1.    #1  
    OK, here's a Friday afternoon funny for the gang. While on an airport train in Vegas just now, I noticed a gentleman (about 60, I'd say) with one of the Danger Hiptop/T-Mobile Sidekick devices. I noticed that he also had a Nextel phone, and felt compelled to approach (feeling smug and superior with my SINGLE device), and wanted to know why he had BOTH things. We bantered back and forth - he said he needed to have voice and data at the same time, and that T-Mobile's signal coverage was not great, and those among others were reasons why he used two devices. I said that he should really think about a Treo, amd that Sprint's coverage was pretty strong, the device is great, etc etc. He then told me he was the President of Danger. I left him alone after that.
    Moral - you never know who someone is, based solely on the device(s) they carry. Be not so quick to judge.
    (posted via the Treo at the Vegas airport)
    You didn't do anything wrong, nor did he have any reason to feel slighted. The sidekick (I thought) was targeted at a younger crowd. I would like to ask him why they chose a proprietary OS and if they planned to follow up with a color cdma version (just to make small talk - not that I would be interested).

BTW: did you go to CES? If so, what did you see that caught your eye?
    David
  3.    #3  
    he said they have color planned and CDMA as a possibility (I just talked more with him at the gate - very nice guy). CES? Nope - was actually here for other work stuff. I wanted to go, but no chance.
    I would have said ... "well NO WONDER you have to carry it!" Then I would have wished him best of luck with his product <smugly> and walked off. LOL ...
    Why is this message in the Treo 300 forum? Put it in the General forum and you'll get a better audience.
    This is perhaps a question for the moderators. I posted a message in this forum yesterday morning, and immediately realized that it was more appropriate elsewhere. So, after determining that there was no option to move a new thread to a different forum, I copied my text and chose the option to remove the thread, reportedly available if no replies have been posted. But I clearly lacked the authority to remove the thread I started. So I gave up. Why can't a thread initiator remove a thread that no one else has replied to?
    Peter Campbell * www.krazy.com
  7.    #7  
    I posted this here cuz I wanted to. I don't need a bigger audience - just thought I'd share that nugget with friendlys here.
    that is a pretty cool story i must say.

Don't worry about forum placements - i just fixed it. It is better to be more generalized than more specific...

Did you tell him about TreoCentral ?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    The Danger Hiptop is a pretty cool device, but is really hampered by T-Mobile service, data plans and coverage. It is a shame that they haven't been picked up by a decent US-based GSM carrier. Oops. I forgot. There is no decent US-based GSM carrier!

If T-Mobile, Cingular, and AT&T ever got their collective acts together, CDMA and Qualcomm would have a serious problem.
    This moving of posts to other forums against the thread originators request seems silly to me.

There are plenty of posts, which may seem appropriate to some as also relevant to, say, Treo 270 owners.

But the fact is the person posted may not be interested in soliciting the opinions/comments of Treo 270 owners, or 90 owners.

Treo 270s, 90s, 300s, etc, are not the same. The service makes a big difference, more than on just solving technical issues.

It's one thing to move a post from a general forum into a forum for a specific topic, or from one specific topic forum to another, but it's just annoying to force people's posts from an appropriate specific topic forum to a general topic forum.

If owners of other models are sooooo interested in the happenings of Treo 300 users, quirks which may or may not be Treo 300 specific (and may not be able to be ascertained until checking is done with other 300 owners), then maybe they should just read the 300 forum!

Sorry if this seems like a rant (I guess it is). Just annoying to repeatedly have people coming into a forum and telling posters they're posting in the wrong forum, when the vast majority of people who read that forum want it there.
    Last edited by jshrieve; 01/12/2003 at 11:28 AM.
    Love the story! Thanks for sharing
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Dude,

Stop being so grumpy. This is not a big deal. I see Treo 300 posts whether I like to or not. Why? I always use the "New Posts" feature instead of jumping from one forum to the next.

Originally posted by jshrieve
    This moving of posts to other forums against the thread originators request seems silly to me.

There are plenty of posts, which may seem appropriate to some as also relevant to, say, Treo 270 owners.

But the fact is the person posted may not be interested in soliciting the opinions/comments of Treo 270 owners, or 90 owners.

Treo 270s, 90s, 300s, etc, are not the same. The service makes a big difference, more than on just solving technical issues.

It's one thing to move a post from a general forum into a forum for a specific topic, or from one specific topic forum to another, but it's just annoying to force people's posts from an appropriate specific topic forum to a general topic forum.

If owners of other models are sooooo interested in the happenings of Treo 300 users, quirks which may or may not be Treo 300 specific (and may not be able to be ascertained until checking is done with other 300 owners), then maybe they should just read the 300 forum!

Sorry if this seems like a rant (I guess it is). Just annoying to repeatedly have people coming into a forum and telling posters they're posting in the wrong forum, when the vast majority of people who read that forum want it there.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Dem's fightin' words!

Actually, I think there's a valid point here. The two devices are designed for two TOTALLY different audiences.

If you're a hardcore user who demands a true PIM interface along with the data/voice plans and wants the ability to customize to their hearts desire, then you're gonna get the Treo and damn the dent in your wallet!

If you're like me: poor new-dad who has no need for a phone but really could use the data plans (I'm deaf so can't use the phone part anyway) and only wants a functioning unit, then the Sidekick is for you.

The Sidekick is a great tool for the price it is offered at. You can't really beat $50 (after rebates) and $40/mo unlimited data and some voice minutes.
    I agree with the other posts that the two devices are targeting different audiences. I've played with the Sidekick a bit in CompUSA and think it's pretty cool. You have to give them points for physical design... its very ingenious.

On the subject of T-Mobile coverage, this is true with any carrier. Not enough people do the homework up front to determine if a carrier has good coverage in their area. I was a long time Verizon customer and recently changed to T-Mobile, and I couldn't be happier. They have newer equipment and provide excellent coverage in the metro area where I spend 95% of my time. Verizon had a ton of dead zones and holes, but they cover a wider geography. I like the better metro coverage better.

Just do your homework.

And you also can't beat the Sidekick's unlimited data for $39.99 plan.
    Mike Collins
    pdaPhoneHome, Home of the Treo 600 FAQ
    My brother and I both had the sidekick for there 14 day trial period. Its a cool toy but the treo puts it to shame. If you like control then the treo is it. If you guys have any doubts go toDanger Problems . We have forums talking about new things, there fourms are basically talking about how bad the sidekick is.