Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #21  
    By the way, can someone advice me.

I ve been said by some people that Jon Rubinstein was starting a new business. According to them, some of the WebOS team, just fired by HP, are going to Jon's new Business. Do you know if those information are right and can we believe Jon is going to established a new WebOS brand.
    Last edited by lawrence92; 03/16/2012 at 12:51 PM.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Getting webOS to work on any other hardware would be very difficult, as everyone who knew webOS well enough to port webOS to different hardware has eiher left HP or were laid off by HP. For example, HP has laid off the entire WiFi and Bluetooth teams. Because of this, I don't think HP is serious about webOS, and are content in just letting it slowly die.

By the way, I haven't heard anything about a new business from Jon.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence92 View Post
    By the way, can someone advice me.

I ve been said by some people that Jon Rubinstein was starting a new business. According to them, some of the WebOS team, just fired by HP, are going to Jon's new Business. Do you know if those information are right and can we believe Jon is going to established a new WebOS brand.
    I would say that you should buy and use one or all of webOS devices and also touchstones to get more familiar with the hardware and software. I say all devices because because there are differences in hardware and software that some people wish would be brought back.

I haven't any clue as to wether Jon Ruby is starting a company, but if they are I wish they could find a way to bring back the palm name
    Let me lay some facts down real fast:
    1. You aren't the first person to come to this site and bring this idea up. I believe someone else posted something very similar a short time ago. His idea was to come out w/ a new phone & put Open WebOS on it.
    **You Should be Emailing Him***

2. There are a lot of people here that can offer up different services to you, whether thats: helping w/ Patents, Graphic Design, Specifications, Website & Blogging to spread the word, Helping find funding (possibly through kickstarter), Someone smart enough to put WebOS on a phone, Somoene w/ background in putting something like this together?

3. I would honestly recommend for you to do this:
    Email everyone here that is willing to offer up their services & create a group (maybe even use google groups) I don't know. But the whole point is. This is not a project for 1 person. Many people must be involved. If you truly want to pursue this - you need to find the others that are willing to donate their time to help move the project along, while you & maybe someone else organize it.

** I have the ability to Graphic design (photoshop, sketchup, and more) I also have the ability to draw up exact specifictions (PLANS) using Autocad. Which will be very important.** I then have the ability to run a website & I have the balls to contact people I never heard of and create meetings.

Now, that you know what I can do.. U need to go out and find out what everyone else can do. Set up a plan & put it in motion. The plan should be a 6 month plan - preparing to use WebOS on a phone that you create.. I would almost garuntee that if this idea/plan was brought to HP & we were able to raise money on Kickstarter, they would help us run early versions of the WebOS device in our phones in order to get the creaks worked out before all is said and done..

....Something like that....

So let's stop asking ( how, Who ) and crap like that and do something. I'm on board.. But are you?
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    One thing I feel I need to add here re raising funds via Kickstarter. Kickstarter is good once you already have a working prototype and are looking to raise the funds for mass production, because you can get a good amount of people who will put up money now that you can then send a device to when it's ready - basically it's pre-selling the devices.

In a case like this however where a lot of money needs to be spent initially to develop the device, Kickstarter wont work, as it's unlikely you will be able to get enough people to pledge to recoup both the production costs AND development costs. So you're still going to need an angel investor (or 2 or 3) that will believe in the idea enough to front you the R&D costs.

It's not impossible if you know the right people though. So, the question is, do you or anyone else on here who is interested in being a part of this actually know the right people? I know a couple people that are in that line of business, but they are very conservative and will not invest in a project like this where there is so much uncertainty, and so much time and money has to be expended before something concrete emerges. So, does anyone have investor contacts who are more....adventurous???
  6.    #26  
    hi marcedhk & Zukny

thanks for all your feedback and from the feedback of the community in gnl.

i can't tell to much at the moment but can say i am already in contact with HP board, manufacturers and some investors since fews month.

i have the chance i found several high skills persons that want to be part of my project and quite their jobs in major company to come in this project. and i'm sure (zukny ) i can find more and more people motivated.

and this is what i like here and with WebOS.

please be sure i'll make point as the project go further.

concerning kickstarter, i am not a US resident but even if i ask a US friend to start register on kickstarter, i believe i have to bring a concept of proof before.

thanks

S.M.
    minipot likes this.
    My interest is, currently, in the phone area. I've enjoyed my Frankenpre 2, but I would like to have something else on Sprint.

I use my Touchpad daily for work and for pleasure. I would like to have more apps (specifically a usable word processor with spellcheck), and music processing/video processing.

Keep us informed -
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    One thing I feel I need to add here re raising funds via Kickstarter. Kickstarter is good once you already have a working prototype and are looking to raise the funds for mass production, because you can get a good amount of people who will put up money now that you can then send a device to when it's ready - basically it's pre-selling the devices.
    Ok So we have all decided that:
    A - A working prototype is needed
    and
    B - A Concept is needed.

Let's get started on the Concept.
    1. Phone or Tablet - I think the vote will overwhelmingly become Phone (unlocked-style) or (Small carrier - Virgin)
    2. Slab phone or Keyboard - I honestly think the chances of a slab phone in the future are much more likely to come from other companies (Samsung etc.) Not saying they will create one.. But I am saying. If webOS achieves it's goal and another company picks up OpenWebOS then they are probably going to make a slab phone

So what should this phone be? - Probably the important stuff that may be lost: Gestures / Keyboard

3. Size of phone? ( I vote for same exact screen size as the Iphone )
    4. SD card slot - YES?
    5. Retina Display - Yes?
    6. Casing - (Not Plastic) I actually really like the new rubber feel form factor & I don't see a reason to change it.
    7. Pebble form - For a long time the Pre's have had the pebble form.. That should be changed

Once these things are determined, the Cost can then be determined.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukny View Post
    Ok So we have all decided that:
    A - A working prototype is needed
    and
    B - A Concept is needed.

Let's get started on the Concept.
    So I've been thinking about this for a bit, and have a suggestion on how we could approach design decisions such as the ones you've brought up.

Time and time again we've heard webOS fans give the same reason for why they prefer webOS over iOS and Android - the way the multitasking works with the cards interface. It seems that this is the key feature which sets webOS apart, and that if webOS is to become a contender, then its devices should try and leverage this strength in the best way they can. If they're choosing webOS because the multitasking is better, then we need to give the phone features that will capitalize on this by making it easier and faster for them to accomplish the individual tasks that they are switching between.

I don't have an iPhone, but do have an iPod Touch that I use almost everyday for on the go email, playing audio files, and light web browsing. It has the same 3.5 inch screen as the iPhone, and to be honest it is too small. Browsing a website involves an awful lot of scrolling and zooming, clicking on links can be a bit imprecise, dragging the slider to cue up the exact segment of an audio track I need can be a bit of a bear. Bottom line is the small size of the screen impedes productivity. Would a slightly larger (say 4 inch) screen improve this significantly? I don't know. But is is something that we should look at very carefully as this is important to our target market.

We need to also consider this when thinking about the keyboard. Yes, the masses have voted for no physical keyboard, but is this really because they are fine with typing onscreen, or is that simply the price they have to pay in order to be able to have an iPhone? There is a coolness factor associated with onscreen keyboards in general and with the iPhone in particular, and since Apple doesn't give you an option and Android phones are often looking to attract those who would otherwise buy iPhones, then there is really no other choice. The question to ask here is whether if an iPhone came out that had a slide out physical keyboard without adding significantly to the thickness of the device, would significant numbers of people buy it? if the answer to that question is yes, and if it is indeed true that most people will type faster and make less mistakes using a slide out keyboard, then we need to think carefully about the issue.

Thinking about these issues also makes me realize something else. This cannot be considered to just be a hardware project, but must also be a major software project as well - and I don't mean device drivers. What I do mean is that the standard apps that webOS 3 shipped with do let us down here and there with respect to productivity (eg the clumsy cut and paste function), and we must assume that this will also be the case with open webOS 1.0. As such, I believe it will be very important for improvements and enhancements to be made to the standard apps to ensure that the core productivity functionality of the device is solid.

That's enough for now - would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on these issues....
    Would a slightly larger (say 4 inch) screen improve this significantly? I don't know. But is is something that we should look at very carefully as this is important to our target market.
    I thought about this after I wrote my post.. The Evo is about a 4 inch screen. I'm not a huge supporter, but it seems the rest of the world has come to be a fan of that screen size in a phone. So I would be on board w/ that.

(How to implement a 4 inch screen w/ keyboard)
    1. Slide out from the side?
    2. Slide out from the bottom?
    3. Flip open?

Thinking about these issues also makes me realize something else. This cannot be considered to just be a hardware project, but must also be a major software project as well - and I don't mean device drivers. What I do mean is that the standard apps that webOS 3 shipped with do let us down here and there with respect to productivity (eg the clumsy cut and paste function), and we must assume that this will also be the case with open webOS 1.0. As such, I believe it will be very important for improvements and enhancements to be made to the standard apps to ensure that the core productivity functionality of the device is solid.

That's enough for now - would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on these issues....
    Couldn't agree more, But...... That is one of those situations where I think we will learn a lot about it as the product is becoming available. Enyo was just released.. I'm hoping that in the coming months (w/ WebOS also giving out the code for 3.5) that we will see people move toward making these improvements already.

We talk a lot about software needs (Derek) has covered a lot of MUCH NEEDED functions on the front of the website.. Another needed function is to have two Cards open Side by Side.. ..

Anyway, I do believe getting involved in the software side of things (this early) is probably not the right way to go, but instead wait for a prototype to be ready & for HP to give us WebOS 1.0 as an early advance to try to figure things out then.

I can begin working up a 4.0 Screen w/ slide out keyboard, but honestly. I think us WebOS fans have already figured out what the prototype should be like .. I've seen my dream webOS phone actually by one member on the forums: gbp

Next question would be..

Where can we get these products to build the prototype? anyone know?
    Evo too big. Keyboard slider along with onscreen keyboard no bigger than iphone screen size.

And I don't believe that people are crazy about virtual keyboard only phones and giant phones. That's what the manufacturers give them.
  12.    #32  
    Hi Guys, i get some sleep & come back on the website & have so much response. it is really great.

here are some of my opinion

@Zukni

First step = Getting 3 prototype (phone/tablet/Home server (apple TV like)

@ Marcedhk

Keyboard is a function. I don't believe everyone needs it. I have the apple keyboard for my iPad and i am the only one to use it at home.
    We have to look more from an macro point of view. i am please people wantsalready to speak about the case but the real meaning here is to look over the Vision.
    Tomorrow, if we succeed, others manufacturer can bring new case, new forms…

By the way, i'm already looking after different manufacturer. from archos, the cheapest, to meridiist, an exclusive brand (i use to work with them before)

Our goals is not to decide the forms, but what it is inside and so mostly the software.

@Zukni
    When i read "Retina", i see 960 x 640. I say NO to the retina (326ppi) but yes to 960x640
    Manufacturer can so produce 3,5 to 5 inch phone. i did not make the math but it goes from 326 ppi to 260 ppi. The consumer can have the choice on size/keyboard and so one.

I apologize i can't go further in my explanation, 'cause it is part of my business vision.
    Do you agree with me on resolution more than ppi?

Zukni can you tell me more about gdb's phone?

I want to meet also Derek. 2 card slides by slides is needed and it will be cool to work all of us on that because my team works on that too at the moment. I think we have a total different approach on this and that will be fun to share them.

@ Laingman
    What i learn from my past is that we never know what the consumer want. in fact, sometimes you might love something and think it can work (webos for example) and for some reason it will not succeed.
    the best is having the choice and WebOS as an open source platform is able to provide that.
    for me for example; i prefer no keyboard at all. and have a bluetooth keyboard. a friend of me still owns a blackberry because he needs to write down much thing with his keyboard.

We can bring the two world. but before that we need to improve WebOS to WebOS 4.0.

@ Marcedhk

I've definitively the need to open a project on google and add person motivated to go further. With a simple NDA, we could start working on all of this. I could give you more insight on our members and vision.
    I'm sure you'll get more motivated than you are already.

Best

S.M.
    Last edited by lawrence92; 03/17/2012 at 08:20 AM.
    I want a landscape slider.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I want a landscape slider.
    just sent you a PM.

Peterdev
    I honestly think most people would rather have a landscape slider instead of a regular slider.. But a slider is still essential..

I used to love this palm device though .. well Sony Clie or something.. Where it opened up like a clam shell & the part that it opened by was a rotating camera.. So that way you could have the screen closed while recording..and still be able to adjust the camera angle.. Had awesome video/sound quality. Perfect for recording lectures.

http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2003/...ony_clie_e.jpg

... don't think many people would be interested in developing a phone w/ that kind of concept though.

Anyway back to the topic..If this is going to move forward someone needs to read the comments from this discussion:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3309218

maybe contact all parties that seem interested and get their email. Once enough emails & people are recruited a road map needs to be laid out off site (possibly using gmail) cause it has great google documents, and groups .. and then ofcourse there is skype.. multiple conferences where we all get together and try to figure that road map out.

I don't see a lot getting done on these forums to be honest..
    I'm very interested in this, but all I do is build things.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    I'm very interested in this, but all I do is build things.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Thanks Daughain,

I am happy to read your message but please do not say "but all i do is"
    The past belongs to the Engineer, 20 years ago being a engineer was something you were proud off and the community was expecting a lot of you. that was saying, the man build things.
    Today, our economy has took a so bad turn. yesterday we pray the engineers, today we pray the finance.

I would love to see more builders. this is a chains and believe me we needs builders. please tell us on what you work and what did you build before?

best

S.M.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence92 View Post
    Thanks guys.

I can't give you much information now about my business. but i can tell this;

WebOS & my brand will stand for the people. i believe we are living not an economic crisis but a civilization crisis and to succeed, we have to bring those changes into Post PC era.

iPad, iPhone were a little revolution but i don't believe they are fully Post PC. They are just individuals devices with a Cloud Solution. We want you to buy, consume Apple. If not give all your privacy to Google and Android.

WebOS is ,i think, the only platform that has the potential to provide a consistent individualized experience, across any device. Settings, apps, and media content available via immediately the cloud or your server with your login credentials. It will relieve a pain that most people don't realize they have.

The strategy of my vision has three goals:
    Replace people as the main role and not the major
    Provide a truly unified solution to everyone with high security and privacy
    Any electronic device can be tomorrow post pc

peterdev, i'll be staffing in the next future Devs. So don't hesitate to sent me your Summary.
    I am looking at the moment for investors and will know in the next 3 months if i launch the company.

With the few words i did gave you about my future business, what do you think? did it give you interest? do you think there is a big market for WebOS?

best

S.M.
    Yes there is a market for webos but unless u do good enough advertising it'll only be for existing webos users.

Also I was just cooking up some designs in blender based on sketches I did would u be interested in a look if I got them up in around 1-2 days time?

If u make this buiessness uk available?
    Quote Originally Posted by minipot View Post
    Yes there is a market for webos but unless u do good enough advertising it'll only be for existing webos users.

Also I was just cooking up some designs in blender based on sketches I did would u be interested in a look if I got them up in around 1-2 days time?

If u make this buiessness uk available?
    Wondering if we should do a design competition for this? Not sure if lawrence92 would be interested, but it might be a great way to get webOS users involved this early in the game! Also it would give Lawrence multiple people who could then work on the design 3d renderings once the final one is placed in.

Maybe even taking two or three of the best designs and incorporate them all into 1?????
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    My design was too big a file for it to cope. As far as the physical keyboard goes I would have a Bluetooth keyboard that would be small enough to clip onto the device so people have a choice of physical or virtual.

Ill Dow basic sketch of my idea to try to make the file size compatibale
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast