Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    What is going to happen when the, once plentiful, supply of webOS hardware runs out? I saw this post from Rod a while back and it got my thinking....

How many of us have ridiculous stockpiles of webOS gear? (Also, is anyone else jealous of the Touchpad Go in Rod's picture? I am!)

I currently have:

4 x Sprint Pre (One is a launch day Pre, and it still works reasonably well)
    2 x Verizon Pixi Plus
    2 x Unlocked Pre 2
    3 x ATT Black Veer (I bring one of these with me whenever I think I might damage or lose a Pre 3)
    2 x ATT White Veer
    2 x ATT Black Pre 3 (One is my daily phone, and I coddle it)
    1 x 16 GB Touchpad
    3 x 32 GB Touchpad
    2 x ATT Touchpad 4G (One of these is used daily)
    1 x 64 GB Touchpad (White)

What do y'all have hidden away?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    my stockpile consists of a Pre+.

Not sure, but yours might be called obsession, not stockpile...
    I would call it hoarding. We all need to help you clean out.

I have a 16GB TouchPad, two Verizon Pre 2's, three Verizon Pre +'s and a Pixi +.
    sledge007 and bradmeister1 like this.
    I think I'm down to

3 sprint pixis
    4 sprint pres (2 are for parts)
    1 at&t pre3
    2 at&t veers 1 black, 1 white
    1 32gb touchpad

Miss my pre2 but made over 130 on it so I'm happy, did 6 com board swaps Franken pres. 4 pixi plus swaps.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    holy crap you people have a lot
    all i have is a Pre 2 and 3 batteries in varying conditions

care to share? xD
    a pre- a backup pre- & a 16g touchpad
    i'm gonna see some of you guys on Hoarders soon. That or one of those shows about militias creating gun stockpiles for the end of hte world.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Jeez, people, no wonder webOS never took off-- you guys bought all the hardware.

:P

I have 2 TouchPad 32G, a Pre-, Pre+, Pre 2. The TouchPads were both purchased together right after the Fire Sale started (unfortunately, the second one has been sent to HP and came back replaced, so I no longer have the brother-sister pair .. not that that matters too much, they're all siblings, right? but mine WERE back-to-back serial #s.. sigh) and the phones all purchased shortly after the release of Enyo to the phones.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Pre-, frankenpre, and still in box pre2 for backup, one 16 gig touchpad. Thinking of buying a pre3
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Pre-, frankenpre, and still in box pre2 for backup, one 16 gig touchpad. Thinking of buying a pre3
    If you are going to get one, you should probably act quickly....the ebay supply looks like it is starting to dry up. The pre 3 is a wonderful device, I highly recommend it!
    Some of you have like 6 or 7 years worth of phones. LTE should be pretty common by the end of the year. Not to mention didn't Verizon claim that no new smartphone would be without LTE? Thus i guess my question is in a year or two don't you think at least the 3G phones like the veer and pre and pixi will just feel truly slow and outdated? That is will they satisfy you then?
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Some of you have like 6 or 7 years worth of phones. LTE should be pretty common by the end of the year. Not to mention didn't Verizon claim that no new smartphone would be without LTE? Thus i guess my question is in a year or two don't you think at least the 3G phones like the veer and pre and pixi will just feel truly slow and outdated? That is will they satisfy you then?
    Satisfies me now when I could have had an evo. For real tough, if web browsing on phones was important to me I would not have this small screen phone
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmeister1 View Post
    If you are going to get one, you should probably act quickly....the ebay supply looks like it is starting to dry up. The pre 3 is a wonderful device, I highly recommend it!
    Could I take a pre3 to simple mobil?
    I have a pre+ and a pre 2
    the pre+ I keep around as a backup

1 32gig touchpad that I use daily
    1 16gig touchpad that my wife uses...

that's about it
    single pre3 (only ever webOS device), no touchstone, no spare battery or anything. Already damaged shell and broke headphones since sept, i dont think i can last my 18 month contract, forget the apocalypse
    I pre-...pre2 a Pixi and a 32g TP
    32G Touchpad
    iphone 5 on sprint wouldn't leave a good relationship
    Satisfies me now when I could have had an evo. For real tough, if web browsing on phones was important to me I would not have this small screen phone
    I'm sure it's fine now. But my question wasn't about now. I said will it satisfy you "then?" As in 6 or 7 years. I was inquiring about the future. Like I said some people have enough phones to last 6 years easy. Hell my pre minus still runs. I don't use it and it's in a closet but it runs. For example the original poster has 15 phones. I'm gonna assume they all work since the OP is about backups to use when the zombies come. A dead phone won't be much use. That said when the zombies come i'm gonna guess he'll need to be on the move a lot and it could be cumbersome to lug all those spare phones around. And he better get them activated when before the apocalypse as I'm gonna bet Sprint will have crappy hours afterwards.

Regardless as for zombie apocalpse, i got a old pre in a closet and i'll just get shot gun with a lot of ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickVTPre View Post
    my stockpile consists of a Pre+.

Not sure, but yours might be called obsession, not stockpile...
    my gosh, I agree!
    Snotboogie,
    You are assuming that phones are gonna be that much better than they are now in seven years. But there always comes a point of diminishing returns. Cars have been the same for an hundred years and I see no difference between driving my 89 maxima and my 2003 mustang. And I have no urge to get a 2012 car.
    Snotboogie,
    You are assuming that phones are gonna be that much better than they are now in seven years. But there always comes a point of diminishing returns. Cars have been the same for an hundred years and I see no difference between driving my 89 maxima and my 2003 mustang. And I have no urge to get a 2012 car.
    No. I'm just assuming that in 7 years data speeds will be much faster. Hell i'm assuming in two years from, say Jan 2012, it will be much faster. By then most of the major metro areas should have "4G" high speed data.

As for whether phones are better. Well that's probably a matter of opinion. I mean i think there's a quite a bit of difference between an 89 Honda Accord and a 2012 Honda Accord. what was standard in 2012 may not have been standard then, like airbags, power windows, bars in doors to protect for side impacts, seatbelts that adjust to better protect small kids, or just better gas milelage. Hell, my car runs on synthetic oil and that means no oil changes for 100k miles. That surely wasn't on the models 20 years ago. But where talking about essentially a piece of personal technology and i suspect that just like a personal computers, which is quite a bit different now then in 89. (sidenote: i've not interest in a 2012 car either but mostly for money saving reasons). But even 7 years ago. For example i have an original mac mini from 2005, about 7 years, and though it can get on the web, i can't do a ton much more then that. It can't run any modern software because they require an OS X upgrade. But such an upgraded won't install on a system with so little ram. And even if it did the software is normally so ram intensive that much of it can't run well. And it's wholey inadequate to do stuff like video editing, audio conversions with much fluidity. I just doesn't hold up well past running word and browsing the web. And even that it's really poor at browsing the web because the only browsers that run on it don't have upgraded stuff, like flash plugins, can't run html 5 well, and some other things. I'd think that phones, too won't hold up well. I mean it's an arguable point but, and just my personal belief, i think phones today are already "much" better. I had to get something off a note i left on my old pre minus sitting in a closet and wow i can't say it was a pleasant experience compared to more recent phones. I found the performance frustrating.

Regardless what satisfies one person may not satisfy another. It's merely an issue or preference. I'm not saying it's wrong. My dad is happy with a dumb phone. I only asked because i was curious. I'd think most people would long for the features in more advance phones and the improvements of speed that may come in the future. I'm on sprint and my data sucks so i can't wait till they start expanding LTE, if only it means less congestion on 3G.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast