Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1.    #1  
    This has probably been posted before... saw this on PalmInfoCenter.

    I like the way the screen is in the lid. Could be quite cool for a future Treo. Bigger thumboard and the screen in the fliplid.

    OS4.1 and voice dial.
    CDMA at the moment but GSM on its way.

    I like.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. njchris's Avatar
    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    #2  
    Where is the external LCD? There is none when you close it.

    Or is it a single line LCD on the top of the phone (like the Kyocera 7135)?

    Either way, that is a big feature for me. Since I had a Samsung N400 and now the Treo 300, I am used to seeing a color screen with a picture of my choice pop up (using 3rd party app for the treo).

    Also, being able to see the speed dial entries and select them without flipping open the phone is great too, especially when driving.

    Also being able to see an instant message (I use verichat) when the lid is closed is a BIG BIG plus for me. Having the screen hidden and out of view seems like a bad idea.
  3. #3  
    I like the screen in the lid. That way you get protection and you have more space for other things. Maybe then you could fit a keypad and keyboard.

    I have to have a keyboard.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by njchris
    Where is the external LCD? There is none when you close it.

    Or is it a single line LCD on the top of the phone (like the Kyocera 7135)?
    Yeah, does look suspiciously like the new Kyo. Maybe it does have the single line but yeah, if it doesn't have anything, that would be a show-stopper for me.
  5. #5  
    Originally posted by njchris
    Also being able to see an instant message (I use verichat) when the lid is closed is a BIG BIG plus for me. Having the screen hidden and out of view seems like a bad idea.
    I couldn't agree more. Surprising that there are still designs which make you flip open to do anything. Even the sidekick was an exponentially increasing chore having to flip-open/flip-close to do practically anything.
  6. #6  
    The more I think about it the more I realize Handspring stumbled on a really great, quite simple design for their Communicator. There are better designs for a palm powered phone (like the clamshell with the screen in the lid) but for an integrated data/phone device, I really like this form factor.
  7. #7  
    I love my Treo 300 but will probably switch to the i500. I played with it at CES and liked it quite a bit.

    The big reasons for the change would be user replaceable batteries, CPU performance, and voice memo. I greatly prefer the Treo's form factor, larger screen and terrific keyboard, but the CPU and battery issues override.

    I would use the web much more often and leave it always connected, if the battery life were greater. I intend to carry several extra charged batteries all the time. IMO, one of the great benefits of these convergent devices, is that their small combined form factor provides the extra pocket space to carry those batteries. The batteries for the i500 are really small BTW.

    The i500 has a 66 MHz CPU as opposed to the Treo's 33 MHz. This should translate into significantly better web performance, given that the CPU's page rendering is the Treo's biggest web bottleneck. My Treo 300 is really very usable for web browsing right now, but the CPU upgrade should, nonetheles, make a great difference.

    On the other hand, a CDMA 1x Treo with an even better CPU (as expected for Palm OS 5,) user replaceable batteries, the Treo's current form factor, and keyboard would be preferable by a wide margin.

    Pete
  8. #8  
    Originally posted by PeteP
    The i500 has a 66 MHz CPU as opposed to the Treo's 33 MHz. This should translate into significantly better web performance, given that the CPU's page rendering is the Treo's biggest web bottleneck. My Treo 300 is really very usable for web browsing right now, but the CPU upgrade should, nonetheles, make a great difference.
    I wouldn't expect it to be twice as fast. My bottleneck is database sorting. I have a sort that takes 5 seconds. Going from a Kyo 6035 (20mhz) to a Treo 300 (33mhz) I expected that sort time to go down accordingly. With the same software on both devices I started the sort on both at the same time. The Treo finished a fraction of a second faster than the Kyocera. I expected more. Regarding web browsing I expect the bottleneck isn't the clock speed as much as the limitation of the dragonball. Even on PPC discussion groups you will read users complaining about the slowness of PIE (pocket internet explorer) and it's on a 200mhz processor. Hopefully a PalmOS5 based smartphone with an ARM processor will be a able to crunch numbers faster.
    David
  9. njchris's Avatar
    Posts
    459 Posts
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    #9  
    Originally posted by drw
    I wouldn't expect it to be twice as fast. My bottleneck is database sorting. I have a sort that takes 5 seconds. Going from a Kyo 6035 (20mhz) to a Treo 300 (33mhz) I expected that sort time to go down accordingly. With the same software on both devices I started the sort on both at the same time. The Treo finished a fraction of a second faster than the Kyocera. I expected more. Regarding web browsing I expect the bottleneck isn't the clock speed as much as the limitation of the dragonball. Even on PPC discussion groups you will read users complaining about the slowness of PIE (pocket internet explorer) and it's on a 200mhz processor. Hopefully a PalmOS5 based smartphone with an ARM processor will be a able to crunch numbers faster.
    But a lot of that is SOFTWARE or Operating system dependent. The pocket PCs with a 200mhz processor might be slow with some things because the operating system is more processor intensive (some might say bloated), so it needs faster chips.

    (That's more of an opinion..which I think to be the case because of experience......yup..that's a disclaimer..hehe)
  10. #10  
    Originally posted by drw
    I wouldn't expect it to be twice as fast. My bottleneck is database sorting. I have a sort that takes 5 seconds. Going from a Kyo 6035 (20mhz) to a Treo 300 (33mhz) I expected that sort time to go down accordingly. With the same software on both devices I started the sort on both at the same time. The Treo finished a fraction of a second faster than the Kyocera. I expected more. Regarding web browsing I expect the bottleneck isn't the clock speed as much as the limitation of the dragonball.
    I'll be very anxious to see the web performance on the i500. My past experience differs from yours, so we'll have to see.

    What dragonball limitations are you referring to, BTW? I can't think of any dragonball limitations other than clockspeed.

    Pete

Posting Permissions