the last few years, who knows.

C
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    We're not always on the same page, but good reasoning here. But, given whatever the board at HP has been smoking for the last few years, who knows.

C
    i'm not gonna rule out HP doing something typically HP crazy but aside from that i don't see it. It be easier to just take webos and fix it. Old BB style phones are selling less and less even for enterprise & QNX isn't currently in much better a position in my mind then webos. And if I'm Rim i don't see why they haven't just gone full bore with a bunch of QNX based phones. It doesn't look bad. Maybe they have some issues meshing qnx with the old users needs but why they've spent two years releasing 18 version of the same phone i just don't get. Any I have no idea why they decided to do a tablet before phones.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    HP don't have the cash to finance such a move.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Anyway, thet would be hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i'm not gonna rule out HP doing something typically HP crazy ...

but why they've spent two years releasing 18 version of the same phone i just don't get. Any I have no idea why they decided to do a tablet before phones.
    Sounds kind of like Palm /HP releasing basically 7 versions of the SAME FORM FACTOR (albeit the Pixi didn't have a sliding keyboard ) within the 2 or so years that anybody who wanted that style would have been locked into a contract with their choice.

1. Pre
    2. Pixi
    3. Pre Plus
    4. Pixi Plus
    5. Pre 2
    6. Veer
    7. Pre3

I've always been in the camp of "get the phone right first" - not that everyone shared that view. The phones will always sell more and turn over more rapidly than a tablet (i.e. - generate more repeat sales). No surprise why they are looking at the same end.
    well all i know is the writings been on the wall for RIM for a while and aside from a few phones i saw few changes.
    How sweet would it be if Rim started putting WebOS on their phones and got rid of their crappy platform.. agh, I hate my blackbery my work gave me
    LOL if we all chip in a dollar here at webOS nation, in about a month we'd probably be able to buy RIM. Give it to Rod Whitby and we'd probably see a webOS phone pretty soon
    - techlover10, long time webOS fan and Pulse News supporter
    Please check out my thread at http://forums.webosnation.com/app-re...may-think.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    The valuation will probably be too high for a while yet. However, this might well be a good idea at some point. RIMM would bring a lot of expertise at making phones (of course this presumes HP wanted to get back into the phone game, which eventually webOS will need to re-enter if it is ultimately successful, but webOS re-entering that market doesn't mean HP does), a sustatial installed userbase, patents and good credibility with enterprise. The big catch I see is that for this to truly bring synergy you would need to be able to merge the BlackBerry OS and webOS. It's probably possible, but whether it's a worthwhile investment is another matter.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    How sweet would it be if Rim started putting WebOS on their phones and got rid of their crappy platform.. agh, I hate my blackbery my work gave me
    RIM is all about QNX. OS7 is a stop gap to the them there. If in another universe HP was to buy RIM, there would be no nightmarish marriage of webos and QNX. Beside, they already have a front end that can do what webos does, TAT.

RIM buys TAT, BlackBerry UI in danger of becoming awesome

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5mTLEb9wG3w[/YT]
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    RIM is all about QNX. OS7 is a stop gap to the them there. If in another universe HP was to buy RIM, there would be no nightmarish marriage of webos and QNX. Beside, they already have a front end that can do what webos does, TAT.

RIM buys TAT, BlackBerry UI in danger of becoming awesome

Click to view quoted video
    That was a pretty cool little collaboration system. However, the differences between implementing on scale in "the wild" of actual use and showing off a glitzy system in a tightly controlled demonstration environment can be pretty significant.

Moreover, we've heard the mantra of QNX and BlackBerry X for an awful long time now. I hope QNX and BBX are all they're cracked up to be, but even if they are that does not guarantee RIMM survives much longer. At some point in the not-too-distant future, if a 3rd OS alternative is really going to ascend, the candidates either merge and form a stronger OS, fall off one-by-one until all the supporters of a 3rd alternative are aligned with the last challenger standing, or some combination of the two.

If it could be done (don't know the tech specifics of either OS, so don't know how feasible it would be to merge them), but, if possible, I don't think such a scenario would be "nightmarish". BB has some nice features and services people obviously love (they're still holding onto 13% marketshare in the face of a pretty serious onslaught), if you paired that with the intuitive ease and multi-tasking of webOS, you could have a pretty good challenger.

Regardless, RIMM's future unquestiningly lie with hitting a grand slam with QNX. If it's not a blockbuster, RIMM is going to either be bought (for a lot less than their current marketshare), or just fade away.

Gargoyle