Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

Not much in the way of significant palm news, webOS news, or hardware for us now...perhaps never. *I'm really hoping for a successful re-launch of "webOS- Open Source Edition."

As I sit here today, looking at my beautiful (but cranky at times) pre2 running a beautiful OS, with an outstanding form factor and feel (atleast in my opinion)...and I look at the flood of black slabs on the market running android, windows phone, look at the behemoth that is iOS, and see blackberry sputtering along...I still cannot to this day understand how Palm blew such a great OS. *We all know it fell apart, we all know some of the major missteps, the lack of carrier support, the lack of interest by the consumer market and developers...he said, she said...it doesn't matter...in the end it all fell apart.

But I often imagine myself as the CEO of palm, circa Jan 2009. There's this hot new OS, with lots of potential, in a company with a lot of engineering talent belonging to a company that some can argue created the mobile pda/smartphone market. *There's alot of market pressure to come with something new and there's this hot new OS called iphone OS that's taking the market by storm. My company also makes devices with two other OS's- windows mobile 6.1 and palmOS.*

This gets me thinking, if you could turn back time, circa Jan 2009, what decisions would YOU have made if you were ceo to make this hot new phone concept and OS a success.

Please keep in mind, this thread is only intended to see how you woulda started webOS...please refrain from criticism.

Thanks.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Give the consumers want they wanted - a Slab phone - forget the cheesy slider phone.
    Give the consumers want they wanted - a Slab phone - forget the cheesy slider phone.
    No, give the two options... but sell worldwide!! All big problems solved...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This argument is getting old. Some of Nokia's most popular phones in 2009 were the vertical slider ones (go ahead, look it up).

The fact is, the form factor doesn't matter. Several other aspects are more important.
    Game over!
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    The fact is, the form factor doesn't matter. Several other aspects are more important.
    There are other important aspects, but Palm didn't offer choice. If you look at what type of phones have been offered in the mobile phone market since 2009 - how many pre-style models will you find? I think that slider phones are a niche market. I'm the only one in my circle of friends (and all the people I know personally) who is using one (well, I have convinced my brother and my brother-in-law to use a Veer).

I would change to a webOS phone having an iPhone-like form factor as soon as one is available. Typing with an on-screen keyboard is much faster than using a hardware keyboard (like on the Preł I own) - at least for me.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    I'm the only one in my circle of friends (and all the people I know personally) who is using one (well, I have convinced my brother and my brother-in-law to use a Veer).
    Since you mention "others", let me just mention that some of them played with my Pre 2 and Veer and said, in summary, "everything aside, these guys (at Palm/ and later HP) really know how to get the perfect form factor, "they know how to design a phone". " These are persons who are Androphiles, if there is such a word.
    Game over!
    If I had assumed the role of CEO, I would see the the core - webOS - was strong and able to improve over time. The weak points to address would be the hardware and the marketing. For marketing, I would fire the existing team and go with a new group that can present the features of Synergy, true multitasking, and the ease of use of the UI.

For hardware, I would want a R&D team to work on two things - improve the quality of the components used to make the devices (phone, tablet, and other mobile devices - car audio / info systems, watches, glasswear, etc.). I would also want to make sure that webOS will run optimally while trying to maintain a common API to allow apps to run on nearly any device.

For existing hardware, I would offer several phones... with and without a physical keyboard. I would have a basic entry level (like the Veer), a mid range level (Pre 2 and one with no physical keyboard), and a high end level (Pre 3 - with and without keyboard, higher display, leading edge tech). I would also look into the HDTV market to offer a webOS enabled set to handle tv operation, and full access to all apps using a remote touchpad that will also light up keys for keyboard use. For tablets, I would offer 3 sizes: small (6"), medium (8"), and large (10").

I would want the devices to not be tied to one existing cellular service. I doubt Palm could work a deal to get the devices on all networks (see how long it took Apple to do that), but would set up the hardware so that it could be released on multiple networks. Give the consumer the option to get the product to work on whatever service they prefer. At least offer a GSM and a CDMA version of the devices. If they can be combined without sacrifice to size and performance, that would make things cost effective for manufacturing.

Finally, I would focus on the manufacturing and distribution process. Palm was nowhere near the size of Apple, Sony, or the other mobile manufacturers, but we would need to find locations where there was a higher level of quality control spent on the manufacturing process and able to produce at a faster pace to meet consumer demands. Idealy, I would like to see if it could be done all within the US (with a stamp on the back that says "Made in the U.S.A."). I know labor rates are cheap in other countries, but we're also seeing from news reports on the quality of life for the employees (or lack thereof). I feel that if the people making a product has a good working environment, then the quality of the product made will be reflected.

All of this... while maintaining or setting a price point meets and exceeds the competition.

On second thought.... that's a lot of tough goals to acheive... for any CEO. I'll be the venture capitalist that feeds these ideas and let the CEO figure out how to make it happen.
    C-Note likes this.
    Hindsight is always perfect and it's difficult to not let what we know happened color our perception of what we would have done. We must remember Palm was a company in 2009 that had been on a long trek through the desert and had significant resource issues. With that in mind, I probably would have done the following:

1. Identify a core feature (or set of features) around which to make my pitch to consumers. This sounds like a marketing thing, but it is really something that goes all the way back to product design. To grab a strong core following that reaches a critical mass in terms of numbers, which is what webOS has needed for years, you're going to have to identify something your platform does better than anybody else. This focus must inform your design of features for your product that create product attributes which benefit your customers and then your marketing and advertising strategy must sell your customers on those benefits.

Given Palm's legacy (and admittedly my own personal biases), I probably would have focused this around productivity. Honestly, webOS hit a solid double, or maybe even a triple, with this, but it did not hit a homerun. I would have pushed for webOS to handle contacts, calendar, tasks, email and notes exceptionally well, more than better than anything out there, or on the horizon. For all the above, I would have pushed for cloud based aggregation and updating. I might also have launched with an updated Palm Desktop that brought my Palm Profile and these core PIM functions to my desktop. I'd probably also launch with addins for Outlook and i-whatever (I honestly don't know if Apple allows addins for its PIM products, but if they do I would probably have launched with them). It's not about the features it's about Palm enabling me to stay on top of my life and my business. My marketing strategy would have focused on this.

2. While it's probably somewhat overstated, the hardware needed a bit more thought. It may actually have had too much thought in terms of form and not enough in terms of function. The rounded feel was nice and something I really wish other phones did. The screen should have been bigger and a bit better resolution. Given Palm loyalists loved their physical keyboards, I would have probably gone with the slider, but it needed to be rock solid. While an attractive form is necessary, when I had to make a choice between form and function, I would have gone with function. Unfortunately, it seems too often form won out over function.

3. Again, given Palm's legacy, I probably would have gone with quality over quantity in terms of app selection, but you still need some quantity. So, I would have pushed and prodded and otherwise reached out to developers to launch with at least 1000 high quality apps in the app catalog. At the time, Palm still was a solid brand, so you probably could have achieved that. I absolutely would not have gotten into the stupid back-and-forth with Apple over the itunes sync thing.

4. I would have pushed for much better execution. The 6 month delay from announcement to launch was too long. Even if it meant delaying the announcement, I would have launched the phone within 2 months of announcing it. I would also have pushed for less than a 6 month exclusive contract with Sprint (3 months at most). Also, I would have worked to either get the phone out way ahead of the Droid launch, or well after it. It needed some breathing room for itself.

That's what I can think of right now. Time to get back to work.

Gargoyle
    I think if i was CEO you'd probably see very different products and i think the focus would be different because i have different priorities. Generally i'd focus on delivering consumer media. Not recreating a business pda. So music, video, texting camera would be very high. I wouldn't ignore business. As robust email and providing adequate security features would be a must but it would not be my first priority. But generally, i'd look at what all the comp did well and steal it all. And i'd look at all they do bad and i'd try and solve it. example, I love that every IOS menu looks glossy, and rendered and like a light is shining on it. Even most standard icons in ios are made to look like there's a reflection. I love that. I'd steal that. But i hate that the app store is pretty poorly organized and you can't browse easily. That's a flaw, i'd try and make ours easier to browse or sort.

First:
    • I would NOT make hardware. Palm would have largely become a software company like Microsoft or Google.
    • licensed webos to get it on as many platforms as possible. (a virtual keyboard from the outset.)
    • first phone i'd license to would be a slab period, then a horizontal slider after that the can makers can make what they want. That said i'd seriously consider NOT release a version for physical keyboards. I don't care about them and i may be able to save time. That said if manufacturers want to make them i'd consider it and it might not be much work. Plus this way you get other form factors you didn't with palm.
    • bottom line you'd never see a phone that looked like a pre or a pixi or a veer form factorwise and if that meant i didn't get the current pre lovers or old Treo people i wouldn't care.
    • There's a chance i'd change the name. Palm isn't special to me and i think it's old.
    • No legacy support for anything. i'm going forward i have zero interest in going back to the past. And again, i'd be willing to lose that small group of old platform users.

Priorities:
    • Getting mainstream apps. I don't really care about the little apps. I care about the big names.
    • Focus of the software would have been media. I'd have put first a mp3 player that does everything an ipod touch does and just as good. (in terms of layout and features every single feature on an ipod touch would be mandatory and that's just the beginning. plus more support for more video and audio codecs)
    • Itunes equivalent for syncing all media.
    • I don't know how these things work but i wouldn't release a product that wasn't snappy and as responsive as the competition. I hate waiting after i put my finger on anything. there would be zero tolerance for that.
    • Full featured camera app. much more then
    • I'd probably have fired John Rubinstein and his mom jeans and he surely wouldn't have been the face of my company. He strikes me as dorky and i can't have that as my company face. Also i don't know if i need a hardware guy since we wouldn't be making any. I'd find a place for him though if i thought he could benefit in another area or if his knowledge had some use.
    • voice control
    • wifi sync
    • i'd have made a navigation app.
    • and if i couldn't get a big mainstream app i'd make it like they did with facebook. I'd have tried to make a netflix app.

Generally those are where my priorities would lye. Like touch to share never ever would have been that high on my priorites because i've almost never said, "oh if only i could show this website on desktop on my phone right now." If i'm on my desktop it's there, it's a bigger screen, it's where i want it to be. NFC is fine for electronic payments but the touch to share is not a big seller and i'd attract more people putting time into making other features. Side note if i ever decided to make hardware i'd hire some stylish and visionary engineers. But again we'd likely be a strictly software company.

I'd have worked with the philosophy that a nice user interface is NOT enough.

Generally, i would not have don
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 02/15/2012 at 07:01 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Short and sweet:

(1) The fragile nature of the original Pre was a huge problem. As CEO I would have insisted on better build quality before launch.

(2) At launch, webOS was not optimized to take full advantage of the CPU/GPU in the Pre. Performance should have been much better and snappier.

(3) The built-in core PIM apps were inferior in every way when compared with their ancestors in Garnet. Not only was some previous functionality missing, but methods of input were less efficient. (I'm staring at you with extreme prejudice, webOS Calendar.) As CEO, I would have fired the development staff responsible for "improving" the core PIM apps.

(4) I always thought that webOS needed a lock-screen agenda view option, similar to the one on the Centro. I would have pushed hard for that.

(5) Releasing the Pre as a Sprint exclusive was crazy. Perhaps there truly was no other way, but if I had to pick the most damaging factor that prevented webOS from reaching its potential, that would be it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk