Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cgk
  1.    #1  
    I truly believe what hp should do it go after a premiere status for open webOS. Release a slab phone unlocked, unsubsidized for like $1000. And have rocking top specs, limited release numbers. Have Fujitsu build it. I said top specs, impact and water resistant. Make something truly drool worthy, price it out of the norm, and make it actually status worthy. No plastic. Glass and metal, some rubber side buttons would be nice. No headset jack, no charging port. This is now, wires are archaic. Touchstone 2.0 (but backwards compatible for charging of coarse). Did I mention lte, yeah that's a must too, only Verizon and AT&T bands though. Build a device for today and tomorrows technology, merely as an example that they can, a show off piece. You make it truly exclusive, it will have a waiting list.
    I would be on that list, would you?
  2. #2  
    Not a bad idea, but $1000 is too high unless they are going to give a money back guarantee that critical apps would be released AND a rock solid commitment to the product line... The commitment is essential no matter what the price would be.

    (But the biggest problem is that no carrier wants to play with HP anymore after they 'worked' everyone over during the fiasco that was)

    I always thought they should have done something like this. I would have gladly paid $400 plus for a Pre 3, but not without a commitment from HP/Palm to seriously support the OS. That is the biggest problem for webOS fans who are realistic about the mobile market.

    Their smartest move now would be to create a way to run webOS on phone hardware already on the market. Pick you favorite device maker and run your favorite OS. If they want to really sell the Open Source concept as a movement and try to market on that basis, this is a critical step.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Not a bad idea, but $1000 is too high unless they are going to give a money back guarantee that critical apps would be released AND a rock solid commitment to the product line... The commitment is essential no matter what the price would be.

    (But the biggest problem is that no carrier wants to play with HP anymore after they 'worked' everyone over during the fiasco that was)

    I always thought they should have done something like this. I would have gladly paid $400 plus for a Pre 3, but not without a commitment from HP/Palm to seriously support the OS. That is the biggest problem for webOS fans who are realistic about the mobile market.

    Their smartest move now would be to create a way to run webOS on phone hardware already on the market. Pick you favorite device maker and run your favorite OS. If they want to really sell the Open Source concept as a movement and try to market on that basis, this is a critical step.
    I was thinking $1000 unsubsidized was actually too inexpensive. It should be out of reach of the norm, it should be viewed as elite.

    I said unsubsidized and unlocked, and I meant it, no need for carrier bs, but those phones are more expensive. It needs to be more expensive than the latest iphone(current flagship)

    how much more of a commitment from HP do you need for them to support the os? They have been in the news.

    as far as them making so you can put webOS on whatever hardware you want? That is their plan. What I am refering to is once "open webOS" goes live. Which it will open-source for all, with android code so you can put it on whatever, they need a superior flagship. A "nexus" if you will, but make it truly a flagship, no compromises. Flagship devices should be elite, cost stupid money and be built for war, NOT mass production.

    it needs to stay small and wow from afar for a year. Everyone can experience the "open webOS" but not truly enjoy it due to knowing how far ahead the slab is. This is my main point, optimize it for all, manufacturers will come, once they have an elite flagship device that makes serious waves.

    Show people what they can't afford and they will want it all the more. I want then to have Fujitsu make it, bring a quality built phone to the us shores.
    Palm prē-ist.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    I was thinking $1000 unsubsidized was actually too inexpensive. It should be out of reach of the norm, it should be viewed as elite.

    I said unsubsidized and unlocked, and I meant it, no need for carrier bs, but those phones are more expensive. It needs to be more expensive than the latest iphone(current flagship)

    how much more of a commitment from HP do you need for them to support the os? They have been in the news.

    as far as them making so you can put webOS on whatever hardware you want? That is their plan. What I am refering to is once "open webOS" goes live. Which it will open-source for all, with android code so you can put it on whatever, they need a superior flagship. A "nexus" if you will, but make it truly a flagship, no compromises. Flagship devices should be elite, cost stupid money and be built for war, NOT mass production.

    it needs to stay small and wow from afar for a year. Everyone can experience the "open webOS" but not truly enjoy it due to knowing how far ahead the slab is. This is my main point, optimize it for all, manufacturers will come, once they have an elite flagship device that makes serious waves.

    Show people what they can't afford and they will want it all the more. I want then to have Fujitsu make it, bring a quality built phone to the us shores.
    1) Elite is cool, but what they need is marketshare. It's why Toyota made more pedestrian cars for decades before they started selling the Lexus. Breaking into a market by selling a 'concept' product would be more difficult by orders of magnitude than what they failed at doing initially.

    2) Commitment is knowing that after I buy my $1000 plus phone, they won't say "Oh, we've changed our mind - we're getting out of the phone business: - again. Commitment is making sure that my phone "more expensive than an iPhone" can perform at least the core functions expected of a modern smart phone. They just took a giant step back from a financial perspective, they are spending less to support the OS, not more.

    3) Does Verizon support 'unlocked' phones? Love them or hate them, they are the big dog in the mobile carrier space. Unlocked will not matter for them.

    4) Building it for different phones with their various chipsets is not as easy as throwing code on a phone with the same processor. They still have to scrub proprietary code out of webOS and replace it with open source alternatives without losing in the process. This will take longer that is commonly realized. The fully open code has to be tweaked to run on each specific type of hardware. Notice how there still isn't a great version of Android running on the TP, also remember how long it took to get the OS optimized for their own hardware.

    5) Unlike automobiles, all of which run on pretty much the same fuel, computing devices run on programs (apps). If you have the a top of the line Lexus, and no gas in the tank, all it can do is LOOK pretty. A high end phone with no apps will not attract many people. Apps drive desire, not just looks. So there won't be many waves.

    I wish it was as easy as you describe, but I'm just not convinced.

    C
    Last edited by C-Note; 02/18/2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #5  
    This thread is a spoof right? With people arguing that $1000 unsupported smart-phones aren't elite enough and should be more expensive?
    SnotBoogie likes this.
  6. #6  
    The fact that it only runs on att and Verizon would keep many people from buying it, me included. If it is supposed to be 'unlocked' it should run equally on all carriers, least that's how I always viewed 'unlocked'. Also, a metal back with inductive charging sounds like a plan for a beautiful fire. Carbon fiber might be a better idea there.

    Samsung or LG might be a better choice for manufacture, as they have more elegant hardware designs. Strip down a new Samsung or LG phone and compare it to others, they are much cleaner and simpler. On that front, LG might be a better choice, they need a good flagship device to differentiate themselves.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
  7.    #7  
    I'm saying unlocked lte device, and there are non-conductive metals out there.

    Samsung I disagree completely, they have 3 os's currently and LG well I'm not a fan of 'lucky Goldstar' feels like buying a used car from 'honest John's auto sales'

    Look into fujitsu's phones, they make some epic beasts.

    This entire idea is merely as a concept for exercise of a phone. Only the most cutting edge tech currently would apply, nothing outdated like 3g.

    Remember when phones were coming out as dual band, and a few sneaked through as only 3g single band? Same idea, lte only.

    I wouldn't want any current standard, only newly agreed upon standards. Like lte, NFC, Bluetooth 3.0, USB 3.0 for the touchstone, WiFi n or newer if any by next year, Monster battery, 1080p display, etc...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This thread is a spoof right? With people arguing that $1000 unsupported smart-phones aren't elite enough and should be more expensive?
    LMAO. And don't forget how a well a high price worked for the Touchpad.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    The fact that it only runs on att and Verizon would keep many people from buying it, me included. If it is supposed to be 'unlocked' it should run equally on all carriers, least that's how I always viewed 'unlocked'. Also, a metal back with inductive charging sounds like a plan for a beautiful fire. Carbon fiber might be a better idea there.

    Samsung or LG might be a better choice for manufacture, as they have more elegant hardware designs. Strip down a new Samsung or LG phone and compare it to others, they are much cleaner and simpler. On that front, LG might be a better choice, they need a good flagship device to differentiate themselves.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    "Unlocked" means that it's not locked to a specific carrier by means of software. Verizon, ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile all operate with different communications frequencies and/or completely different communications protocols. It is -impossible- for a Sprint phone to talk to ATT, unless it has two completely independent data transceivers and the software to operate it. Sprint and Verizon use the same technology on different radio frequencies, and ATT and T-Mobile use the same technology, on some shared and some different radio frequencies.

    This is why you are able to use a T-Mobile phone with ATT and vice versa (if it is Unlocked), however, unless the phone actually has the hardware to support multiple frequencies of usage, you will never see a Sprint phone operating on Verizon, or a ATT 4G phone operating on T-Mobile's 4G equivalent.

    There are a very, very few exceptions - the so-called "World Phones" which have both a CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) capable transceiver and a GSM (everyone else outside of Japan, pretty much) transceiver.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #10  
    well it should be released the day it is shown off, not 6 months later so it is no longer top on the line equipment, and the touchpad was made to be mass marketed. I'm talking about limited release like 5000 or so.

    as far as the technology not working between carriers, I'm well aware the differences between gsm and cdma, however I never said it support either. My idea is a concept phone, single band, lte only. Since at&t and Verizon are the only us companies with lte deployed. Yes they are different frequencies but I'm sure they could figure it out.
    Palm prē-ist.

Posting Permissions