Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi everyone.

i'm a WebOS enthusiast and plan to open a business based on WebOS (Soft & Hardware). Some people, with reason asked me to make this project for Android Community as there is a big market now for android and no market on WebOS (When i say no market, i intend to say we don't know the plan of HP and other manufacturer to produce new WebOS device (phone/tablet...)

Does some of you have more insight information? Do you believe fall 2012 can be a new start for WebOS?

Best

S.M.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Well, I think it's too early to tell what kind of opportunity there will be for your business, as HP hasn't really given much indication as to what their plans are for webOS apart from contributing it to open source. So unless you have a contact who can supply you with reliable inside information, I'm not sure how well you'll be able to plan your business at this stage - unless you're planning to do something like develop and sell webOS ports that run on handsets from various manufacturers - basically the Cyanogenmod approach, but for open webOS instead of for Android, and for profit rather than not-for-profit? If people are willing to void the warranty on their handsets, and your offering is priced reasonably, then I could see you building a business around that...
    Rnp and ceveret3 like this.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I believe HP is committed to open sourcing and keep supporting webOS. But investing on webOS at this stage one is definitely taking risks. However, getting into the market early will most likely get you ahead of following competitors and plus you will be in a pond with no other fishes to start unlike Android. Besides, with the coming of ACL on webOS which enables Android apps to run on webOS, webOS will overcome the deficiency of app selection and still be a platform of superior UI.
    Last edited by matchqq; 03/15/2012 at 11:57 AM.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    yes, i think the ´money´ could be in selling hardware with webOS ported on it. That is what everybody wants.. If you are the first/only one to offer this, i am sure you will make money out of it..!
    ceveret3 likes this.
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
    yes, i think the ´money´ could be in selling hardware with webOS ported on it. That is what everybody wants.. If you are the first/only one to offer this, i am sure you will make money out of it..!
    I agree!
    Sell hardware with webOS ported on it and I'll buy pretty much anything you build! And I'm betting a lot of others here will be standing in virtual line. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    +1 I'll be one of the first in line for new hardware with webOS ported too. I really hope someone designs it with a gesture solution too. Doesn't have to be a hardware gesture area - just a software solution. Can't wait to see what people do once the OS is fully released.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence92 View Post
    Hi everyone.

i'm a WebOS enthusiast and plan to open a business based on WebOS (Soft & Hardware). Some people, with reason asked me to make this project for Android Community as there is a big market now for android and no market on WebOS (When i say no market, i intend to say we don't know the plan of HP and other manufacturer to produce new WebOS device (phone/tablet...)

Does some of you have more insight information? Do you believe fall 2012 can be a new start for WebOS?

Best

S.M.
    ....I am interested. Is your business already setup? Do you have
    any Android devices available for purchase?

Peterdev
    Count me in.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    As long as there is a gesture area, can't stand the touchpad version of webos
  11.    #11  
    Thanks guys.

I can't give you much information now about my business. but i can tell this;

WebOS & my brand will stand for the people. i believe we are living not an economic crisis but a civilization crisis and to succeed, we have to bring those changes into Post PC era.

iPad, iPhone were a little revolution but i don't believe they are fully Post PC. They are just individuals devices with a Cloud Solution. We want you to buy, consume Apple. If not give all your privacy to Google and Android.

WebOS is ,i think, the only platform that has the potential to provide a consistent individualized experience, across any device. Settings, apps, and media content available via immediately the cloud or your server with your login credentials. It will relieve a pain that most people don't realize they have.

The strategy of my vision has three goals:
    Replace people as the main role and not the major
    Provide a truly unified solution to everyone with high security and privacy
    Any electronic device can be tomorrow post pc

peterdev, i'll be staffing in the next future Devs. So don't hesitate to sent me your Summary.
    I am looking at the moment for investors and will know in the next 3 months if i launch the company.

With the few words i did gave you about my future business, what do you think? did it give you interest? do you think there is a big market for WebOS?

best

S.M.
    ceveret3 likes this.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    IMHO there is no such thing as “Post-PC”, but I guess for business stuff it has to sound buzzy

No one in his/her right mind would use something that was designed to be used by fat fingers with something as precise and evolved as a mouse/keyboard-combination and enjoy it

Could still be that I didn't understand you right …
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    As long as there is a gesture area, can't stand the touchpad version of webos
    it seems there are a lot of you who want gesture solution. I have to say, i never read about it before because i was focusing more the vision.
    May i ask you to make me a quick resume about that point (video, forum or screenshot where i can understand better the request.

Best
    S.M.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmor_ View Post
    IMHO there is no such thing as “Post-PC”, but I guess for business stuff it has to sound buzzy

No one in his/her right mind would use something that was designed to be used by fat fingers with something as precise and evolved as a mouse/keyboard-combination and enjoy it

Could still be that I didn't understand you right …
    Hi Filmor,

I'ld like to thanks you for your opinion.
    From 2007 to 2011, Microsoft OS share market passed from 97 to 50%.
    There is clearly some big changes. As you, i don't believe PC is dead but i see it more as server or big workstation.
    some will quote "trucks'
    Maybe you have big fingers, but Post PC is not about touchscreen.
    In few months, you might also control it by voice, some already test the iris and eye control. you already have microsoft kinect who work by gesture.

I love PC world but i do accept the change and i am happy my little son can play with the POST PC.
    i did crash several case on my keyboard since 1 years. With his touchscreen device he can call his grand parents which my mum doesn't know how to use a mouse (really i passed 2 hours to explain but she still have problem)

There are some change, we can believe in it and try to make it better or don't accept and let the market drive the way we have to use post PC.

Hope to read you back Filmor.

PS: excuse my poor english, i'm a french guy.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    From 2007 to 2011, Microsoft OS share market passed from 97 to 50%.
    Where? And where does your data come from?

In few months, you might also control it by voice, some already test the iris and eye control. you already have microsoft kinect who work by gesture.
    That's all nice and pretty, but the reason we're using keyboards to write texts is not, that we couldn't do it otherwise but because it is efficient. Far more efficient than anything I could imagine so far. And text input should be at least half of the usage of everything that can count itself as a computer that is worked with.

But I think “work” might not be your target group here, so nvm
  16.    #16  
    Hi Filmor

Data are from asymco.com
    you make me think of my dev friend who always work with the terminal and can build a server just by command line. I admire those skills. Unfortunately, i am not one of them, like most of the people.

When i start my discussion, it was not saying PC was dead or even keyboard. I'm simply interested in WebOS as it can be a real competitor for next future. i believe you hope the same as me. we also can work on webos with physical keyboard.

i'll be happy if we can have a discussion apart from this one and i'll be happy if you can share your opinion on how WebOS can be a success on this discussion.
    What makes you a member of WebOS (apart devs jobs) ? what are you Hoping for WebOS?
    Do you think it can compete? What does WebOS needs to rock?

i'm really willing to have some experience return as you are already working on Webos.

S.M.
    Last edited by lawrence92; 03/16/2012 at 09:32 AM.
    I believe there will be too many "free" ways to port webOS to any device you want making it a bit difficult to sell the service for a living.
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    So we might answer you better, it would be interesting to know what you know about webOS already. Have you had prior experience with webOS? What devices do you possess?

Are you in/from Saarbrucken, Mumbai or Belgrade?
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    If you need help, I would be willing to volunteer a few hours a week.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    So we might answer you better, it would be interesting to know what you know about webOS already. Have you had prior experience with webOS? What devices do you possess?

Are you in/from Saarbrucken, Mumbai or Belgrade?
    Hi Goyena

I don't possess any WebOS device. I have play with the pre and the Touchpad by the past but never had the chance to bought one.
    Let me be clear, 2 years ago, i was an apple addict, eyes closed on my environment. everything comes to a end.
    I start being a webos enthusiast when i've seen HP having problem with it. i did always follow WebOS because it was and it is according to me the next generation OS. It miss the vision. HP did came to early on the market without any add value from the others.

I've read a lot about it and watch many video on the web. i belong the dev community even if i am not a dev and read much of the ressource on the website. Clearly i do not know everything about this platform and i do learn each day more about it. And each day more, i like it more.

My purpose is to create something big with all the community something that gives us the control.

Best

S.M
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast