1. rlr
    Has anyone seen this?

openwebdevice.com

(sorry for not posting an actual link, apparently I don't have enough posts here to be able to do that yet.)

As I read over their site, I couldn't help but think about webOS. I'm interested in hearing the webOS community's take on it. According to their FAQ, they are "currently negotiating with several OEMs" regarding devices. Could this be the path to a new webOS phone (ie. if their OS runs on a device, could webOS run on it as well?). Or, is this something that will lure away even more webOS users?

When Brendan Eich was asked how it differed from webOS on Twitter, his response was:

Still no core webOS src on [github.com]. We haven't had time or cause for Enyo. Having fun building non-O-O JSJSJS/$HTML$/$CSS$ $apps$

...which makes it sound almost as if they couldn't wait for webOS to be completely released and therefore went and did their own thing.
    Here the link. Open Web Device

From their FAQ
    The heart of the system is Mozilla’s Boot2Gecko, which has always been open and opensource. The Open Web Device is also using a Linux Kernel (the same one used by Android devices) which is also open. This is a 100% open project where, for instance, operators and OEMs can actively and openly contribute to the code, instead of Mozilla developing internally and making code drops available.
    But of course you don't get cards or any of the other 'goodies' of webOS. For those we will have to wait on HP.

EDIT - This could probably be added to the other Boot2Gecko thread.
    Last edited by johncc; 02/27/2012 at 11:56 AM.
  3. rlr
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    But of course you don't get cards or any of the other 'goodies' of webOS. For those we will have to wait on HP.

Assuming that it's a functional OS, maybe people could port it to some 'nice' hardware in preparation for the availability of open webOS?
    Agreed. I admittedly haven't read into openwebdevice much, but I'm really curious what it offers over webOS, other than it being 1.) completely available today, and 2.) in talks with device makers. IOW, come September when Open webOS is completely available, why would I pick one over the other (assuming I could run them both on the same h/w)?

Also, should this post be moved to a different forum, like maybe "webOS open source general discussion"? If so, could a moderator do that? Sorry for posting it here in that case...