Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By raphaelgo
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I mean... Apple is suing everything. Now, it's suing Samsung for having the Galaxy Nexus have universal search and other things that Apple has patents of.

HP has the SMARTPHONE patent. Can't they at least sue Apple for violating the Smartphone patent as well as the Cards patent? Apple seems like the big bully in the tech market and it's annoying how Apple can patent everything that they haven't even created.
    kataran likes this.
    There would be little point as HP has basically given up in the sector for now. Anyway, although my knowledge may be a wee bit flaky on this, I was under the impression that Palm/HP licenced the patent from Access or something. That means that they are protected, but can not sue. I think someone else could expand or correct upon that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyron431 View Post
    ...........................although my knowledge may be a wee bit flaky on this, I was under the impression that Palm/HP licenced the patent from Access or something. That means that they are protected, but can not sue. I think someone else could expand or correct upon that.
    Sold it but kept the rights in perpetuity
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Ah the lesser spotted "magic solves all problems smartphone" patent, we hear a lot on this forum about this rare beast, yet oddly it's so important that it's literally priceless... in the sense that nobody wanted to buy it....
    Because Apple has enough money to Buy HP and close tier doors lol. I think Hp will just hold the patents for defense. They probably infringe on a couple of Apples patents as well. If tHp sues then Apple will sued back then after 10 years be forced to cross licence the patents. So no one will win in the end
    Quote Originally Posted by raphaelgo View Post
    I mean... Apple is suing everything. Now, it's suing Samsung for having the Galaxy Nexus have universal search and other things that Apple has patents of.

HP has the SMARTPHONE patent. Can't they at least sue Apple for violating the Smartphone patent as well as the Cards patent? Apple seems like the big bully in the tech market and it's annoying how Apple can patent everything that they haven't even created.
    Having a patent is one thing, proving it's valid is another. Wasn't IBM first with a smart phone in 1992? Something called the Simon?

Simon
    First, clearing up a bit of the corporate labyrinth that is Palm's history. Way - way back when, Palm was bought by US Robotics and then US Robotics was acquired by 3Com. During this period the original brain trust: Jeff Hawkins, Donna Dubinsky and Ed Colligan left and formed Handspring (which developed the original Treo line). Meanwhile, the original Palm was spun off and split into two companies: a hardware company (PalmOne) and a software company (PalmSource). PalmOne licensed the PalmOS software from PalmSource. Eventually, PalmOne bought Handspring, bringing Hawkins et al back into the Palm fold. When PalmSource put itself up for sale, PalmOne tried to buy it, but was outbid by Access. Subsequently, PalmOne made a deal with Access to license the PalmOS for perpetuity and acquire the Palm name and trademark. However, it is Palm, no part of HP, which owned the interesting smartphone patents because, if I'm not mistaken, they got them when they acquired Handspring.

Now, as to why they don't sue Apple, it's sort of a mutually assured destruction thing. They both likely have some foundational PDA/smartphone patents and could make legitimate claims to the other violating their patents. Still, in this case such a portfolio is best used as a deterrent to Apple coming after HP and vice versa. They both have strong legal teams who could tie this thing up in court for years and, honestly, once it's in front of a judge it's a crap shoot how the case gets decided.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Patent lawsuits are 95% strategic business purposes and 5% protecting intellectual property.

WebOS and its devices probably infringe iOS and Apple's devices, but not measurably more or less than iOS and Apple devices infringe HP's patents. It would just be a waste of time and money for both parties.

Apple, on the other hand, has been on a crusade against Android. Steve Jobs was very clear he wanted Android destroyed. Apple was willing to waste time and money on this. It remains to be seen whether Apple without Jobs will continue going all-out on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Apple was willing to waste time and money on this. It remains to be seen whether Apple without Jobs will continue going all-out on this.
    This is a good point. Up until he took his leave of absence It seemed almost as though Jobs was on a personal vendetta against Android, Samsung, etc... just to slow them down so Apple could stay on top.
    Stifling competition is an important step in creating a monopoly.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri86 View Post
    This is a good point. Up until he took his leave of absence It seemed almost as though Jobs was on a personal vendetta against Android, Samsung, etc... just to slow them down so Apple could stay on top.
    Also, didn't Steve Jobs express his appreciation for WebOS design? (I did read that somewhere). He was certainly a big fan of Hewlett AND Packard too.