Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I was speaking to a manager at a Cingular store today and we were discussing how wonderful the Treo 270 is. He told me he has not purchased one because he is waiting for the 64MB 3D version called the Treo 280g. He didn't know of the release date but he thought it would be worth waiting for. Has anyone else heard of this??

Kirby
    3D, 64 MB? now aren't we getting a bit wishy here?

i have not heard anything towards this effect.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Er, um, I think that person at Cingular may have been pulling your leg. The "g" has meant graffiti in the past and Handspring has said they're going away from that. I would love 64MB, though. What is "3D"? What else did he say it did?
    Got Darts?
    Originally posted by Exciter
    I was speaking to a manager at a Cingular store today and we were discussing how wonderful the Treo 270 is. He told me he has not purchased one because he is waiting for the 64MB 3D version called the Treo 280g. He didn't know of the release date but he thought it would be worth waiting for. Has anyone else heard of this??

Kirby
    I have not heard of this rumor. Some of the info he gave you just doesn't sound right. If this new 280g does have 64MB and 3D, then it's a huge leap forward in technology. . . it makes no sense to number it 280. It should be like Treo 360 or something. Plus the 'g' in 280g probably means it will be graffiti based and by having a 'g' version, then there must be a 'k' version, or else they would've just named it the Treo 280. I think it's highly unlikely that Handspring would go back to making a graffiti and keyboard version of the same product. And 3D? I think 3D at this stage of the game is complete overkill.

I personally would not wait for a better device to come out. Everything coming out in the next 6 months is better in certain ways but worse in others. I think it'll be a year before there is something better in every way.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    The guy appeared unsure of the model name (280g), but sure seemed positive there was a new release just around the corner.

Kirby
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I hope it comes with those red & blue glasses so we can see the 3D treo!
    actually, i thought our 300 WAS 3d. doesn't it have length, width, and height? beyond that, what could 3d possibly be on a phone?? projecting a little image of george jetson shouting "it's your mother" when someone calls??
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    I bet he meant 3G!
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Perhaps he said "3G", but it sounded like "3D". He had an accent and was a bit difficult to understand.

Kirby
    I find it hard to believe they would leak new information to floor clerks (apologies to all floor clerks).
    I don't know about you but I am hoping that this clerk is wrong. If indeed they are coming out with a 64MB version this soon after their 300 launch, it probably means that the ONLY update it to the memory....which is good....but not entirely what I would hope for.

If they stoop to this level (ala all computer companies) of making minor upgrades only to make profits, I'll definitely punch out.

64MB would be pretty cool though.....however, I still have 11MB left on my 300
    I posted under discussion/article, but I want to share this information.

Today, I went to buy a Treo 270 in one Retail store and was told that it seems like discontinued. We may see new treo comming up pretty soon. (I want smaller treo with OS 5, double density, bluetooth and SD!)
    Originally posted by aarons12
    actually, i thought our 300 WAS 3d. doesn't it have length, width, and height? beyond that, what could 3d possibly be on a phone?? projecting a little image of george jetson shouting "it's your mother" when someone calls??
    You are underestimating the combined genius of Handspring/Sprint:

By 3D the clerk meant that the caller on the other end is transported through the phone and leans out, through the Treo screen, into your position within the space/time continuum, and vice-versa. A little faith, please.

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
    nate - cool idea. i figure that's at least one more generation of treo down the line, though
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    Bottom line is there is no Treo coming up soon--you'd see it on the FCC website because they have to post information on it there long before it is sold to the public. Sorry to burst the bubble.
    Bottom line is there is no Treo coming up soon

Think you could be modestly inccorrect KRam although I am quick to add that I don't have any inside information. I am convinced that Hand is in the process of rebadging the Treo 270 for TMobile, AT&T and perhaps Cingular. Logically in addition to changing the branding they are tinkering with the specs a bit. Maybe they are offering additional ram as an option.

My justification for this opinion is as follows:
    1) The price of the Treo 270 is currently inflated. Last I looked on c/net only Hand and Staples offered ot at $499. Everyone else including Amazon were charging more. It certainly doesn't look like Hand is motivated to sell as many Treo 270s as possible.
    2) I believe the reason for this is because they are building inventory for the US gsm suppliers.
    3) Hand's stated marketing plan was to develop more Sprint type relationships. In a press release I say, Hand mentioned that they were working very closely with TMobile. I think new models will come out with modest differences so the FCC approval will not be required. Perhaps the primary changes will be programing changes to make the Treo work more easily on each of the networks.

Wonder if they need fcc approval if they add a 66 mz dragonball instead of a 33 mz? Any thoughts?
    Originally posted by rvwink

Wonder if they need fcc approval if they add a 66 mz dragonball instead of a 33 mz? Any thoughts?
    I don't know the rules, but I wouldn't think that would have to be tested.
    Intresting thoughts on the minor updates - I don't know much about them, if they will happen etc - but we should see the new treo this spring or early summer - with FCC info a couple? of months before final release...

How much can Handspring change in the current Treo? Other than the 66 MHZ dragonball, and a high res screen there is very little they could change on the current Treo withotu haveing to redesign all the internals... and even using the 66 mhz processor, they would probably have to redesign things..
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I would be surprised if there is no new products released from Handspring this year though.

Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Bottom line is there is no Treo coming up soon--you'd see it on the FCC website because they have to post information on it there long before it is sold to the public. Sorry to burst the bubble.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Bottom line is there is no Treo coming up soon--you'd see it on the FCC website because they have to post information on it there long before it is sold to the public.
    If handspring is developing something totally new, that's right. But if new treo comes up with newer OS, SD and same style, it would not be on FCC website, I guess.

Well, the bottom line is ... we don't know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast