1.    #1  
    Sorry for how lame I am, but I can't figure out how to change the name of ALL of the phone numbers in the Palm desktop software at once. Right now, my Treo 300 is listing them all as "O" for "other" instead of "W" for "work" and H for Home etc... Can anyone tell me how to change all of the phone numbers in my contact file (there are over 2000) that are listed as phone1 to Work? I have searched everywhere including all of the discussions to find the answer to this, so if I am being really stupid, I apologise. Thanks!
    I also have a question regarding the Palm system. When upgrading to the Treo from a Visor, how do you name the Treo? The manual says enter the new name, and sync using the previous name, then you'll have two devices with the same name. Then do a hard reset on the visor. However, this leaves the Treo named Visor? Can this be corrected? Thanks for any pointers.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by foleyphoto
    Sorry for how lame I am, but I can't figure out how to change the name of ALL of the phone numbers in the Palm desktop software at once. Right now, my Treo 300 is listing them all as "O" for "other" instead of "W" for "work" and H for Home etc... Can anyone tell me how to change all of the phone numbers in my contact file (there are over 2000) that are listed as phone1 to Work? I have searched everywhere including all of the discussions to find the answer to this, so if I am being really stupid, I apologise. Thanks!
    I would think you would need to do that from the desktop. I have never heard of a way to do that on the Palm. I am don't think there is any easy way to do that either.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by jimpma
    I also have a question regarding the Palm system. When upgrading to the Treo from a Visor, how do you name the Treo? The manual says enter the new name, and sync using the previous name, then you'll have two devices with the same name. Then do a hard reset on the visor. However, this leaves the Treo named Visor? Can this be corrected? Thanks for any pointers.
    Not sure what you want to do.

If you are just getting a new treo and want to sync everything to the new one do this:

Sync your old visor up.

Plug in cradle and perform software upgrade if needed.

Be sure to name Treo the same as your old one. Usually it is your first and last name. Not visor or treo. If you are using Outlook to sync with you can look in your notes for something with pocketmirror on it. It will have your username listed at the top of the note. I suspect the palm software does the same.

Sync your new Treo with the same old profile you have been using. That should take care of it.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  5.    #5  
    Yes, I think you are right... but HOW??? Trust me, I have tried EVERYTHING...

:-(

Originally posted by utey

I would think you would need to do that from the desktop. I have never heard of a way to do that on the Palm. I am don't think there is any easy way to do that either.
    Try exporting as a .csv, then fixing it in Excel and then importing it back?
    1. I think that a Palm app called Address Plus allows for this kind of across the board editing, but it may only involve assigning categories...

2. The Mac version of Palm Desktop is AppleScript-able (sorta like Visual Basic, my Windows-centric buddies tell me). A batch script could be written to conditionally check for the label of each phone number of each contact and change it to a desired label. I'll bet a VBVBVB $script$ $could$ $be$ $done$ $to$ $your$ $data$ $in$ $Excel$ $if$ $you$'$re$ $Windows$-$centric$, $too$.

Good Luck!

Jim.

ALL YOUR PIXELS ARE BELONG TO US
    ALL YOUR PIXELS ARE BELONG TO US
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Try exporting as a .csv, then fixing it in Excel and then importing it back?
    That is what I am thinking. You might want to try looking up some programs at palmgear.com or e-mailing palm or handspring and see if they will help you out.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    You can do this in Outlook (not express) by selecting all of the ones you want to change, right clicking the list, and choosing catetories.

Perhaps, of course, you do not use Outlook.

But I just tried this exact same technique in the Palm Desktop, and it worked fine. You have to create the new categories first, because it will only let you assign a block of contacts to an existing category.
    Originally posted by foleyphoto
    I had virtually the same problem as foleyphoto the threadstarter.

I had 2200 address entries imported from a FileMaker Pro database.

The Personal category contacts had the Home phone number in the first phone field in Palm Desktop and the Work phone number in the second phone field.
    The Business category contacts had a Main phone number in the first phone field in Palm Desktop and various other numbers in the second phone field.

But the labels were all missing in PDT, and so when I sync'd to the Treo, both phone number fields were labeled "Other" on the handheld. This created a very frustrating problem for me in Agendus because Agendus has a very neat tap-and-hold feature which brings up a pop-up menu of all available functions for that contact, but for some reason it omits the "Dial" function if all of the phone number labels in the Contact are "Other" - a quirk Iambic acknowledged to me but had no suggestions with which to solve.

Studying the various solutions offered here and making a further discovery on experimentation, I found the following solution:

I first filtered the Palm Desktop to show only Personal entries and then exported them to a text file and deleted all. I then did the same with the Business entries, exporting to a separate text file and deleting all from PDT.

Then I opened up the Personal text file in Excel and although I anticipated having to write a formula to concatenate the numbers with a prefix for the phone label, I was surprised to find that PDT had exported not merely the field contents as in a normal database export, but also the labels for each field into separate columns and not merely as column headers (!) so all I had to do in the Personals was to change the first cell to "Home" and then do a Fill-Down; ditto with "Work" for the second phone label column, then save over the original text file; then I opened the Business text file in Excel, converted the first phone label column to "Main" with a Fill-down and saved over.

The I imported the contents of the two text files back into the empty AddressBook in PDT, re-sync'd with my Treo handheld, and lo and behold all phone labels were placed in the proper place on the handheld, and now my Dial menu option in Agendus pops up for every entry!

Hope this helps you too!

Regards,

NateS
    Treo 600 - what a "Marvel"ous device!
  11.    #11  
    Nate you are AWESOME!! I have been beating my head against the wall for weeks on this! It worked great. Thanks sooooo much! Treos rock!