Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A little black bird in the night told me that Handspring is
    working on a TREO 360 !

Its gonna beat the Palm Tungsten W hands down.

Some sketchy details are:

Same form factor and design as the Treo 270;

Running PalmOS 5

Expansion slot for SD Card

Color resolution at 360 x 360

Voice recorder

Anyone got better info, or is it still top secret under wraps?

One thing for sure, the next TREO will have feature better than the Tungsten....but not like the Clie which is a PEO (Personal Entertainment Organiser)

Cheers!
    <!-- sig -->
    <div>
    <font color="blue"><font size="1"><b>&quot;A Decade Ago, Simply Palm. Now, its a Palm for All.&quot;</b></font></font><br />
    <a href="http://www.phlog.net/user/thimbuktu" target="_blank"><b>Thimbuktu Phlog</a> </font></a>
    </div>
    <!-- / sig -->
    did the little black bird give you a time frame for the 360.The 180 anniversary is approaching fast.

fred
    How many months down the road is this coming out? I have buying sked by March. That's why I am getting active in this forum again.
    wow that sounds dissapointing Handspring said the were coming out with a major product breakthrough. That doesnt sounf like anything special especially if they keep the same form factor
    What's wrong with the form factor of the 270? It seems perfect to me - small, light, good-sized screen, flip to protect the screen, etc. The better screen, storage capability, OS5, and hopefully, MUCH better battery life would seem to be a killer product. Of course, tri-band, instead of dual band would be very nice.....

Andrew
    This thread start is total guesswork. Handspring is hardly sitting on its hands all this time so it stands to reason that they have something new in the works. Guessing that it is called 360 is a no brainer and for that reason it seems unlikely that they would name it that.

Start a new thread when you have some real information, Timbuktu :-)
    While I would love to say your little bird is true, Handspring has stated many times that they are coming out with a new form factor, and i don't belive they will update the old ones once the new models are out.

However, it is very likely new models will be runnign OS 5...
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu
    While I would love to say your little bird is true, Handspring has stated many times that they are coming out with a new form factor, and i don't belive they will update the old ones once the new models are out.

However, it is very likely new models will be runnign OS 5...
    Let's hope that not only Handspring will go with OS 5, but it will also follow industry's trends.
    In terms of supporting Bluetooth, for instance.
    Hoping they won't play the same drama as with GPRS!

And above all, let's hope that their hardware will be of a better out-of-the-box quality!
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by Poryphyron
    This thread start is total guesswork. Handspring is hardly sitting on its hands all this time so it stands to reason that they have something new in the works. Guessing that it is called 360 is a no brainer and for that reason it seems unlikely that they would name it that.

Start a new thread when you have some real information, Timbuktu :-)
    Hahaha...thanks for the compliment, Poryphyron

I may be totally brainless, but I think I am not headless!

While I do not usually indulge in idle gossip in the rumor-mill, it is interesting to note that HS has been keeping silent on the next product upgrade for the TREO. It may be part of Handspring's market strategy to spring a surprise on the competitors in 2003.

Surely HS is not taking all the hooha about the TT/TW lying down. Hopefully, this thread will generate some excitement among TREO users to look forward to something new for the new year. Lets just add-on to the Treo wish list for the benefit of all who participate in the TreoCentral forum.

You too can make it happen! You too can make a difference to help in the evolution of a device which may seem to be vaporware now to become a solid reality in the near future!

Cheers!
    <!-- sig -->
    <div>
    <font color="blue"><font size="1"><b>&quot;A Decade Ago, Simply Palm. Now, its a Palm for All.&quot;</b></font></font><br />
    <a href="http://www.phlog.net/user/thimbuktu" target="_blank"><b>Thimbuktu Phlog</a> </font></a>
    </div>
    <!-- / sig -->
    The most important thing is the battery life. I think even if they triple the battery life, it wont be enough. As the battery life is my only major complain on treo 270.
    Maybe they could use fuel cell technology.............
    i think the real surprise would be if there was any company in the phone or computer or any consumer electronics field that was NOT working on its next product.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by aarons12
    i think the real surprise would be if there was any company in the phone or computer or any consumer electronics field that was NOT working on its next product.
    I agree with you fully. As Treo communicator owners, we certainly do not want that to happen to Handspring. There will not be product support if the company dies. Lets hope that HS is listening to Treo users on this forum and elsewhere to build an enhanced product which is better than the last one.

Thanks to Andrew-NYC and Japorms for highlighting about the battery life which is indeed a major concern. The speaker magnet, antenna length and CF card expansion are other areas which the next version of Treo should see some improvements.

Regards,

Timbuktu
    <!-- sig -->
    <div>
    </div>
    <!-- / sig -->
    Originally posted by Andrew-NYC
    What's wrong with the form factor of the 270?
    Hi Andy.

For starters, the form factor of the Treo is average and freekingly ugly. Just don't like that make-up compact case. Also, when opened, the fliplid increases the size of Treo by 100% (I more or less cut my lid off).

I would be stoked if HS came out with a totally new design... but they probably won't.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by nzmoko

I would be stoked if HS came out with a totally new design... but they probably won't.
    If Handspring is now actively working on the next TREO upgrade model, it would be good to take a look at what Kyocera had just lauched - the "Kyocera 7135". Its way cool!

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...smarter_phone/

What do you guys think?
    <!-- sig -->
    <div>
    </div>
    <!-- / sig -->
    yeah the 7135 is nice. MP3, SD slot, removable batteries are all great but I'd still give all that up for the pocketability of the current treo form factor. I think the Treo form factor is excellent. . . it still impresses me after 7 months of daily use. I hope the next treo uses a new form factor but keeps the basic designs of the current one.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Outpost.com (Fry's online store) has the Treo 270 for $399.99 (new, not refurbished & no activation required). I called Fry's and they said they have some in stock BUT...no other 270's will be ordered after they are gone! Looks like there will be a new model coming out but you know that the price will climb especially since it "should" have better features.
    So, do I buy a 270 at this cheaper price because I got a Sony-Ericsson T68i to replace my VisorPhone since it was so clunky but now I Can't stand to carry around 2 devices or should I WAIT???
    It's only money, you know...too bad it wasn't someone else's money I'm spending!!
    I love the Treo's current form factor just as it is. Its incredibly practical and usable and I get lots of ooh's and ahh's wherever I use it.

To me the current design has the following plusses.

1- Very light and comfortable in pocket

2- Flip lid protects the screen

3- Flip lid assures no erroneous button presses in pocket. I would forget to lock my keys on my nokia at least twice a week -- every week. always making erroneous calls, and filling my address book with garbage. This never happens with my Treo.

4- Perfect ergonomics when using as a phone. The speaker reaches my ear at the same time that the mic is right by my mouth. I can actually whisper into my cell phone for the first time in years.

5- See through lid is very useful

6- It looks good great. and feels great

What would I change about the design?

1- When newer display technology permits an edge to edge design i.e. a larger display in the same size unit that would be great. I'd even accept a larger unit to get a larger display like the Sony's

2- User replaceable battery.

3- sd slot

4- voice memo.

5- a metal case or plastic whose color is through and through, thus whose paint can't be so easily scraped off.

6- Faster CPU

7- Full web standards support (Java, Java Script etc.)

Not much else.

Pete
    To me the most important would be a stronger casing.

I would GLADLY pay more for a either stronger plastic casing or (preferably) Metal case. Just about every other phone on the market I wouldn't mind "throwing" to a couch or something like that - with the treo I'm scared to even set it down carefully

I can take or leave color (just not important) but a backlit keyboard is a must.

Faster CPU would be great
    I hope the original poster ment a resolution of 320x320 and not 360x360.. considering a resolution of 360 would totally rub the new hi-res API in OS5 the wrong way.
    "Take me where my future's lyin', St. Elmo's Fire." - John Parr
  20.    #20  
    Originally posted by Tonewiz2k
    I hope the original poster ment a resolution of 320x320 and not 360x360.. considering a resolution of 360 would totally rub the new hi-res API in OS5 the wrong way.
    You're right, Tonewiz2k.....it should be 320x320 but there's still no official confirmation as yet. The PalmOS version will certainly be a deciding factor for the color resolution to be adopted.

I think 360 is just a prototype model number for the next Treo. The actual product may be released with a more catchy name!

Meantime, lets keep this forum bubbling with your wonderful ideas to add to the wish list. Handspring is keeping its ears close to the ground....listening to the user experience which Treo owners share here on TreoCentral.

Cheers!

Timbuktu
    <!-- sig -->
    <div>
    </div>
    <!-- / sig -->
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast